don't click here

Sonic Jump for Sega Saturn

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Wesker, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Wesker

Wesker

I know there was a previous thread for this, but it seems it was locked for some reason.

Anyway, there's a demo available now. FacundoARG is already giving the final touches to this little homebrew for the Sega Saturn.

2. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I really hope this project becomes a gateway to more Saturn programming. IMAGINE A 2.5D SONIC GAME WITH SATURN SPRITES~

This is a real milestone in fangames, when you think about it.

3. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Well squealing christ I would have guessed Saturn homebrew would be a nightmare, having read so much about the hell it is to emulate it, let alone develop for it. Should I be really impressed this exists?

4. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I certainly am impressed. I would never have the patience to homebrew a console game since I'm so used to PC.

Obviously, the gameplay is quite un-Sonic, but I don't think that was the main goal of this project. So, kudos to the author for getting something playable created on a Saturn emulator. ^_^

5. Wesker

Wesker

You got that right. The main goal for FacundoARG is actually getting to work an stable engine for the Sega Saturn in order to reuse it for other possible projects.

He is using assets from J2ME games like this, because he was a J2ME coder for Gameloft and has tools to easily extract content from those.

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Sonic Jump isn't exactly the hardest to extract assets from, though, I've done it before already. The JRE is just a ZIP with all the files inside, graphics are stored as PNG and sounds are stored as MID. The only assets I don't know the format for are the levels, but those are custom to the game (and probably the level data was changed for every version).

7. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    To clarify: threads automatically lock after a certain period of time with no new posts (to prevent members who aren't paying attention from bumping year-old threads). Feel free to discuss the new demo release in this thread though!

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wonder what happened to RACCAR? do you happen to know Wesker seeing your on his friends list and all...

Anyways, can this game be played on emulators too?

9. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    RACCAR is OK, he is my boyfriend, he's just busy!

10. RACCAR

RACCAR

Dragon Team Member
    Madrid Spain
    Spiderhog, Sonic Ages, and Sonic Paradise
    I lurk around, but I just post when I have something important to say ;)

11. Wesker

Wesker

Sure. It works fine on SSF.