don't click here

Sonic 3 And Amy Rose

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, May 12, 2012.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Here it is, the final in the "Amy Rose Trilogy":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Download:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2sdei8

Notes/Bugs:

* Freezes on some emulators, supposedly due to some coding to edit Hyper Amy's moves into Sonic_Stand.
    * Hyper Amy can use her flash attack using the on ground hammer, but this only works when activating her via the emeralds due to a flag.
    * Occasional collision problems, due to Amy having a larger hit radius with her hammer attacks.
    * Hammering in Competition Mode before the race starts causes the countdown to reset for some reason.
    * The hammer doesn't work on all springs, using it on the gumball bonus stage just leads you to your death.
    * The hammer attacks don't always bounce off objects. This can be particularly frustrating with some bosses like Giant Egg Robo.
    * The final ending stinger still has a 'pink Sonic' animation, I have yet to find the files for it.
    * While I have tried to keep the other two characters' gameplay intact, there may be some issues from the edits made for Amy.
    * Some flags for minor fixes were programmed for Amy alone. While Sonic and Tails mode is largely intact, there are some minor elements that aren't refined.
    * I turned off anti gravity for Amy in Debug Mode (since it would render her without an attack button). I've been getting claims it still works so it might be an emulator issue there (this was all tested on normal Gens).

If there are any more issues please notify.

Special thanx to those who helped with coding, especially Tiddles, and any who helped with the previous titles, whose coding has likely been translated onto this project. Also BIG thanx to ChelseaCatGirl who helped a lot making the extensive sprite sheet and Gsuki for the Clear pic.

2. Darkon

Darkon

UK
    I managed to get myself stuck right at the very beginning of Icecap Zone by striking the ice pillar twice in quick succession, the bottom section broke then fell, the second section broke but refused to fall and despite there being a huge gap I was unable to pass, I had to wait for a timeout.

Also this is probably more to do with going too fast but I was able to completely bypass the light switch in carnival night zone as super Amy, leading to a surprise encounter with blue knuckles.

Loving what I've played so far though, Its always nice to have a bit of freshness injected back into the classics :)

3. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

It's funny because I just tried out the hack and I also got the blue Knuckles glitch in CNZ.

I'm still playing through the game, and I found one lil' thing needing fix here. Super Amy is yellow underwater at CNZ and ICZ. I also found one certain odd palette she has while transforming (just like Sonic originally did):

[​IMG]

This one I found here is minor, but still a bit noticeable. There is this small two pixels line that appears on her sprite of grabbing a bubble:

[​IMG]

One more thing so far is using Amy in Ice Cap Act 2. The breakable paths that you go through by spinning on loops can be passed through only with spinning, and I couldn't find any way to go through there with Amy since she can't spin. Lucky for me that I was playing with Amy along Tails, so Tails could break it for me. You might want to make it possible for Amy to break that, though. Maybe have her to auto-spin when she comes close to it or something.

Another little thing I noticed that's also minor is that you can keep pressing A in the air, and the hammer sound effect will play multiple times rather than playing once the ability is used.

I'm still playing it, and I'll let you know in case I find more things to be fixed. So far, I'm liking playing through the game with Amy. Good work on this hack. c:

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The icecap loop corks can be broken by running through the loop and hammering just as you reach the cork, much like the Hill Top corks in the Sonic 2. I have never really found a way to get past the coding to check for the loop so I'm afraid that's the only way, if somewhat tedious.

As for the pillars, I never got that problem so it might just be a glitch for the overall game (I know it's happened in the original game before).

Ah yes, MapEd was very picky about the transparency for the some reason so I had to reedit them all due to grey backgrounds. I expected some leftover, though at least it's all of two pixels.

The multiple sounds are likely the insta shield noise playing at the same time, I should have edited that.

As for the CNZ bug I found it a bit tricky working with the spike block, I actually had to move it upward a tile because Amy can't spin under it normally.

I also got a few notes about other bugs like the gravity cheat in debug still working, despite me getting rid of it. Makes me wonder if some emulators have trouble reading parts of my coding.

