don't click here

What is your non-Sonic Mega Drive top 10?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by MooMoo, Jul 8, 2012.

1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

That's good, because I just bought a brand new copy for £17. Adding this little baby to my collection. Michael Jackson is, or was awesome enough without a game.

Who would actually rank their top Mega Drive game as Sonic? That would be pretty interesting to find out. For me, the epitome of The Mega Drive is Sonic The Hedgehog. I don't think I would have been half as interested in it without the series, and I think SEGA would have potentially flopped too, especially with Nintendo's offerings competing with SEGA's, which were usually more girtty and arcade style compared to what the SNES offered. Nintendo also had Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong and Final Fantasy. It was kinda like the current day system, where Nintendo had all the colourful happy games and the Playstation sticks more to the mature stuff.

2. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    In order of likeness:

1. Pulseman <----------------- most underrated awesome Mega Drive game ever
    2. Landstalker
    3. Shining Force II
    4. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    5. Virtua Racing
    6. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
    7. Top Gear 2
    8. Toe Jam & Earl
    9. Quackshot
    10. California Games

If not counting any of the Sonic games, there are only about 15 Mega Drive games I actually care about...

I find Shining Force II to be way superior, in my opinion. And Shining Force CD is pretty excellent in comparison to SF1 as well.

I thoroughly agree with what you said. Additionally, the fighting engine used in vanilla Mortal Kombat 3 is more solid and less buggy than the ones introduced in Ultimate and Trilogy (similarly, this is why I prefer Sonic 2's physics over S3K's). Also, the Mega Drive port of MK3 is more accurate and more faithful to the actual arcade version than Ultimate will ever be (I believe that's why the MK3 fighting engine feels more solid; because of the level of accurateness).

Still, on the Mega Drive, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 had more of an impact in my life than MK3, even though MK3 was the first fighting game I ever played: Brutalities, aerial combos, new combos. I still remember when I saw the TV commercial for Ultimate for the first time... when the game was released, and how the time @ school simply didn't pass when I was waiting to get the hell out of there and go play UMK3 because my brother got the game that day. The first time I've even been excited for a game, ever.

3. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Where the fuck is Rocket Knight Adventures in the OP

4. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
    In no particular order

Streets of Rage
    Road Rash 2
    Zombies Ate My Neighbours
    Super Hang-On
    Castlevania:Bloodlines/New Generation
    Revenge of Shinobi (could NEVER finish the last fight though -_-)
    Alien Storm
    E-Swat
    Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf
    Golden Axe

5. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    How did we get this far without mentioning Thunder Force?

6. winterhell

winterhell

Not necessarily in this order and I'm probably forgetting some title:
    • Adventures of Batman & Robin
    • Golden Axe III
    • World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
    • Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow
    • ToeJam and Earl 1
    • Streets of Rage 3
    • Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament
    • Xenon 2:Megablast
    • Cool Spot
    • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

7. Dogstar

Dogstar

Peace Dog Member
    10) M.U.S.H.A
    9) Puyo puyu tsuu
    8)Thunderforce 4
    7)Risky Woods
    6)SoR 2
    5)Castlevania Bloodlines
    4)Twinkle Tale
    3)Elemental Master
    2)Alisia Dragoon
    1)Gunstar heroes

Particularly Alisia dragoon, MUSHA, Elemental Master and Castlevania have the best music I have ever heard.

8. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    I've never played it. :P As I said though, the reason I made this thread was to discover all those great games I haven't yet played.

Soon.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    This is my kinda topic. Fuck making a list, I'm going to talk games; in no particular order, since I don't like to play favourites with these.

ROAD RASH
    Ask the Internet, a friend, or a random hobo and they'll tell you that Road Rash II is the best one in the series. I respectfully disagree. Thought number two is a lot of fun, the first Road Rash is The One for me. The club weapon isn't a booby-prize like in the sequel (but, you know, the chain's not there. Try not to cry), and one-hit knockoffs are possible with the right timing and a good backhand instead of plugging away. But here's the thing -- the game isn't easy. Oh no, far from it. Road Rash feels dangerous, especially zooming around level 5 with the Diablo 1000 -- you're going to have to take corners with strategy here; too fast and you're dirt, too slow and you're dust. Also, DAT PACIFIC COAST MUSIC. <3

DRAGON'S FURY
    It's pinball. Except it's more like a shoot 'em up. Knocking a silver sphere into a smörgåsbord of demons who explode on contact feels great, and the fast-paced-gothic-flavoured soundtrack really keeps the pace going. Like pinball, this is pure score-attack skill fodder (and if you think pinball is just luck, kindly go forth and fornicate with thyself) but like a shmup, it has bosses and tricks up the wazoo. It's also known as Devil Crash, but the West had the "Satanism" censored out of this. They had to tame this somehow, it's just too fucking cool.

