don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. FlashingYoshi

FlashingYoshi

idk, maybe if Pending Approval allowed wiki edits Member
    Oh... Thanks anyways! I think it has something to do with the ground (think I was running really fast while invincible or something... I did the same thing in Sonic CD once by running into the spikes at the end of PP1 BF O.o) Oh, and I know that they're Gens+, just forgot. You're smart enough to figure out anyways. And I've seen quite a few posts regarding the grabbing on. But don't get yourself banned! I'm looking forward to another few releases of Sonic Heroes-themed hacks. But really, I don't think one mistake is gonna get you banned. At least hope not. =P
    Really, why does Gens+ have so many things that Gens/GS lacks? I mean, when was the last Gens+ release? '06, '07? Granted, I'm using release 7, but...

Oh, and just ran into a few Cloudflare issues. Hate when that happens. Also, on the wiki, sometimes I get a gz file instead of a php/html file. Might report this to Scarred Sun or Cinossu.

EDIT: Wow, happens on SegaRetro too! D=

2. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    As in an in-game save-state? Yeah. If you're referring to a savestate done with the emulator, no.

3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    [​IMG]

Knuckles is stuck in this animation here *runs*

Winding you up, mate. Although, I did spot two more bugs:

[​IMG]

A tag/priority issue here. I've never noticed it here in the real Sonic 2. Maybe because I switched character at this point? I'm unsure how I did it.

Also, the drowning bug (get hurt then drown) still exists, and happens on all 3 characters. I did a fix the other day if you want to look.

4. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    New revision is out: grab it while it is hot (mirror).

This is probably the last bugfix revision I will do for now; the next revision will have more than simple bugfixes (unless a critical show-stopping bug is unearthed).

Enhancements over previous revision:
    • Small layout change in SYZ2, most visible at the end of the level with Tails.
    • Layout changes in MZ (all acts) so people will stop complaining about Knuckles not being able to climb sprites. Also added something in these levels for explorers.
    • If AI on S2 special stages is disabled, the single player HUD is shown instead.
    • Removed last traces of old options screen and level select menu.
    Enhancements over original games:
    • Small optimizations in S2 special stage physics.
    Bugs fixed from previous revision:
    • Entering special stages from options screen correctly fades everything to white.
    • Special stage entry sound plays if you gain an extra life at the end-of-act score tally.
    • Knuckles incorrectly did not check collision with terrain when gliding, falling from glide or sliding if the bit for being standing on an object was set.
    • GHZ edge wall object did not correctly set its standing height and horizontal position.
    • Having Tails drag a character onto the big ring will now correctly remove the character from the world.
    Bugs fixed from the original games:
    • S2 special stages now have symmetric animations with regards to the vertical and horizontal center lines.
    • S2 special stage bomb collisions keep the sign of angular speed.
    • Time over when drowning and time over when dying bugs; getting hurt then drowning bug; all based on code by RedHotSonic.
    • No more monitors hidden in walls in SBZ2.
    • Added some path swappers in CPZ2 to fix priority issues.
    • Climbing animation issue if touching the side of a sprite before jumping to climb.

Now, one of the things I am planning is for both Team Super and Team Hyper (both of which will be on the next revision) to die when the number of rings gets to zero. I am asking the "hive" to give suggestions on how many rings you folks think they should start with. A per-level value would be great, but not required; my main issue is that I know the fastest routes by heart, and rarely ever fail to get into them (even though I am not all that good as a regular speedrunner), so I would be a bad judge of that. The numbers should be low enough to present a challenge, but not low enough that you are forced to go sprinting to the end grabbing rings as fast as possible.

5. I think just a general 50 rings is good to start off as if they're getting it as soon as the level starts. I rarely ever de-transform when going Super/Hyper, and with an extra 50 rings, I doubt that I ever would. Maybe when every emerald is collected and you can become Hyper, then you can set the initial rings to 75 or something around that as a more of a reward for beating all the special stages

6. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what he means though, is a Team Super/Hyper where they start as Super/Hyper, and you must try to make it through the zone as these characters. This is just like MainMemory's SuperSonic challenge. I'm very much looking forward to this.

