don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Indeed, the super sonic loading screen is nice, and nice model for Neo Sonic, plus the nice title screen including Classic, and Modern Metal Sonic I can't wait to see how Modern Neo Metal Sonic looks like.
    Brilliant job, Well done!
    [​IMG]

2. princeofknaves

princeofknaves

Detroit, Michigan
    Entropy Engine, Knuckles The Echidna Game
    yes but progress is being made so I shall put on my victory hat. which looks suspiciously like a nacho sombrero.

ALSO is it me or do I come off as a condescending jerk whenever I type something?

3. How would I go about uploading the templates to the SVN? I have TortoiseSVN if that helps any.

4. Just as a heads up—The megaupload links on the first page are dead :(

5. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    That's an awesome video. Love the Neo Metal.

6. KuroBit

KuroBit

Just a quick question...
    Where are the title screen assets located? This is the first hack I've seen that edits those, so I had assumed they were semi-hardcoded or something.

7. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    Now you guys can finally see the Metal Sonic mod in action (instead of just screenshots.)

That isn't the first time I edited the models on the title screen. (And I know that at least a few other people have done title screen mods too.)

But to answer your question, most of the assets are found in Title.ar.00. It includes the logo, text, and the 3D Models of both Sonics.

TitletoPAM.ar.00 has textures showing both Sonics doing their stomping animations. You'll realize why those are significant when you try changing what the Sonics look like on the main title screen.

8. KuroBit

KuroBit

Woops, I wasn't aware of any.
    Oh... really?... "Title"?? I can't belive I wasn't able to find that... I'll go have a look again lol.
    I'm pretty sure it's significant even before you change the models :P. It's pretty easy to see that he transforms into an animated texture when the game's loading. (Especially since he speeds his animation up about 8x as fast)

9. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    As some of you may or may not have discovered, the ghost files are stored in binary files. The naming convention is <lvl>xxx.gst.bin (ex: ghz203.gst.bin is ghz modern's file) I started picking them apart, and here's how they kind of work:

Ghost Data Files:
    Code (Text):
    2. long - ActionCount
    3. long - GPS Node Count
    5. ActionArray[]
    6. GPSNodeArray[]
    8. Action Definition:
    9. string (padded to 0x20)
    11. GPS Node Definition (0x28 bytes):
    12. 4 bytes - unknown (first byte is always 0x3C or 0x3D)
    13. vector3 - position
    14. quat - rotation
    15. 4 bytes - unknown (almost always 0 - might be 2 short ints)
    16. float - unknown
    I am reasonably certain that there is a function embedded inside of sonicgenerations.exe that will record this data FOR YOU. However, I don't know where to begin looking for this sort of thing. I spent about an hour trying to figure out what the unknown variables do, but no luck yet. I'll continue in the morning. Let me know if you have any ideas.

10. KuroBit

KuroBit

That would be very interesting. Hopefully they left that feature somewhere in there.

11. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    Until this morning, I had completely forgotten that I could make things brighter or darker by editing values in the materials.
    I finally made Hyper Sonic's fur brighter.

Also includes a slightly faster Classic Hyper Sonic, both Hyper Sonics with an "Invincibility star" styled aura, as well as Super Tails, Super Knuckles, and an interesting variant of Espio.

12. Looks like someone started Flame Core, It looks like shit!

13. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    I hope they look good, the developers made them. :v:

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Ugh, don't clutter up the thread here as well with stuff like that... There's nothing interesting or new, and it looks like crap. There's no reason for it to look like crap now, this isn't something new like it was back in March(and heck, we have a tutorial on the wiki for it). If you give them attention, you can't up the standards. It's like if you posted basic Palette or Layout hacks in the other threads. The fact that it's "released" shows very little care from the author for his work.

In something more interesting, something I've been coding that will be necessary, Layer support.
    [​IMG]

The game has objects to show/hide layers while playing(it's the way the "lap" missions worked in Unleashed), so it'll be quite useful for a lot of stuff. Plus, it helps keep your layout organized. I'm afraid the Category filtering for the View menu will get scrapped though, as the inclusion of layers doesn't make it as useful. Individual layers have checkboxes for their visibility, so it makes more sense to just have the functionality there.

15. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    @Flame Core: Damn it, I was going to do that. And make it with all of the bumps and crap so it's near-impossible due to cheap deaths. It looks really, really bad though.

@DarioFF: That's awesome. Now, we can make small levels that loop >:D

16. That there is cool :specialed:

17. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

At my home in Florida
    Hey guys. Remember how a few people have made posts, images, and videos showing how Classic Sonic's exclusive skills worked when used by Modern Sonic? Remember how most of them didn't work, or had no graphics, or even caused the game to crash

Well...

First, I altered Modern Sonic's skill parameters in sonic.prm.xml. That allows Speed Shoes, Invincibility, and Ring Time to last the proper amount of time for him.

But even BETTER is that I got the GRAPHICS of those skills working! All I had to do was add the models, textures, and the .gte+.gtm effect files to Modern Sonic's ar.00 file!

Here are some screenshots:

1. Fire Shield graphics are working. I still don't know how to add the extra jumps to Modern Sonic, but the graphics work! Also, I was testing out the speed shoes at the same time. It grants a HUGE speed-boost in side-view, and a barely noticeable boost in 3D (However, he moves a lot faster while in midair.) It lasts the full amount of time, and the Sonic Adventure speed-up song plays if you're using alternate music (The game stops playing music at all if you're not using an alternate song. It only plays music once you exit the stage, die, or restart the stage.)
    [​IMG]

2. Yes, Modern Sonic is immune to fire while using the Fire Shield.
    [​IMG]

3. More of the fire immunity. This time, standing on lava.
    [​IMG]

4. Thunder Shield graphics. Still has insanely low ring pull radius, and no second jump...
    [​IMG]

5. Thunder Shield + Ring Time. Remember that Ring Time applies a wobbly circle effect to Sonic. As you can see, Ring Time works perfectly. Seeing all those Cop enemies turn into rings as you run down the building is hilarious.
    [​IMG]

6. Invincible Start. I got the Invincibility graphics working, and it lasts the full 16.8 seconds too!
    [​IMG]

7. It's hard to tell, but I just jumped into the enemy in this screenshot. As in, I did a hop and not a spin-jump or homing attack. Since I'm invincible, the enemy died when I touched it.
    [​IMG]

8. Here's the Aqua Shield! The reason why the game freezes instead of showing no graphics is because the Water Shield uses a .model file, while most of the other effects only use .gte + .gtm files. And yes, Sonic has unlimited breath underwater while using the Aqua Shield. Also, Sonic's doing his underwater idle animation in this screenshot.
    [​IMG]

9. The regular barrier. Like the Aqua Shield, it uses a .model instead of a .gte + .gtm combo.
    [​IMG]

10. This one isn't skill related to any of the above screenshots, but I felt like showing it anyway. I replaced Super/Hyper Sonic's aura with the Invincibility star effect. As in, the actual effect and not that fake one seen in my previous video.
    [​IMG]

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Could you maybe switch the homing attack button to another button or map skills to an extra button? Maybe then you could use them.

But that's so awesome how you got them to show up in 3D. I hope you release that mod separately when you're done with it.

19. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    How did you do this? Can this be used to make the classic item boxes function with modern sonic? oh god I hope so.

20. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

At my home in Florida
    Still doesn't work. D:
    When I set the Homing Attack to the X button, it didn't allow the extra jump from the shields. Also, I have no idea how to make the shields use a different button, so...

I extracted the numerous .model, .gte, .gtm, and .dds files for those effects from SonicClassic.ar.00, then added them into Sonic.ar.00. The only other thing I did was edit Sonic's parameter file to make Invincibility, Speed-Up, and Ring Time last for the proper amount of time.

This should allow the item boxes to work with Modern Sonic, since the item boxes are just the skill's effect in the form of an item (from what I can tell.) There still is no way I know of to get the extra jumps for the shields, nor do I know how to make the Speed-Shoes work better in 3D.

EDIT:
    Here are all of those "item" skill fixes in video form.