don't click here

Amateur moments playing Sonic games

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Samurai Echidna, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

Ah, yes, that level. it haunts me even to this day. I was also pretty bad in those Labyrinth levels in Sonic 1 til I discovered the shortcuts.

2. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Of course the barrel in CNZ 2 definitely screwed me over when I was a kid, so did the engine room in DEZ at first. I remember I thought the door would open at random until I figured out hitting the red bumpers would open it. :v: And in WFZ the part when you have to jump on those platforms that open and close, I would fall off every time I took that route. I didn't even noticed there was another way around that until I was older. :v:

3. jbr

jbr

For some reason I never realised that holding the jump button when bouncing off stuff returns all the energy from your jump height until my older, emulation-playing days, which I guess is kind of an amateur thing. It took me until recently playing Sonic VR to discover that in fact you gain a small amount of momentum for each badnik you hit. Really exemplifies the quality of the physics engine when casual players like me are still discovering out more about it!

Interestingly, it was always CNZ2 for me, even after I learned about the barrel. I think it's the only act in the whole series that ever gave me a Time Over.

4. Doppelgengar

Doppelgengar

Actually not too long ago, I had the same issue with CNZ2, and if I wasn't able to beat the boss in seconds with Super Sonic, I most definitely would've had a time over. On the other hand, my most recent Sandopolis Act 2 was like 5/6 minutes instead of the normal 8/9. I was proud.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

You mean when you go off rainbow ramps and the announcer goes "GOOD! GREAT! AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING!"? Those moment when the A button is flashing on the screen?

6. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    One I can definitely remember is that when you attempt a Spin Dash at the beginning of Emerald Hill Zone Act 2. I always found it weird that Sonic stops rolling as soon as he hits the bridge. I think I've done this a few times, sometimes forgetting about it when I want to speed through.

7. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    I never had a problem with Sandopolis 2.

On the flipside I hate Marble 3.
    And now I'm better at Sonic than a dude who helped make it?

I'll be fighting the bitches off now.........

8. Shadow-Striker

Shadow-Striker

Sonic Medley
    Two words: dat barrel.

Other than that I remember that when I played Sonic (1) for the first times I couldn't get past that area with spikes and moving pillars from Green Hill. Not to say about the bosses of Spring Yard and Labyrinth Zones. In Sonic 2 the same thing happened in Metropolis.

Well, at least I'll never make the same mistakes again :v:

9. Deef

Deef

The button in Marble Zone. Simply couldn't figure it out. :specialed:

Many months later, my younger cousin is watching me play and just tells me what to do straight away.

And here I was thinking I was special for not having trouble with the barrel.

10. Dakt

Dakt

After years and years playing Sonic 2 8 Bit, there's still several cheap deaths I fall for every time, particularly in GMZ and SEZ.

Oh, and that barrel. I don't play S3K particularly often, so there's always a split second "uh..." when I reach it :v:

Edit: And how could I forget the Labyrinth Zone boss. I kept using all my lives trying to hit Robotnik on my first few playthroughs.

11. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Edit: wrong thread, please trash >.<

12. Kampfer

Kampfer

At one point, after playing Sonic Colors, I was playing Planet Wisp in Generations and I got a Rocket Wisp. I then tried to shake my Xbox controller to activate it.

13. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I feel ashamed. I was bored yesterday and decided to play "Sonic 3D: Flickies Island" on the MD. I only just realised that the orange shield (not the fire one) was a homing attack shield! I never tried pressing the jump button in mid-air with the orange shield until now! I always wondered why there was an orange version of the blue shield, and now I know why!

All these years, the amount of times I've played Sonic 3D, and only now do I know it's a homing attack shield! My life would have been miles easier if I knew this back then! =P

14. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten screwed over by the spring in the beginning of Green Hill Zone Act 3. Every time I use it, a motobug just happens to be where I intend to land. It's even worse on that crappy GBA port of Sonic 1 when you can't even see the motobug. It wasn't until some time ago that I spotted the invincibility monitor in the tree at the start on both the original game and the port. It's like the level designers knew that the enemies were going to troll you at the beginning of the act.

15. Sonic Scotland

Sonic Scotland

Glasgow, Scotland
    Project Hawick
    Amateur moment? Perhaps. More of an amateur attempt at completing Sonic & Knuckles WITHOUT collecting all the Chaos Emeralds. It's a big face palm moment for me considering I am a veteran of the main console series.

[​IMG]

I shall strive to improve on my gaming technique when tired and joyless!!! :argh:

16. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I'm always getting screwed over waiting for a motherfucking air bubble in Labyrinth Zone. I've always wondered if there's a trick to them or if its just random when they pop up.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    You seem to be confused. One of those two guys is a professional comedian. The other guy was hired as part of the show's behind-the-scenes staff (and thus that's the reason he's not super comfortable on camera as you see).

On topic, in honor of Sonic 2 turning 20 in a few days, I'm trying to get a recording of me playing EHZ in 20 seconds, but the best I could do yesterday in several runs was only 27 or so.

18. For years, I was rusty with Sonic 3 and the physics of Classic games, to the point where I'd rev too much spin dash on the moving wall section of Hydrocity Act 2 and get constant game overs.

19. Kaieo

Kaieo

First of all I could never get the level A's on Sonic's levels in Adventure 1. Then one day I was flicking through YouTube and It took me that long to figure out about the spin dashing into an incline and jumping. I also thought it was faster to run than using the spin dash O.O

Second of all there is Chemical Plant, I know as kids most of us drowned in the water rising part but that didn't bother me THAT much. It is the part after that I carefully jump on the platforms start to run and I fall down the floor that turns over. I never learned and in the end I got my dad to do that part for me, If he wasn't there then there was constant breaks to keep me sane. I seriously don't know why that gave me so much hassle. I also keep falling on the turning floor at the boss. That was another part of rage-quitting. Then my dad showed me the trick to keep bouncing on him. Thanks dad :3

There is obviously the barrel in Sonic 3, which at a young age I found out no bother but about a year ago I went back to the game and had to go on YouTube -.-*

On the topic of Sonic 3 I will end it with Blue Spheres. I had no problem getting the first few stages, me and my dad would play them memorizing them. And I hope everyone done this but when I locked on Sonic and Knuckles as Knuckles I thought you had to get the RED spheres
    -__-* that obviously didn't go well.

20. Graxer

Graxer

When I was quite young I used to get stuck on Sandopolis Zone Act II's looping sand slides. I got many time overs there, due to somehow being unable to work out how to leave the looped area! Nowadays it comes so naturally to me that I barely notice the looping part. The same thing happened with the Carnival Night barrel of course, but it did for almost everyone! :v:

Also, I used to regularly drown in Aquatic Ruin Zone, whereas nowadays it is very rare for me to even touch the water!