don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    No, I didn't know. Sorry, no offense intended.
    I haven't looked at anything AR/ARL related before, but as I said, I've stumbled across a relevant loading routine in my disassembly of Sonic Generations.
    For some reason, I've been under the impression that AR files were compressed and I was quite surprised to find out now that they aren't. That should tell you how ignorant I was of the format. ;)

Anyway, I've just tried GenArcEd and it's a handy tool. I've just had an idea for a tiny little mod that'll require its help...

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I just updated Generations Archive Editor so now it should look for an ARL file to determine the maximum number of AR.?? files to load.

3. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    And I've just used it for creating my very first mod: Logo Removal
    It does exactly what it says, remove the game's startup logos. I got sick of seeing them after restarting the game for the thousandth time.

4. DinodudeEpic

DinodudeEpic

I was wondering about ways to make the spin-dash work with 3D environments. (As Classic Sonic.)

So far, I have two rough ideas about where to look for the solution.

1:Investigate into the way that the Spike Wisp has been made to work in 3D. (Suggested by another user a couple pages ago.)
    2:Look for a file that defines the spin-dash and it's relation to camera angles.

The problem with the latter idea is that I don't really know where the file in question is, if it even exists as a separate file instead of being hard-coded.

Still, it would be nice if the spin-dash was fixed in 3D. (In case Classic Sonic is in a 3D level, especially if we are doing an act swap between Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic's levels.)

5. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Is there an updated version of the script? I can't seem to import the Egg Dragoon. It errors out.
    Unable to Convert: undefined to type: Interger64

enm_bne_eggdragoon_top.model
    enm_bne_eggdragoon_under.model
    enm_bne_eggdragoon_baria_under.model
    enm_bne_eggdragoon_brk.model
    enm_bne_eggdragoon_drill.model

These are the files I've tried.

6. Jogita

Jogita

Hacking Sonic games since 2011. Member
    Somewhere in the USA
    Sonic Adventure 2006.
    I don't know if this was already mentioned on here, but I don't really have time to check out all of these pages...

How can I edit Modern Sonic's animations?

7. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    1. Make sure you have Autodesk 3D Studio Max or Autodesk Maya 9-2011 (better to have Max or both, you'll see why).
    2. Download the Havok Content Tools 2.0 2011 release.
    3. Install said tools.
    4. Use the model importer script to import the Sonic model into Max.
    5. OPTIONAL: Export and import the Sonic Model into Maya if you want to animate with that. (If I recall correctly, with an FBX export/import you can set the co-ordinates to Y-Up or Z-Up; correct me if I'm wrong. If you can, export as Y-Up unless you manually fixed this).
    6. Animate.
    7. Use the Havok content tools to export by using the "Create Skeletons" filter, then "Create Animations" filter, and then the "Prune Types" filter and only check off everything for animation.
    8. Make a write to platform filter so you can actually save it out; make it a packvile, and a windows (MSVC) .hkx file.

Done. Enjoy.

8. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Installed. THANK YOU! Awesome mod!

9. Motwera

Motwera

I know this was mentioned before my several other members here but did anyone yet figure out how to change the view distance? because I can't stand playing under 15fps or any other person who has a low-range PC which CAN play Sonic generations (Any XML file or anything like that)

10. iLike80sRock

iLike80sRock

Could making the spindash work in 3D lay in "#SonicActionCommon.ar.00\ef_ch_sps_yh1_spinattack.gte.xml"? Looking through it, it looks like it may be mostly graphical stuff. Has anyone messed with it? I'm going to poke around and see if I can make anything happen.

Edit: It's all emitters and such. Nevermind this post.

11. Could you make the level start in 2D mode then switch immediately to 3D? Wouldn't that stop the game from crashing when trying to spindash before hand?

12. iLike80sRock

iLike80sRock

You have to actually spindash in the 2D section for it to not crash, IIRC.

I believe it crashes because it doesn't have a direction set in which to go. Once you've spindashed in 2D, it sets your direction and it can be "used".

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    But you're stucking spindashing in that direction so...that's not a fix. What would be a fix is having the game continuously set your spindash direction to the direction you're facing. But good luck disassembling the entire game, or monitoring the whole damn thing's ram usage while playing the game to find the correct bytes to change

14. Jogita

Jogita

Hacking Sonic games since 2011. Member
    Somewhere in the USA
    Sonic Adventure 2006.
    I got all the way until Step 4. Which I am not aware of an "Importer script". All I have are a bunch of UV-ANIM files of Sonic. Did I unpack the wrong Sonic file?

15. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Probably referring to this:
    Model Importer script, it needs to be updated some time though...

Also trying to finally figure out how the skeletons/bones work thanks to a lot of help from Darkspines and Link, not done yet but getting much more closer than I was before:
    [​IMG]

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Nice progress. Looking forward to you cracking the rest of it, Dario.

17. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Oh fuck yes, Mario Unleashed. Can't wait for first Wereplumber footage.

18. BandicootG

BandicootG

Ireland
    Making a Blaze the Cat mod for Sonic Generations.
    Well, in my honest opinion, the only Werehog to Mario is the short, fat-man himself. (Wario)

19. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Was about to post saying the same thing. Not sure how well the whole arm stretch thing would work though.

20. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Best I can think of is Wario, in all his greed, ends up swiping something from a voodoo guy, and the guy curses Wario by making him rubbery.

Hey, if he can get sucked into a music box, anything's possible.