don't click here

Obscure Sonic 1 Font

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Squints, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    NOT VERY IMPORTANT, BUT WORTH NOTING
    In Sonic 1, there is an unused sprite for Spring Yard Zone that is a neon sign that says, "Let's Go!" The sign uses an odd font, but I found it while scrolling through the fonts available in Windows. If the fon't isn't the same, it's very close. The name (in Windows) is "Harlow Solic Italic". Below, I've included a picture of the font for comparison, along with its name in a considerably more readable font.

Attached Files:

2. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    Heh, it's just coincidence, but cool nonetheless.

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    pretty damn close

4. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Maybe Sega used it to make that sign.

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    [​IMG]
    Hmmmm, I don't actually have that font on my PC, so I can't really test.

6. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    It wouldn't surprise me if Sega did indeed use an existing font - I'm pretty sure I've seen a font damn near identical to the standard "Sonic" font (like on the Reply buttons here) on a Meineke muffler commercial. Next time I run a show with one in it, I'll put the tape aside to check more closely.

7. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    The Sonic font could be a variant of Syntax Ultrablack.

8. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
  9. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I know that the Sonic The Comic font featured on the STC website is just a Star Trek one.

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Signs for Morgantown's Wharf District (now "Waterfront Place") have signs that resemble the Andes font very closely (title card font for S3K).
    The font for the Sonic 2 Special Stage is Impact.

11. <Trekkie mode>That font's been around far longer than Star Trek; the latter just made it famous. I can't remember *what* it's called though.</Trekkie mode>

12. Vangar

Vangar

In GlenInnes (NSW Australia) I saw a shop that had Gaslight font (Sonic 1) used as their logo. It wasn't a variation, it was it.

13. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    I beleive the Sonic font is a custom fontset, Sega created a mascot that basically sold the company, they wouldnt have wanted to be paying out royalties (considering how big sonic is) for other peoples work, it goes as far as fonts beleive me. (im currently studying Type as Image in one of my uni modules)

14. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    It's very well possible that it's the Harlow family, considering it was made in '79. However, Hive, I would advise against hosting the font considering that it IS Linotype, and they can be quite pissy about that sort of thing.

However, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the original "Sonic" was at least partially handdrawn. The closest thing I've ever found structurewise to it has been Linotype Bigband, and the typeset we see on Sonic 1 and 2's title has some striking disimilarities to even the other letter - the S in particular, as well as making the angle of the C's cut match that of the O's, because that's rarely done when trying to bring attention to a particular letter, as I believe O is trying to.

< / font nerd >

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    There's a shop in my city that uses the Sonic 2 title card font for its logo. Also, the Sonic 3 title card font is used in The Adventures of Batman and Robin.

16. Korou Tenshi

Korou Tenshi

UK
    Funnily enough, there's a shop in the town centre near me that uses the Sonic 2 title card font aswell!

17. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Actually, Harlow doesn't look that close to me. For comparison:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    The same goes for the Santa Monica Pier. Last time I was there, I stared at the lettering on the Ferris Wheel for quite some time, thinking it looked exactly like the Andes font.

19. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Letraset? Plaza? is the real name of the Sonic 3 title card font.

20. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    That's odd. I remember the two fonts looking more similar. Despite that, I can explain why the two fonts look different: Sonic Team was going for realism.
    Hopefully, I would be right in assuming that the sign sprite in question is a neon sign. All of the letters on neon signs are connected, but the letters of the Harlow font aren't connected by default. Connecting them would require editing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.