don't click here

All those unused tunes, what were they going to be used for?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MooMoo, Jul 6, 2012.

1. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    I just downloaded the Sonic Chaos soundtrack and found about 3 unused tunes on there. We all know unused tunes aren't uncommon, as with Hidden Palace in Sonic 2, but how many other games have them? Were there ever levels or uses for them that anyone knows of?

Heres the link for the Sonic Chaos unknowns: http://www.captainwilliams.co.uk/sonic/sonic8bit/sonicchaos/soundtrack.php

Id love to know whats out there, as some of them tend to be quite good.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Unknown 2 is an early version of what would go on to forever be known as Sunset Park Zone Act 3 in Sonic Triple Trouble. This one plays a few pitches higher.

Unknown 3 is actually another version Gigalopolis' Game Gear music that's probably a hangover.

Don't know about Unknown 1, but it's a familiar jingle.

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Unknown 1 could well have been a jingle for getting an extra life or something; to my knowledge the game doesn't otherwise have one.

I have no idea what to make of Unknown 3 though. Sounds exactly like Gigapolis's music anyway. Am I missing something?

4. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    There was this in STF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3b8x_yAqqI
    Only thing I can think of, is it being an unused character theme, (light and bouncy, Honey perhapse? lol) or mabye some leftover part of a story mode they never finished

5. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    Misread that as "light and bouncy, Honey prolapse". :psyduck:

Good find though, I think there was one in Sonic 3D IIRC, I'll have a look...
    Edit: NOPE.avi, just a load of Sonic 3 (?) stuff. :P

6. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
  7. Peace Of Mind

Peace Of Mind

Washington, DC
    Lots of stuff in FL Studio
    I can see "Unknown 3" from Sonic Chaos being a scrapped track for Mecha Green Hill Zone.

8. E102

E102

"γ" Member
    Though this track is not technically unused, I might as well show off this lesser known jingle.

This track comes from the less prominent Master System version of Sonic 2 (8-bit) and can be heard by opening a sole monitor found inside a wall in Aqua Lake Zone Act 2. I'm sure you can imagine how this track went under the radar for so long.

First off I'll provide the other theme from that game. Like the Special Stage music in the game's final version that this theme evolved into it was completely handled by Senoue. (The beta version also has a little Slot Machine Bonus Stage in it as well)

As for the unused boss theme (composed by Senoue and arranged by Setsumaru, again like the release version), there are two different versions of the beta boss theme: 819 and 825. Thanks to BrawlBRSTMs I was made personally aware of that fact. The difference is a timpani that anyone who played either S3 or S&K will recognize.

This is notable because Jun's take on the 1-Up and Boss theme for Sonic 4 lack it, giving the Boss theme more in common with the 819 beta than the later 825. This also makes it all the more implied that not only is the timpani likened to Masaru Setsumaru (confirmed for S&K 1-Up arrangement and other arrangements of Jun's MD-era tracks, but that Jun composed the original S3 1-Up jingle; its reuse being under the same conditions as Act Clear and Game Over and not a coincidence.

As a bonus it also pegs Setsumaru to arrangement for both the S3 1-Up and S3 All Clear jingles, as he is already known to have handled this role for 1 (S&K) and 2 (S&K and 3D) themes of the respective types.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The thing that gets me about the WIP special stage tune is that even then it was quoting from a Fantasy Zone BGM.

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
  11. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

For anyone interested, this is the track, and yeah, it was an obvious intentional reference from what I can gather :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4aZMKTOFHY

This is an interesting topic. I hadn't heard that speed up music in Sonic 2 8-Bit, but it's so hidden who woulda?

12. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Let me just cut you off right there. The Boss 1 you linked to there isn't Senoue's. It's Maeda's. It's credited to him within the game's coding and can be confirmed by Sound Test value.

You'll find THIS one fits Senoue's style more. Sounds like it also belongs in Sonic 4 too.

(Yes, it's quite confusing that the Even Boss Stage theme is labeled Boss 1 and the Odd Boss Stage theme is Boss 2)

13. I was always confused as to who did what boss theme. (Since Jun uses an opening of the song said to be Maeda's, and Boss 2 comes before Boss 1 in the sound test.) But I guess now it's clear to me, haa.

14. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    What's the deal with some songs being completely different between the GG and SMS versions, anyway? There's also the boss music in Sonic 2, and maybe others (I haven't played any of the 8-bit Sonics in years so I dunno.)

15. E102

E102

"γ" Member
    Sorry, must've missed the memo and unconsciously let the sound test ordering overwrite my name scheme this entire time even though I now see that the original hack post had them correctly distinguished all along :argh:; I haven't played it in so many years. This is just another reason why my bar is neither magenta nor purple. Sound Test 12 in the final replaced Sound Test 12 in the beta. Got it. Updating Sega Retro with the correct info now.

Yeah, now that I see this I can definitely tell where S4's (newly composed) boss music comes from.

16. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    The explanation comes from the SMS having a mono audio output, while the GG have a stereo audio output. When the SMS games were ported to the GG, they ended up rearranging the songs, with stereo support this time. Because of this, some songs ended up sounding different from their SMS counterparts (Turquoise Hill and Aqua Planet, for example), while other songs were completely substituted by other songs made from scratch (Gigalopolis is one of them).

Sonic Blast is a different case, however. When Tectoy ported Sonic Blast for the Master System, it was the other way around, though they kept the songs exactly like the original, albeit the lack of stereo panning.

I grew up with the Sega Master System version of the 8-bit games, so I personally think that all of the Game Gear music rearrangements sucks.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Whereas I would say the exact opposite. =P As someone whose only portable for years was the Game Gear and whose console was the MD, the Master System versions of the Chaos tracks especially just sound wrong.

18. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

All I hear is Twinkle Snow. Weird.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    To clarify I meant that the bass riff right before the WIP SS track is very strongly taken from the first level music from the first Fantasy Zone, which goes by the name Opa Opa in most works.

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I'd make a topic just for this but.. it's not worth it. So here it goes (as it has an unused song or two), also, no sfx on this one (dowload link on video description):