don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=razLdwI4hpM&feature=plcp
    It's some weird unnecessary glitch that makes you go faster for no reason.

2. BulimicCannibal

BulimicCannibal

It's not really unnecessary or for no reason when so many people are interested in speed running.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah this will be perfect, now I can speedrun again. Thank goodness.

4. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    In my opinion, speed running shouldn't be done with convoluted glitches. That's all.

5. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Well, if you speedrun, it IS necessary. I don't want to say it's Sonic Team's fault for leaving it in, but people abuse it so much...

6. BulimicCannibal

BulimicCannibal

I've pretty much given up on trying to do the super speed glitch now because it's apparently much harder to accomplish on the PC version; does anyone have any
    clue how to do the jump at 21 seconds in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2slCU4pzGGY&feature=player_embedded

I know to slide when coming out of scripted events/going over boosters to keep speed but the second I jump I just lose tons of speed.

7. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Yeah, for whatever reason, things like the Blast Effect are restricted in use on the PC version. Why? I don't know, and it makes even less sense considering you can hack to edit your time, anyway. That hasn't happened yet on the 360 version (Not sure about PS3), as far I know. Sonic 4 and Adventure were figured out a long time ago, on all consoles.

8. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    If ten people do a speed run, and five use glitches to get a better time, I won't count their time. It's that simple.

9. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    So, you won't count people like MilesTailsProwerFox, KAKIPI1000, Paraxade0 and romanemul1? What if that same person does a speedrun in, say, S4Ep.II, and speeds through that? Because Parax, specifically, does much more than Generations and Unleashed.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Like I said in another thread, I'm not impressed by speedruns that abuse glitches. Master the game via it's own rules, not by finding loopholes in those rules.

11. BulimicCannibal

BulimicCannibal

It's not so much a glitch as it is a physics exploit some of the most competitive games out there are so competitive because of exploits in their physics engine, Quake
    and Counter Strike spring to mind. You're only hurting yourself really by purposely limiting yourself.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I don't find it fun exploiting a game's rules to win or get a better time. I'm capable of doing so more often than not, but I don't like to. I feel like I'm cheating. It's like playing a board game that doesn't explicitly say in its rules that you can't roll the dice again if it falls off the table, so when it does (and you saw what it landed on), you roll it again anyway because it landed on a shitty number.

13. Tyty

Tyty

KNUXEDO KAMEN Member
    ↑ & ↓ & ↻
    Except most people will agree that you roll the dice again anyways simply so that everyone playing is rolling the dice on the same surface. It evens the playing field (quite literally)

I don't personally like these speed glitches much, since they don't seem very fun or take much skill to perform, but then you look at SA2 final rush runs where people run all over the walls of the ark and the like and that seems not only crazy fun, but is more like taking a shortcut simply using sonic's speed to run on walls. Or the Generations/Unleashed 3D in 2D glitches and glitches that make the game have problems loading things. Those ones I find actually fun to watch people do, or experience myself, because it's fun to go outside the boundaries.

Saying "Don't use glitches" is like telling Metroid players not to sequence break. It's pointless, because people find it fun and are going to keep doing it anyways, even though the devs didn't intend it.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    It's funny that you should say that people would roll the dice again anyways because it evens the playing field. What I described is a possible way to exploit a game's rules. Exploits, in general, serve to uneven the playing field. Non-use of them serves to even it.

I didn't say "don't use glitches". Glitches can be crazy good fun, and I use them all the time to get around stupid game design flaws or goals that I don't have time for. I just don't find the use of them impressive when it comes to speedruns, or approve of them in a competitive setting.

Sequence breaking in Metroid is a bad example for your point, though. The game gives you the tools to do so. You don't ever have to exploit the game's mechanics to sequence break.

15. Hukos

Hukos

So would you say that the entire Metroid speedrunning scene is illegitimate? The existence of the mockball technique is derived from a glitch, and that's pretty big in Super Metroid speedruns (Like skipping the Spore Spawn boss fight entirely by getting super missiles early because of the mockball). If it weren't for these techniques, sequence breaking wouldn't be possible at all.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Are you sure about that? I've never even heard of this "mockball" technique, let alone used it, and I was sequence breaking before I even knew there was a sequence you were supposed to be following.

17. Hukos

Hukos

Well then, what do you consider to be a sequence break? Because it seems like we have two entirely different definitions of the term. I think of a Sequence break as getting through an area you clearly aren't meant to go through at that point in the game through glitch abuse or other methods.

The Mockball technique is a glitch that essentially allows you to roll in Morphball form while still maintaining top running speed, which let's you past certain barriers that you normally would need the Speed Booster to get through. Like I said, this can allow you to get the Super Missile expansion not far from the Spore Spawn, then destroy the Super Missile barrier that normally prevents you from moving on, allowing you to skip him entirely.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    From Metroid.wikia.com

I have done all of this, because I got stuck and thought I was supposed to. Sequence breaking is very possible in Super Metroid without exploiting glitches.

EDIT: Let me just add, however, that I don't care if people abuse glitches for speedrunning purposes. I just don't find it impressive in terms of a speedrun. The glitches themselves are impressive, sometimes. But when someone uses one and turns around and says LOOK AT MAH AWESOME TIME!!! all I can think is "meh".

19. Hukos

Hukos

:v:

That's all well and good, but in a speedrun, I want maximum efficiency. If there's a trick to make the run even faster, then utilize it I say. A glitch-less speedrun is boring to me, since I know it could be even faster with these so called exploits. Maybe it's because I'm a massive efficiency whore, but it's more interesting to see how these glitches affect how people do speedruns and how much more time is saved because of them.

20. Tanks

Tanks

If its in the game, requires some skill to abuse, and doesn't make it so you get 0.001 for your record time... I'd say its a legitimate record run, but I'm not opposed to anyone differentiating between a glitch run and a vanilla run.