don't click here

Generations PC Unleashed Porting - Dragon Road Demo

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Only reason you see black bars is because you're viewing the player inside Retro, which is indeed a box. Just double click and watch it on Youtube to see it properly.

2. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I REALLY don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I just did a bunch of testing (using Time Break for precision purposes), and could only recreate the homing-attack bug in Dragon Road. I tried as many homing-attacks on the chainsaw-sword-thing-wielding Egg Pawns from Rooftop Run Act 2 as possible, from several different heights/angles, and could not get the robot to hit me unfairly. However, doing the same thing in Dragon Road, I was able to get hit as discussed previously. Are you SURE there aren't ANY mistakes that you or a member of the team could have made that could be the source of this bug? At the very least, can someone ELSE confirm or deny the existence of this bug on Rooftop Run, with proof if possible?

Again, I deeply apologize for harping on this, but the bug has a noticeable effect when attempting speedruns.

3. Yarharhar

Yarharhar

Oldbie
    The bug could possibly be framerate related - Either rooftop run or dragon road run better. Have you tried recreating the bug at a lower graphics setting where things might be a bit more equal?

4. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

I have to ask why the game freezes though? Or is it currently a secret? :ssh:

5. Dario FF

Dario FF

It's hard to debug that thing because I can't even reproduce it now in both stages. AFAIK I had the thing happen frequently while I was recording, so framerate might be related and help to cause the bug.

Only thing I can think of is increasing these "delay" times, even if they're the same as the Egg fighters in Rooftop Run, and see if it makes the issue less common.

The game freezed?

6. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Yep. I collected all the Red Rings and the game crashed on me as soon as I entered the hub.

EDIT: I should also mention that the Stage Image is completely messed up too.

7. Dario FF

Dario FF

I'll assume the game didn't like the amount of stuff I removed. So much hardcoded stuff. I had to keep Cream there so it didn't go bonkers. :(

As for the Stage Image thing, what aspect ratio are you using? Perhaps the image needs to be saved in a different format.

8. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Seems like it was a one-time freeze which sometimes happens whenever I'm playing a mod.

I believe I use 4:3 for my resolution.

9. shawnsmitherson

shawnsmitherson

RocketDogShawn Member
    Alright, hopefully someone can help me out here.

So I think I've done everything right. Sonic GMI seems to have done what it was supposed to. I boot up the game, and the hub world has Dragon Road. I enter the level, the loading screen even says Dragon Road. However, when the level starts, it's Speed Highway with Dragon Road's music. I'm not really sure how to fix this, any ideas?

10. Dario FF

Dario FF

What other mods do you have active? It's the only explanation.

11. Paraxade

Paraxade

Either that or you're missing the "bb" folder.

12. shawnsmitherson

shawnsmitherson

RocketDogShawn Member

Ah! That would explain it. For some reason that folder didn't move over, just bb2 and bb3.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

13. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Alright, so... I'm at another PC to try out on a better hardware then the first time I played.

The first thing I noticed was that the bombs, right at the start pathways at left from the ramp in the middle, were missing. I'm assuming that they were removed, since if I go through that direction I don't get hit also. Going foward a bit and my game crashed at the rail to take you to the location of the first red ring (I believe that everyone got at least this one, so no need to hide the location). I found it weird and tryied again... Crash, in the same location. So I decided to go on the lower path and surprisingly the game crashed at almost the same location. Somewhere around the second badnik.

I tried waiting a bit to see if it's a "time crash", like, you know, after a few seconds the game will crash. But that wasn't the point. Waited almost a minute and started running. Crashed in the same location.

So I'm assuming that either there is something wrong in this section, like I'm hitting an invisible "switch" that's suposed to do something like call up another camera or something or there is an object loading up badly. In either case, I'll try to reinstall Sonic Generations and the mod as well. Oh well, just though I should let you know.

Oh yeah, classic Sonic's stage works just fine.

Edit: Tryied reinstalling the mod first, as well with the SonicGMI and for some reason it worked just fine. Also the dashpads were missing on my previous runs, so aparently this glitch that occured with sorta "deleted" all these assets. Anyways, no harm no foul, I guess. I'll investigate it closely later on.

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

Having modified CPKs that aren't the original can cause these issues, along with other mods that may override stuff they shouldn't. Let's call it leftovers from old standards. :v: Hopefully people will stop distributing modified CPKs now.

15. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Figured out the issue. What happened is that I had an mod on (Classic Sonic Adventures) that I didn't knew actually since there has been a long time since I played SG in this PC. So the game was treating the stage as it was a classic Sonic stage, even if Modern Sonic was on it. At SonicGMI, I turned on the Classic Sonic Adventures and worked just fine.

16. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    Loving this mod... Excellent work!

I have two questions.

1. What can we expect from the final release as a whole? (if there's a plan so far...)

Example:

- Sonic Unleashed-themed White-Space hub world
    - Windmill Isle (Act 2)
    - Savannah Citadel
    - Rooftop Run
    - Dragon road
    - Cool Edge
    - Arid Sands
    - Skyscraper Scamper (Empire City)
    - Jungle Joyride.

2. Will there be any plans to replace (character swap) any characters from Unleashed into Generations?

Example:

- Omochao with Chip (Level Card & tutorials checkpoints)
    - Sonic Unleashed townsfolk (Ex: Prof. Pickle) in front of stage gates instead of Sonic's friends (except of course Tails & Amy.)

17. Dario FF

Dario FF

You already answered your questions except for Chip. :) That's pretty much the milestone for a first release. Whether we'll keep working on additional challenges/night stages is lower priority. I know people love more and more content, but I want to keep things at a goal that seems it can be done in a decent amount of time.

18. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US

Just making sure for confirmation. :)
    Thank you for answering.

19. What, no Chip? Damn, I wanted some chocolate.

Mod runs fine on my system, sometimes better than the actual game. Haven't noticed any bugs except the occasional non replicable camera bug, and some slight collision issues in the hub world and night/Classic stage.

20. shawnsmitherson

shawnsmitherson

RocketDogShawn Member
    I forgot to come back and say this, but excellent work!

This mod is coming along very nicely and I like what you're doing with it. Dragon Road plays nicely and feels great in Generations, and the White World area for it looks great as well. I can't wait to see what else you guys are doing with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.