don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water

I ran 3DSMax '11 using this same laptop model (Compaq Presario) in 2010, so I'm pretty sure you should be able to (though I'm not sure if Max's requirement have changed since that version). Just don't try to run it and programs like photoshop at the same time.

Also, one problem I've always had with SketchUp is compatibility (I don't have SketchUp 9 so this may no longer be true); you will most likely have to export the model to 3DSMAX to get it into Generations (though I'm not 100% sure on that, since I don't really know much about Generations Hacking).

Also, though it is possible to model a stage in Sketchup, certain more intricate things might turn out to be extremely frustrating to do. Terrain is NOT fun to work with in SketchUp, at all.

2. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member

60 FPS Video. (Go to file, and save it, Google Docs does some dumb auto embedding at 30 FPS)

3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Neeeaaat.

Caught a few changes in the layout, nice touches. Is the stage more or less finished?

EDIT: Went to the YouTube description and found more info. I've gotten so used to you putting in annotations and I viewed it from Google Doc's embed.

4. Well then, I suppose I'll try downloading it and giving it a shot. I haven't been able to get SketchUp to work very well, anyways. I simply wanted a rounded edge, and it was such a pain to try and do it. I finally got something that looked moderately round, and the texture I wanted to use wouldn't line up. I know that there's probably something really simple that I'm not getting to it, but there has to be an easier way to do this.

On another note, I really liked the video. Would have been interesting to see a comparison with the Unleashed renderer, but like it said, it's not stable enough for use. Real shame. I'm a bit curious, what's wrong with it right now?

Last thing, I was playing through Sonic Heroes with my little brother, and went through Egg Fleet. Now I want to see how tricky this would be to port. Also, the metal textures from Planet Wisp and Chemical Plant should help update the appearance, right?

-----
    EDIT: I was working around the house and thinking about this kind of stuff when something occurred to me. On the normal levels in Generations, if you go too quickly, the graphics stop appearing even though the terrain is still there. Everything goes invisible. I've never seen this happen on a custom-made level. Does it still happen? If not, why is that?

Also, whatever happened to Dario FF's idea on doing an optimized version of Green Hill Zone to see how much of a performance boost it gives? I was kind of curious how that would turn out, as well.

5. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    Look drop down gorgeous even on Generation's renderer. Might wanna update your download link though, seems your file is too popular. :v:

6. Falk

Falk

"Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later."

Too popular again, I see.

7. Dario FF

Dario FF

No other host I'm afraid, just wait it out; or if someone can mirror it even better. :v: The file is a bit above 300 MB.

It crashed, so I decided to leave it for later.

8. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    Looks amazing. I like how you used the whole "Trick Ring floating above a dash ramp" idea to emulate the "upper-path / lower-path" aspect of the Unleashed trick ramps. I was also surprised to see that NPC Human early on in the stage.

Also, here's a minor progress update for Super Sonic Generations V5:

Finally got those run+boost animations fixed. Including the "leaning left," "leaning right," and "moving across diagonal walls" variants.
    I also changed Super Shadow's textures, and made his fur not look so green in the Rival Battle.

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Sorry to step on your new video release, Joe.

Took me another video playthrough to notice, Dario:
    [​IMG]
    Nice hat.

10. Professor-J

Professor-J

Were the sound effects for this game ever ripped? Really want the checkpoint sound as my text tone :v:

11. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Not as far as I know, but most of the sound effects were taken directly from Unleashed, so try looking here for the checkpoint sound. Bare in mind that my research on this matter is merely a quick Googluation to try and help you out, so this being Retro, I imagine some clever fellow will be able to help you out with specifics.

If for some reason Sonic Team used a different checkpoint sound, you could always boot up Generations PC, turn the music level down in the options menu and record yourself passing a checkpoint.

I'm sorry if I can't be more helpful, but I'm currently staying at my girlfriend's, and her internet connection is so bad I can't even think of a simile.

12. Falk

Falk

Wouldn't be a clean recording. There's a metric shit ton of other random sounds, not the least of which being omnipresent footsteps.

The game's packaged files have been busted wide open for a while: I'm pretty sure you'd be able to find all the sound effects and dialogue/etc in there somewhere.

13. Professor-J

Professor-J

Had a rummage around there and it seems to be the only serie's staple sound thats missing ;_; Thanks anyway though.

Better get digging through the Generations files then lol...

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Ask Azu, he got me the english voice files so I'm sure finding the SFX would be cake for him.

15. Dario FF

Dario FF

Mirror up for the 60 FPS video.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sonic-generations-unleashed-project/downloads/windmill-isle-act-2-video-at-60-fps

Also:
    [​IMG]

16. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    It's like SA2 all over again :v:

17. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

At first I thought someone got the Unleashed HUD in Generations and I got a bit excited... then I realized Green Hill was ported back into Unleashed. That's definitely impressive as some kind of proof of concept, but given Generations's responsive controls, A-button homing attack, and tighter drift radius, I can't help but imagine the stages would only play worse in Unleashed. Still, good job!

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Cool! so will that be optional? also, does the ring energy bar work just as it did in Unleashed?

19. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I think it's the Generations level backported into Unleashed.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wait, that's GHZ in Unleashed? I'd say that's even more impressive then a HUD port...

But wait how would that be possible? Either the HUD from unleashed was ported and the Unleashed renderer is working, or this was ported to Unleashed. Because the shading is drastically different.