don't click here

Sonic Adventure Generations

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dude, May 6, 2012.

1. BandicootG

BandicootG

Ireland
    Making a Blaze the Cat mod for Sonic Generations.
    Well Dude, I really doubt it, but if you need any .adx files to use, I could provide you some from the Trial and Full Dreamcast versions of Adventure 1&2.

2. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    VERY IMPRESSIVE, good luck man.

3. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    So I've got news. I've found an animator and two texture artists, and Hinchy has graciously helped with some of the music. Progress is good and we're on track for a 1 or (maybe) 2 level release for the hacking contest.

Media update! These are all really old but they should be enough for now. I'll post a video sometime next week if this rate of work keeps up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Looks rad, but you really, REALLY need new textures. Send me a PM over IRC or something and I'll at least hook you up with the floorgrass texture I'm using for the Unleashed retexturing project.

5. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    You're probably right, but don't forget that those pics were taken at the lowest resolution, so our custom textures really weren't shown off too well. We're still working on them, but here are some better pics of the level in general:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    The biggest problem with those textures is how visibly they tile. As a general rule, the repeating should be as non-obvious as you can make it.

7. Retroman

Retroman

The water looks... amazing! :O

I'd like the grass textures to be HD too. I know you're doing that.

Also, add in the table with umbrella and chairs from City Escape Modern into the main area and that's it.

I wonder if the advancement of hacking Generations will be able to put like the big chopper chopper badnik at Modern GHZ into custom levels, and editing them. I'd think that with the Whale, it might work but it seems like it might not be possible.

I like your take on the level!

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this project progress! Though I definitely agree with previous comments that a couple of those places seem a bit too big, not because they're big, mind you, just because there's nothing of interest within them. Maybe more changes of terrain would make it seem less empty, or something to that effect.

Those water effects are gorgeous! However, those textures still give me a bit of an ill-feeling. I don't mean for it to, but they're definitely causing me eye-sore, sorry :(

I am curious as to what exactly you've changed about the game to make the boost less over-powered, as I didn't really see anything specifically stand out to make it look different in the video. Is it based on a required speed level that you must reach in order to activate it? Because if so, good on you, that's an idea that I've wished to see implemented into a Sonic game for a long time.

Anywho, good work so far, I can't wait to see how this progresses!

9. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    The textures are certainly being worked on =]
    There's more to a material than just it's texture too, I have to develop normal and specular for all of these so they actually look like what they're supposed to.
    I'm going to be adding destructible objects to the level as well as alphamapped grass blades as soon as I figure those features out.

Also, the boost has been modified in two ways:
    - the initial consumption has been increased by several times
    - the over-time consumption has also been increased.

The idea behind the boost is to make it abit more like f-zero. It'll charge quickly but you deplete it quickly as well. This is to prevent boost-holding throughout the entire level and have it be more of a opportunity based tool.

The first release will probably be on July 20th, or soon afterwards.

10. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    After all of this time, I have FINALLY gotten a water shader to not be completely opaque. Also, alphamapped grass is working now thanks to dario's update of sonicglvl:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Chaos Fusion

Chaos Fusion

Null
    The shore textures do stand out a bit but the underwater textures with the lighting looks beautiful. The boost being nerfed does work for this situation as it would stop people from skipping the entire level like the supersonic mod for SADX but I haven't played F-Zero so I have no idea how it handles the boost.
    Also, will you die if you go underwater or will there be underwater sections?

12. synchronizer

synchronizer

Why is the water a radioactive blue? Hopefully most of these little issues will be resolved. :)

Really though, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the new level design.

13. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    That water... Needs to be toned down a lot, bro. I kinda prefered when it was fully opaque, but I guess you're aiming for some "realism" over here.

The water is too bright compared to the rest of the scenary. It looks actually "ugly" if you ask me. There isn't a way to do it 50/50? Like, 50% this bright radioactive blue and 50% the opaque and pretty one?

14. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    They're different water shaders completely. One was working the other wasn't. I will be making it less bright obviously, this was just to show that I could actually do a see-through texture and show off the coral modeling I spent forever working on.

15. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Those bits of grass don't look so great, are they placeholders? I'd suggest making their texture just a tiny bit darker than the grass on the ground, or making them bigger, but have less of them?
    Also the water would be way better if it were like it is on the previous page, only a little bit transparent.

16. Death72

Death72

United States
    Sonic Freerunner
    One of Generations main accomplishments was its set pieces and the vividness and "life" it had in the level backgrounds, so I was wondering were you going to model your own set pieces, because the empty spaces in the level don't leave much to it....

Also how much of the original level and how much will be new sections will be in the final version, like are you going for a 50/50 split or what...

17. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Here's preview video #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDatoG6s2d8

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's actually looking pretty legit. The level still seems a bit too large, and the off font title card looks kind of strange, but other then that looking pretty good. I approve.

19. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Other than the really awkward looking running animation, it's looking great! The level layout's definitely impressive and the visuals themselves look quite nice.

... But seriously, please change the running animation back to how it was before. There was nothing wrong with it in the first place and this one looks really bad.

20. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    The running animation is OK TBH, but it's not great.

Also, will you be doing section 2 of Emerald Coast?