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    This is really good stuff. Great way to cap off the Amy series.

6. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    There's two sprites you forgot to change:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And you can't pass the very begginign of IceCap. I can't pass the ice blocks.

[​IMG]

But the hack is fantastic. It's quite challenging play as Amy on S3K.

7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I really like it, though I think Amy is a bit too fast. Shouldn't she be a bit slower than Sonic? That's just my opinion though. :v: Everything else is great, and it's great to see that you've figured out how to disable the intro and snowboarding sequences too. :) My fiancee appreciates all the Amy hacks you've made as well. Oh and one more thing, looks like you've forgot to change the title cards. They still read "Sonic 3 & Knuckles."

8. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Pretty cool hack. Keep up the good work.

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I like the name you chose for the hack: "Sonic 3 and Knuckles" to "Sonic 3 and Amy."

On that note, I can't wait to hear more on your Modern Amy hacks.

...I don't get the "SONIC YOU IDIOT!" Thing you put in your OP/thread byline though. :v:

10. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Spikes fail to appear in the Marble Garden Subboss...

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Glad you both like the projects so much. :D

Probably should edit her speed. What would you say her stats are compared to Sonic's in Advance? I know she's slower but what about acceleration/decceleration?

Watch Japanese Sonic X and all will become clear.

If I remember correctly the spikes only appeared in Knuckles' story as part of his difficulty curve.

Damn, two got under the radar. To be fair though you had to search for those in the debug cheat rather than see them in actual gameplay.

I don't get the second one, I fixed that problem and the pillars fall normally for me.

12. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    yes yes and YES! *_* omg Psi, this is amazing. I'll try reporting bugs if I encounter any

13. Tokkan

Tokkan

I can confirm this glitch does happen, but only if you hit the ice blocks a second time too early (before they finish falling). Another glitch is that when standing next to these ice blocks, attempting to use the hammer can possibly make Amy jump instead.

14. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I replayed as Sonic, and spikes fall from the ceiling on the Marble Garden subboss as Sonic. The difference with Knuckles is the spiked platform below, and the boss stops halfheight so Knuckles can't reach him without the platform.

Also... post zone cuscenes requiring the character to jump over the capsule, leave you stuck in the zone... I finished Sandopolis Zone Act 2, and ended on the left of the capsule. Instead of jumping over it, she used her hammer.

15. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Okay, testing it, the ice block problem does occur a couple of times, but as mentioned before you have to bash the hammer button like mad.

Not sure why the lack of spikes occurs in the MGZ boss, since as far as I know I didn't edit anything of it's coding.

My guess is demos are programmed to the A button for jumps, causing the Sandopolis problem.

16. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    this is pretty irrelevant and low priority, but would it be possible to make an alternate version with the music disabled? I'd love to play through sonic 3 as amy with my own music playing over the sound effects.

17. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    That's interesting... On that note then, I should point out that I have seen other small slight layout differences as well. I'm not playin at the moment, but the first that comes to mind is the absence of orbinauts in many areas of LBZ... most notably on the spinning cylinders. If you hadn't touched layouts, then importing Amy must have done a lot of strange stuff. If you did, then disregard what I even said... But in the case that you didn't, I can look for anything else that stands out as weird to me.

18. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    Are you comparing it to Sonic 3 Complete? This will be using the S&K layouts exclusively, whereas that uses S3 layouts for LBZ by default, which tend to sprinkle a lot more orbinauts and difficulty around.

19. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I probably was comparing it to Complete... come to think of it... as I've been playing your hack for my S3K fix... up until this came out... Guess that would explain the unfamiliarity I'm having...

20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I've played MGZ and spikes appear in the miniboss. I get the feeling this works differently on some emulators, given a few complaints I've heard have no resemblance to what I've tested (eg. anti gravity still working, ice blocks won't break).

I was wondering, would it be possible to get Sonic and Knuckles' objects to load in one game depending how you progress? It might be cool if I can get Amy to enter Knuckles' walls like in S3C, having the ability to select either characters' path, though as seen when debugging through them, there are obviously some layout issues to get through first.