don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. I have to say a very well done to you guys. All this stuff would have been beyond me, personally, and quite frankly, this is good enough to negate the need for DLC.

2. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    This is a public service announcement.

Havok Collision can now be ported into Generations flawlessly without crashes on exiting the level, and previewing collision is possible no matter how complex the geometry. You simply need up to* 3D Studio Max 2011 edition, as well as the Havok 2010 2.0 Content Tools.

Thank you for your time.

* = edited May 02. Sorry for confusion lol.

EDIT: Losers can also use Maya/XSI.

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Wow this has come so very far since I've started this topic.
    Never dreamed of things going this far ! Really... Keep up the good work. and if anyone has any links for tools that arnt on the front page,
    please PM me and I'll post them on the front page of the topic. Lets keep things easy and orgonised!

4. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

That's awesome! Do you know about any still-lingering consistency issues with Unleashed collision meshes in Generations, such as the one Dario mentioned regarding death planes?

5. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Andrew will you please update the front page to inform everybody that the game itself has been cracked wider than Humpty Dumpty and that custom levels are an ongoing event? :U

EDIT: iGamr, that was a compatability issue with formats. We were using Havok 3.0. Generations uses 2.0 since its development started in 2010 (or earlier and they decided to upgrade?). The discovery of the game being horrifically stable with version 2.0 means we'll be able to port EVERYTHING

.... except Cool Edge. Ice makes the game cry. So no slip sliding away, sorry guys (not that anyone really gives a shit :U)

6. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    At this point that OP really needs a serious overhaul(we're not cracking the demo anymore lol). Plus a nice handy link to the Sonic Community Hacking Guide: Sonic Generations wiki page.

Also should include a link to GW's topic for music replacement since that's a pretty common request.

Anyway, quoting this because it's really important.
    This doesn't mean you all have to rollback your favourite 3D edition software for doing custom stages. Just keep a separate version around for exporting COLLISION, you can still do your terrain in any favourite 3D editor you want. Just as you can do your collision in anything else and just export it out to Max 2011(Max 2012 can save files for Max 2011, so Max 2012 users won't have any much more trouble).

Either Havok Content Tools(2010.2.0, 64-bit) or (2010.2.0) will work fine.

EDIT: I can really confirm the Havok thing was the issue. Even now I could finally do Empire City without crashing when quitting.

7. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

...Does "everything" include things such as the Jungle Joyride teleport? (I'm also a bit curious as to how you guys plan to work with the lack of... Egg Chasers? Aero Chasers? Whatever you call them.)

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yeah! sure thing ! I'll do that now.
    also I don't follow this topic as well as I should, Still super busy working on house related work ( renovations).
    so any major updates please PM them over to me to update the front page. also some updates, or recourses that I may have missed,
    my time is very limited for reading back 100s of posts.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Well ones things for sure, since your on now mind changing the topic and subtopic title? this has gone far beyond resources now. "Sonic Generations Hacking." seems alright.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Done!

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Any of you guys interested in starting a Sonic Generations community project? I think that would be awesome!
    I couldn't really take much part in something like that as I've got 2 ongoing projects currently.
    however I could donate some sonic CD levels I've been working on for such a project.

12. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    What about 2012? Have you tried it with 2012?

Also, is this where we get it from?
    http://software.intel.com/sites/havok/en/

13. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Man, Wave Ocean seems like such a better level through Generation's eyes as it is already. I'd love to see a playable version of 2006 result from this some day.

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

We had been using 2012 up to this point. It's the main reason of the crashes. Your best bet is to just use the version Sonic Team(or Devil's Details) used for this game, which is the one above.

Yes.

15. Looks like he fixed the final loop. Things are really looking good for Generations, and I can't wait for plenty of levels to be released :D.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zceZk2IbM8o&feature=g-u-u[/youtube]

16. Falk

Falk

Man, there are some areas (bumpers and the loop) that really could use some custom camera work, but that's pretty cool.

17. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    My favourite modern level. Oh, God!
    MAN, I FUCKING LOVED THIS WORK. I FUCKING LOVE YOU FOR THIS!!

EDIT: I forgot to say how is impressive the work you did with Wave Ocean, RandomIP. What a great job!

18. Dario FF

Dario FF

Why are you quoting a 3 months old video? :v:

EDIT: And that ain't RandomIP's video. O_o

19. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

3DS Max 2011 is not needed. I use Max 2010 with the Havok 2010 RC2 plugin and it works fine.

20. Dario FF

Dario FF

He just means up to 2011(told him to correct it), since that's as far as the Havok 2.0 plugin will go. (hk_2010_2.0_r1 that is)

AFAIK that Havok version supports as low as Max 9.0 as well.