don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ If someone can get those skills working 100% in 3D, we'll have finally achieved the perfect Sonic gameplay in 3D

Still hope we can fix classic Sonic's spindash in 3D though.

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I imagine there's no way to screw with z-sort to make these effects not clip into the ground?

3. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    does the magnet effect of the electric shield work? It's kinda hard to tell while boosting.

4. If modern could spin dash as well, that would be awesome.

5. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    It would also wreck the point of Classic Sonic...

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    A while back, Dario FF found that the "Ar00Pack" program in Generations Archive Editor did not actually do anything with the value passed to the /pad parameter when packing. Since somebody else recently encountered a bug (which I had already fixed) I decided to fix this bug.

7. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    So last night I took up the task of looking for the last piece of the puzzle that is the Unleashed Renderer.

Looking at the hex code of the shader files, I've got a long road ahead of me :/

8. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member

Here's a little weekend project I did to show off the potential of layers, and hopefully get someone interested that it's indeed possible to make nicely playable levels, even with no 3D modelling skills... Since that's what I get asked about all the time. :v: There's a download included, but it's not a really polished level, so don't expect much out of it.

I've discussed it with Korama, the most obvious explanation is that it's defaulting to the HUB rendering as if the stages were incomplete. The shader parameter it uses is called "mrgPlayableParam", so you might want to start looking at how to either force a different value for that, or just outright disable it(which a simple hex-edit won't do sadly, since it seems to be default to non-playable in the shader itself as well).

9. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    So what does the pad value in the Generations Archive Editor do anyway? I've always been curious, it must be important for something; I usually just stick it at the default 40 though.

10. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    From the IRC:

<ChrisHighwind> Alright, so I'm looking in the hex for global.psparam, looking for some way to modify a certain parameter, when I find this: "mrgPlayableParam.......4W"
    <ChrisHighwind> It's the only time I see it by itself
    <ChrisHighwind> So I assume this is the value I may need to change, but the question is, what should I change it to...?

EDIT: So changing the 4W to something random didn't seem to work, but I did find what could quite possibly be something Korama put in pastebin regarding mrgPlayableParam, which (seeing as I found it through Google) I'm not exactly comfortable linking just yet.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    It pads each file's header so that the data starts at a multiple of the padding value. No idea if it actually makes a difference to the game, but some files use different values.

By default, the GUI program will remember the padding value from the original file.

12. Truly Remarkable. :rolleyes:

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Didn't Twlightzoney add a spindash for modern in his hack? or was it just a roll? can't seem to remember.

14. I know this is probably the absolute WORST site to ask this, but I've got to know: What use would the Spindash be on Modern Sonic? I mean, yes, I whole-heartedly agree that it would be nice aesthetically, and it doesn't make much sense that Sonic doesn't roll anymore. But from a gameplay perspective, what exactly would the Spindash do that the Boost doesn't achieve? The last time I saw the Spindash in 3D was in Sonic Adventure, and it was difficult to aim, in my opinion. The only use for it that I can think of would be as a Boost replacement if the gauge is empty. It would bring you to max normal speed in an instant, but without the continuous propulsion of the Boost. The only real level-design use for it would be to be able to break a couple walls if the player ran out of Boost energy, but I'm not entirely sure that mandatory breakable walls would be a good idea. It seems as though it would break up the flow of the game. I didn't even like the mandatory Spindash areas in the 2D Classic levels.

15. I agree. That's exactly it. The Spin Dash would be useless on Modern Sonic because it's already useless in 3D too. Even in the Sonic Adventure games (and 06 maybe) people spammed it in a way that it is really just Modern Sonic's boost. Only reason I can see is "nostalgia", or maybe "because it's there". What about in Rush? When do you ever use the Spin Dash in that? Even though it's there I find myself boosting for the entire stage anyway. The same would be true for Unleashed/Colours/Generations.

16. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Boost was made to replace Spindash in 3D, and sliding was made to replace rolling in 3D.

17. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Now that you bring it up, you know what I really miss? The super peel-out. IMO, it's a nice balance between the boost and spindash; Having the speed and quickness to execute similar to the boost, but not being extremely to achieve, as in a button press away. You have to stop and charge, but it only takes a second, and you can't hold it for the whole level. Anyway, tangent over.

18. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    This. Sliding devolved the rolling mechanic to only have 'attack' and 'crouching' functionality, removing the actual 'rolling' aspect from the move. The original roll allowed Sonic to speed up (by garnering momentum), and navigate areas in a different way than running, given certain geometrical situations within the stage, but the slide blatantly lacks this aspect (because the player can just boost their way through/past those instances). This bothers me, because this change abandoned many level design opportunities.

Similarly, boost simply took the Spin Dash and removed its rolling aspects (and by extension, its limitations and weaknesses) thus overpowering it vastly.

Therefore, what I truly think needs to be replaced is the slide mechanic, for rolling. This way the player can more flexibly utilize the technique in more varying ways (I.e. Boost+Roll would be sort of a Spin Dash equivalent). Rolling is simply a better way for Sonic to attack on the ground than sliding to me, especially if you cannot boost in a situation.

19. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Alright, so I've got the exe file showing up right in IDA Pro, but now I'm at a loss as to where to go next...I don't know anything about disassembling an exe, or about the shaders and renderers

20. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    3:40 - Lobotomy beat you to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uGpCWDnAMo

You guys are really starting to piss me off with this whole boost vs spindash debate AGAIN. In this thread specifically. Geez. I don't mean to backseat mod but ugh.

Generations has Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic. Classic has spjndash and rolling, Modern has boost and sliding. They're two mechanics that work similar but function differently for their own reasons. Spindssh can be used infinately, Boost withour skills cannot, however boost keeps you on a set path longer than the spindash.

Get. Over. It. FOR FUCKS SAKE ;_;

Although if the spindash could be used as a simple means of gaining speed when you run out of boost, that'd be cool I guess, but then again if you ran out of boost that's kind if your fault isn't it? If you hate boosting so much, how'd you run out? ;P