ROCKET KNIGHT ADVENTURES
    It's been mentioned, and I don't care. Play this motherfucker, it's a cartoon. Seriously, the premise is right out of some awesome kid's comic -- the kingdom is being taken over by pigs and it's up to YOU, a possum in fucking rocket armour, to take up the sword and kick ass. It's got everything: pigs, collectibles, pigs, awesome music, pigs, amazing graphics, pigs, rocket-pack action, pigs, an 'evil version' of the main character AND PIGS. It's linear, and fairly short, but you will not care if everything's right with your brain - this is a ride of pure cartoon fun.

THUNDER FORCE III
    I like my shooters. And whilst some uncultured folk will recommend the cluttered and noisy (though still fairly cool) successor over this one, to me III did everything right. Design that forces the player to use the space and excellent weapon set moves the pace along, and the graphics keep things clear. Soundtrack is memorable as hell, too. Although 'it did everything right' is a little exaggeration on my part; you will have to access the option menu to jack the difficulty up, but you'll thank me for mentioning that.

TOEJAM AND EARL
    Best RPG on the Megadrive. Yes, RPG -- in the sense that the Diablo series is an RPG, and it's a Roguelike; as is Earljam & Toe. I don't even know where to start on this one, it's so fucking cool. Music will make you wanna get down and chill. Graphics look like they're from some crazy '90s indie comic or cartoon that was drawn by someone on ALL of the drugs, but in the context of this game it fits perfectly; it's crazy. Steal presents by stealthing up to Santa, escape from a maniacal dentist, attempt to order gifts from a mailbox monster or get squashed by a ghostly phantom ice-cream truck. Also, play with a friend - it's a great evening.

REVENGE OF SHINOBI
    When folk argue that 'videogames are art', it's always the same trite opining that Shadow of the Colossus or Metal Gear Solid 4 or Ocarina of Final FantaZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz. Fuck that, here's my nomination. And why? It's pop-art in its' purest form; a mashup of mixed perceptions on all sides. You're from the West and think of the East? Pagodas, samurai warlords and magic ninjas, motherfucker. From the East and think of the West? Everything is Spider-man, Batman, Hulks and Terminator robot. Great, now mash it up with some challenging (but fair) play mechanics and here it is, a work of art. Also, soundtrack is amazing. I seem to always love a good soundtrack.

RISTAR
    Tres predictable, but it's beautiful. Seriously. This game makes me happy when no other game will; it's a journey into the most amazing pixels ever seen on the Megadrive with a charming set of characters (friendly and otherwise) and well-crafted levels. It's also as 'Sonicky' a game you'll get without being Sonic itself (Socket? Can fuck right off) but you've all played it. Right? Goes without saying, I love the soundtrack. Catchy as hell.

ECCO: THE TIDES OF TIME
    Before I start, I love the soundtrack. Drawing obvious inspirations from the works of Mike Oldfield, this will set the mood perfectly because you're going to need to be relaxed to take this in. Also, are you seated? Good. Aliens invaded in the first Ecco game, sucking up all the life from the oceans and a dolphin with a constellation marked on his face saved the Earth. In this, the second game, you are taken to a future where dolphins can fly using the power of their awesome minds and then you are taken to a not-so-bright future ruled by giant testicles and H.R. Giger knockoff aliens. And you can be a shark. A MOTHERFUCKING SHARK. Who needs to be a seagull or jellyfish or alien (which you can be) when you can be a SHARK? So long, and thanks for all the fish. This is a great game indeed.

