don't click here

Best Musical Score in Sonic

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheKazeblade, Jul 18, 2012.

What Games Have the Best Music?

1. Classics (1/2/3/3K/CD EU-JP-US)

50.6%
  2. Game Gear (1/2/Triple Trouble, etc.)

2.6%
  3. Post-Classic Era (Spinball/3D Blast MD-Saturn/Sonic R/ Fighters, etc.)

3.8%
  4. Dreamcast Era (Sonic Adventure/SA2/Shuffle)

7.7%
  5. Post-Dreamcast Era (Heroes/Shadow/'06)

3.8%
  6. Dimps Era (Advanced 1,2,3/Rush Series/Colors DS, Generations 3DS)

0.6%
  7. "Modern" Era (Unleashed/Colors/Generations)

28.2%
  8. Sonic 4 ep. 1-2 (Lol)

1.9%
  9. Other (Riders, All-Stars, or other spin-offs)

0.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hukos

Hukos

Really? Maybe I'm a sucker for a synth riff that's actually well done (aka not from a shitty 80's pop band). At Dawn is one of those songs that is greater than the sum of it's parts to me. The opening piano melody, bass, percussion, synth are decent enough on their own but once they kick in together into a solid riff it's when the song is pure bliss for me just cause the chemistry between them all is so perfect. I also have a massive hardon for songs that follow the bass/percussion intro -> 1st riff formula when it's done right and allows for some variation (like mixing things up in the middle of the song and not just repeating that first riff ad infinitum).

I could honestly write a good essay on why I love At Dawn so fucking much.

2. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    At Dawn surely is beautiful. It would be my favourite from Sonic Adventure, wasn't it for Be Cool, Be Wild and Be Groovy's existence.

Now, I'm not the one for vocal tracks, but I just love when voices are used as some kind of instrument, accompanying the tune rather than taking the central spot. In that department, I believe Sonic CD does what Sonic Rush nintendon't. The line between complimenting and annoying is sort of blurry, it seems, because I'd take US version boss' creepy laughter over Ska Cha Cha's awkward lyrics any day.

And I wasn't raised with the classics, except for Sonic the Hedgehog [MS/GG]. I still think Quartz Quadrant Good Future (JP) is more beautiful than At Dawn, but~! This is probably due to our general personal preferences when it come down to music. You could write an essay on At Dawn, I could write an essay on QQGF based on how that acustic guitar puts me to ease no matter my mood.

3. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I voted dreamcast, although I was almost going to vote 8 bits.

also, I know this doesn't really fit here, but you HAVE to listen to this

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Their bass is so far off key throughout the entire song it's not even funny.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    So goddamn painful to listen to. Was this a challenge to see how long it took me to shut that shit off?

6. In its defense I think it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek.

7. I'd say any game Tatsuyuki Maeda had a hand in composing, would be my favorite. (Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3D, Sonic Advance 1, 2, 3, Sonic Battle, Sonic Pinball Party)

8. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I would say that the best music in the series belongs to the Modern Era and that also includes Sonic '06.

The classics are what they are, and the YM2612 is the best oldschool console synth ever made, but Sonic '06-Generations was right on the money.

Heroes/Shadow/Sonic 4 can all fuck themselves.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    If we're talking about soundtracks as a whole, I agree with you. But Heroes had some gems buried in the shit.

10. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    I ended up voting for the modern era. I loved the variety of music styles based on each region in Unleashed, and that alone won my vote. Generations put some cool new spins on classic tunes as well which further solidified my decision.

If I could give a second-place vote, it would be for the Dreamcast era. I'm a big fan of Senoue's rock style used in SA1 and 2. (And Heroes, but that got lumped into the post-Dreamcast era with Shadow and '06, both of which have soundtracks I'm not particularly fond of.)

11. BornFlunky

BornFlunky

Why must all my favorites be from different selections? I eventually went with the Post-Dreamcast era because of '06, mainly, with a bit of Shadow on the side. I admit, I'm a fan of the vocally-driven soundtracks, with a deep appreciation from the 'normal' music that I also enjoy. To be honest, my favorites are Sonic Adventure 2, Unleashed, '06 and (of all things) Riders. Catchy~

12. Chaos Warp

Chaos Warp

Sonic: Fighting off zombies behind the scenes sinc Member
    For me, it's gotta be a tie between SA1 and Unleashed. SA1 has quite a bit of variety, but mostly within a certain "electronic rock" style which I really loved. And as cheesy as they were, I loved the character themes as well. No need to mention Open Your Heart at this point and how awesome of a song it is, because it's been said a million times already. I just love the style of all of SA1's music, it's just something about it. As for Unleashed, I love it because of the worldly, epic feel it had, with each music piece perfectly fitting the setting that they are placed in. Add in some orchestral stuff for cutscenes and the final battle and such and such and you have a winner.

Honourable mention to Generations for awesome remixes, even if the soundtrack is basically entirely composed of just that: remixes.

13. Pigeon

Pigeon

Nothing really
    Urg, I'm torn between too many things. Classic, 8-bit, SA1 and Modern all have extremely good music, can't I just pick them all? :psyduck:
    In all seriousness, I might actually pick 8-bit, even though I don't really listen to their music too much. But when I do, it's always a joy to my ears (Sonic 1 Master System/Game Gear credits springs to mind) and I find even the worse of the 8-bit games have some good tracks. Even Sonic Blast, it's Green Hill music being sometimes quite catchy for me. Also, because they are 8-bit, they are extremely remix-able, leading to more great music. Although I cannot deny that Sonic Unleashed and Colours had some AMAZING orchestral themes, I think I will vote 8-bit games.

14. Falk

Falk

As voting on any one equally eligible choice (in my opinion) would do the rest a disservice, I have opted to vote for Sonic 4 so that I do all of them a disservice.

Fair is fair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.