ONE thing that I've never seen though, and would really work well and fit with this concept, is that Team Hyper eats rings faster than Team Super. Any chance we could see something like this? (Making Team Hyper more of a harder mode... set their starting ring counts lower, requiring skill to that of speedrunners, while Team Super can have easier starting ring counts.)

Just an idea.

7. flamewing

flamewing

France
    I like the idea of tighter limits for team Hyper, given they are more powerful, and since all invincibility monitors turn into speed shoes for them. Maybe I could do a not-perfectly-optimized TAS of all levels and add a small margin of safety for Team Hyper, then increase it by 10-20 rings for Team Super? Given there will still be rings in the levels, it would allow normal players to survive long enough, I guess.

The flat 50 rings suggestion does not work well because of FZ -- 50 rings would be a death sentence there, as it takes at least some 10 seconds longer than this to beat Eggman there. Unless I add some way to get rings during the fight; maybe have the red thing throw some rings away instead of the energy orbs (which, lets face it, are harmless for those teams). Cutting the bit with the energy spheres and have Eggman go all out might also work -- and would be one heck of a challenge!

8. Maybe do something along the lines of Sonic Adventure 2's Super fight, when Sonic and Shadow have different ring counts, but that I'm guessing would make complications, if that's even possible. If it is, maybe just do it for boss fights. Or maybe don't do the initial ring amounts for boss fights, because being invincible in the final bosses would be WAY too easy

9. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I prefer the idea of implementing rings in some fashion in the final bosses. It would require some level of creativity to make it work... and that thought alone makes me very interested in seeing it in execution... and based on the work on this thus far, I think we will get a good result. Playing bosses as regular, only to go back into Super Mode in the next zone screams uncreative. I'd be ok with it for the first time next release... since its the first one, but the release after that should have something...

10. flamewing

flamewing

France
    So, hm, I had this idea: what do you think of something like this as the end-of-act pose for Super/Hyper Sonic in Team Super/Hyper?
    [​IMG]

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Pointlessly flashy... I love it.

12. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Sonic showing off his powers is within his character, but I don't like him screaming into the sky.

13. FlashingYoshi

FlashingYoshi

Same... are you going to make one for Knuckles?

EDIT: Found another damn glitch. In Green Hill 3, after the part at the bottom with 50 rings and a life monitor, jump between the spring and the spikes. Now jump right. I think that somehow the wall is crushing the character to death.

14. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    If that's what I think you're describing, that is a small side effect of the fix that flamewing applied to his hack to fix the bug that caused the S-tunnel death in Act 1. It's NOT a wall crushing Sonic, rather, it's a result of a DLE raising the level of the bottom boundary, and since the character's y-position is below that variable at this point, Sonic is automatically killed due to the way the code works with the new fix. It's a small bug, and one of a few that I prefered to avoid, by simply moving the Act 1 S-Tunnel DLE back a few pixels to occur earlier.

15. FlashingYoshi

FlashingYoshi

Thanks! lol you're post 1234.

16. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    No, 1000x fuck no!

Aside from having too much of an anime look, something about it just screams "shitty fan sprite" to me. Things are great the way they are sprite/pose wise.

17. flamewing

flamewing

France
    That fix was actually done by ColinC10 for S1and2, and came with the package. I will see how that bug works and fix both. After that, I think I have enough for another bugfix release (found a couple of nasty ones).

18. dsrb

dsrb

Actually, this.

19. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    That's it! I knew I had a problem with the sprite when flamewing posted it over at SSRG, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. That's what it was.

20. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I think a good end of act post for Super Sonic would be him in a casual lay down pose but floating in the air. I think one of the 3D games had that kind of pose but if it did, I can't think which at the moment, but it'd fit in well with the attitude he's designed to have, without looking too overpowering and anime.