STARFLIGHT
    You've not heard of this I bet</hipstermode>. This is such an old-school RPG of the oldest school there can be an old school of. You'll be traversing into space, most of which is unknown territory. All of which. In the real-world, bring a notebook because you're going to need it. The first hour or so of this game is mind-numbingly boring as you mine resources from planets to sell so you can afford to kit out your starship enough to kick some ass should you need it -- and there's the likelihood you will. This game is so non-linear it's unreal. Clues are littered around and drip-fed to you, but it's really up to you to unveil the story and what happens. You'll more than likely wage war on an entire race doing so, but it's worth it to save the Universe, right? Soundtrack sucks though.

KID CHAMELEON
    Ever really wanted to love a game for what it was underneath a very ugly and completely unappealing exterior? Kid Chameleon is that game, and I do. Dog ugly outside, on the inside it's a fiendish and clever-designed Mario clone with its own schtick -- from the halfway point, that is. Play it enough and this game will suck you in, and completion won't be enough - you'll want to see all the levels you missed, and exploring the little nooks-and-crannies to get that alternate level exit can be habit-forming. Certain levels will absolutely molest you, too - ones that are possible to miss completely on a playthrough but seriously where is the fun in that?

10. Instead of echoing what everyone else is listing, I'm going to point out Paperboy. I'll be honest though, over the years I've come to realize that Paperboy kind of sucks save for the Genesis and arcade versions. To be honest, I'm unsure why I feel that way, maybe it's because this is the one I grew up with or perhaps it's that funky awesome bass line, whatever it is, I love this game.

Also, shameless plug, King Salmon's way more fun than it should be, you might want to check it out for something different.

11. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    In no particular order :

Mega Turrican
    Ristar
    Road Rash 3
    Thunder Force IV
    Battle Mania Daiginjou
    Socket
    Shinobi III
    Streets of Rage 2
    Soleil
    Gunstar Heroes

12. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    1. Toejam & Earl: Panic On Funkontron
    Because this game is very funny and requires a huge load of patience to play. And I love challenges!

2. Out Run
    Because of its epic soundtrack and because of their different funny ends.

3. Kid Chameleon
    Because of this game is a lot of fun and challeging.

4. MortalKombat II
    Because of their fabulous graphics and surprises every enemy we beat. It's incredible how this game gets hard after its 7th opponent, it doesn't matter who is.

5. Pit-Fighter
    Because I never stop laughing when I play this. Their music is a lot of fun and the fact that we can exaggeratedly throw enemies into the ground using the most impossible methods to the real life is heavily impressive.

6. Zool
    Because this game is really fast. Zool is really slippery and this game's soundtrack makes me dance every level. This game has awesome graphics too. I fucking love this game.

7. Ristar
    Because this game is fucking epic and this is all.

8. Streets Of Rage 2
    Because Max is awesome and I love to play with him. It to don't say about the very epic soundtrack of this game. (What the hell is Vehelits?)

9. Tiny Toon Adventures, Buster's Hidden Treasure
    I haven't much to say. I just love to play this game.

10. Flash back
    Because I didn't figured this game completely yet. This is one of my favourite non-Sonic games ever.

13. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    5 stars. This needs to be shouted from the rooftops.

14. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    1 - Flashback
    An incredibly ambitious action adventure game that helped set the foundations next-generation games like Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil. A focus on storytelling to benefit the experience of playing an action game was quite bold at this time. Adding that to a Prince of Persia style puzzle platformer made this totally unique and brilliant.
    2 - Gunstar Heroes
    My favourite Treasure game. They make stunning use of the hardware here to shift highly complex and quick moving enemies without ever coming to the detriment of the gameplay or graphical style. There's some great ideas in here that make this a fresh and exciting game.
    3 - Quack Shot Starring Donald Duck
    A great big globe trotting adventure. Great music, graphics, level designs and puzzles pull this together to become a brilliant package. I'm incredibly fond of this unsuspecting little Disney game.
    4 - Streets of Rage II
    I might just be including this for nostalgia's sake, as I find scrolling beat 'em ups pretty repetitive now, but that doesn't stop this from being looking and sounding great.
    5 - Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure
    Underrated. This game attempted a lot of what Super Mario World offered on the SNES. Some of the people who worked on this helped develop some of my favourite games from the era, and their influence shines through.
    6 - Super Street Fighter II
    Definitely the best fighting game on the Mega Drive. Fluid, complex and deep. It only appears this low on the list, as there's much better versions of this game available on other formats.
    7 - Monster World IV
    Very similar to Quack Shot and Buster's Hidden Treasure, and possibly better than those games, but I only played this for the first time a few months ago, so I have trouble accepting that. Great, big adventure game with clever dungeons and puzzles. Probably the best attempt at a Zelda-style platformer ever made.
    8 - Micro Machines Turbo Tournament '96
    A huge cart. Codemasters went mad trying different things here, 2 additional controller ports in the cartridge, an pad-sharing based 8-player mode, and a great track editor. All this applied on top of the classic Micro Machines gameplay meant that this beat Rock 'n' Roll Racing to become my favourite racing game on the Mega Drive.
    9 - Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
    I love action games with very deliberate controls. Games where you can plan out your actions and predict the effect they'll have. This is one of the best 2D ones. A great big platformer with a lot of variety and very satisfying combat.
    10 - The New Zealand Story
    The New Zealand Story attempts to do loads of stuff, and makes it all seem as simple as a classic Taito arcade game. Really charming, surprising and fun. The Mega Drive version contains unique levels, so it's worth playing even if you know the arcade game like the back of your hand.

15. dust hill resident

dust hill resident

Oldbie
    London
    Making music
    I can't really list ten because I don't have many megadrive games. But apart from the Sonic games, my favorites are Decap Attack and Block Out. I also enjoyed the first two Streets of Rage games when I was younger, but I don't seem to be as interested in them now.

16. BleuStar

BleuStar

New Castle, Delaware
    Sonic The Hedgehog (RevBS) [!]
    To be honest, the main Sonic titles would easily top this list, but just for the occasion:

1. Streets of Rage 2
    With this game, you can't go wrong! The first game is smaller, the third game is either impossible or imported
    but the second game, well you can't go wrong! With Axel's game breaking grand upper, a killer soundtrack made
    by the legendary Yuzo Koshiro and awesome gameplay and graphics, you'll have a grand experience! I had to buy
    this game on eBay when buying Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 3D Blast!

2. Gunstar Heroes
    Please use Chaser and Lightening with Red and you'll know how wonderful the game is!

3. Ristar
    Developed by Sonic Team.

4. Puyo Puyo Tsu
    * Ability to choose most opponents
    *No internet memes
    *An already available sound test
    *Offsetting
    *More voices than "Fire" Yatta-na" and "Puyo Puyo"
    *More colors!

5. Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
    I grew up with this and you know how good the Street Fighter series is!
    The Genesis version of The New Challengers however....

6. Vectorman
    Pre-rendered graphics!

7. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
    Bigger, better and easier than it's predecessor!

8. Madou Monogatari I
    Hands down, one of the most if not the most underrated Mega Drive title released.
    Taking place before the Puyo Puyo series, this dark yet humorous game was pretty and addictive
    by using dugeon RPG elements instead of traditional ones, which makes one wonder why the other two MM
    games weren't rereleased on here! Being the last Mega Drive title in Japan The only problem with this game is that it's not translated!

(Is Madou Monogatari own by Sega now since Puyo Puyo is?)

9. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
    A pretty beat'em up title, featuring Sailor Moon in her only Mega Drive appearance!

10. M.U.S.H.A
    A rather addictive Shmup. Made by the guys who made two titles on this list.
    Take a guess.

17. egel

egel

Cheeseland
    May start a small page about my MD collection.
    Streets of Rage II
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Golden Axe
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Thunderforce II
    Mortal Kombat II
    Street fighter II
    Ristar
    Zero Wing
    Aladdin

In no particular order.

18. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    1: Streets Of Rage 1 and 2
    2: Revenge Of Shinobi
    3: Dynamite Headdy
    4: Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure
    5: Flashback
    6: Castle Of Illusion
    7: Bubsy 1
    8: Earthworm Jim
    9: Mr. Nutz
    10: Road Rash

And yes, the Sonics would normally top my list.

19. Streets of Rage 1
    World of Illusion
    Columns
    FIFA '95
    Mega Bomberman
    Herzog Zwei
    Red Zone

yeaaah I'm gonna stop here because I don't know what to choose =P

20. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    My non-Sonic Mega Drive Top 10 in no particular order: