don't click here

Sonic "Forever" Alpha - Released

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by BlazeHedgehog, Apr 2, 2012.

1. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I might not have been able to bounce as well with it; I'll double-check in a sec to make sure. Nope, that's not it.

EDIT:

Times So Far
    Act 1 Modern 32"35
    Act 2 Modern 26"62

I haven't had this much fun speedrunning in long while!

2. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    It might reflect projectiles but it's also meant to serve as a quick flash of invincibility - many times I've used it to stop taking damage from Eggman's spikes during the Big Arm fight.

3. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    That was part of the April Fools joke. Use the arrow keys to input some famous Sonic cheat codes, then when you hear a chime press Enter.

4. synchronizer

synchronizer

Ah thank you.

Well, after playing the first act, and accidentally finding the third (how do you access each of the acts?), I can say that this game is enjoyable indeed. Jut fix some of the weird collision/wall bugs. That big waterfall section in Act 3 was a little bit frustrating, because I kept falling all the way down. Anyway, thank.

5. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I definitely plan on updating the rocks that pop out of the waterfall, somebody pointed it out to me that the ones in Sonic 3 aren't behind the water for more than a couple seconds.

6. Deef

Deef

Regarding the insta-shield, I saw this a long time ago:

[​IMG]

7. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Oddly, the Sonic Retro Physics Guide has no information on the InstaShield, so I'm curious as to whether or not this is true. Anyone else want to fill in the blanks? I'll implement it if it's something I'm missing.

8. Deef

Deef

lol! Indeed it doesn't.
    It's a definite thing though, you can probably find it explained elsewhere online, but I'm a bit surprised that so far no-one from Retro has popped in with the clarification.

Yeah, I am enjoying the show. For a playable test that isn't too obvious, fire up Sonic alone in Sonic 3 and try to get the Angel Island power sneakers without passing or touching the 2nd tree. Without the insta-shield it's near impossible.

9. Ryuki

Ryuki

Just throwing this out there as not 100% sure, but doesn't the insta-shield restore the player control following a spindash jump? (Years ago I would know this, as it is I haven't played these games for so long I can barely scratch 25 seconds in GHZ act 1 D:)

10. Andre

Andre

I don't post on these forums that often, but I've found the whole speed running/ghost sharing aspect of this fan game to be quite intriguing. I'd like to see if anyone can beat my act 1 times for either classic or modern sonic.

Act 1: Classic
    Act 1: Modern

11. This, pretty much. Been playing this non stop for a while now =)

Edit: Here's a faster run of Act 1 and a replay (the times are different for some reason)
    [​IMG]

Act 1

12. dust hill resident

dust hill resident

Oldbie
    London
    Making music
    Great work. This is seriously really fun, I've already played through it about four or five times in 20 minutes. There are only a few issues I have with it (and they're probably only because it's very early on in development and others have probably pointed them out already, but I'll mention them anyway): The spindash doesn't seem to give very much of a speed boost, and the level design could use some improvements (though it's not at all bad by any stretch of the imagination).
    The music is really nice BTW. I'm assuming you took it from some megadrive game, but I dunno.

One more thing. I know you're not thinking about the music at the moment, and I know that I'm probably not right for the job, but I might be interested in writing music for this project if you wanted me to.

Anyway. This is a very promising project, I wish you good luck with it.

13. Andre

Andre

That was quite impressive. I used your strategy at the beginning and combined it with my own at the end to come out with the faster time.
    Act 1: Classic

14. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Right-O, but even if you jump against a wall and rise above its peak, you can use the Insta-Shield to move over and land on it, since normally the wall stops your forward momentum.

15. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Finally got around to doing these. Right click and save as, or they might come up as text files (yes, they're just text files, and no, they aren't very secure... yet. But they will be more secure.)

ACT 1
    Classic Sonic - S: 50500 | T: 0'30"23 | R: 80
    Tails - S: 17090 | T: 0'35"05 | R: 59
    Knuckles - S: 28530 | T: 0'38"50 | R: 73
    Modern Sonic - S: 40080 | T: 0'28"72 | R: 78

ACT 2
    Classic Sonic - S: 14790 | T: 0'32"10 | R: 29
    Tails - S: 14430 | T: 0'37"51 | R: 28
    Knuckles - S: 44140 | T: 0'27"40 | R: 24
    Modern Sonic - S: 15010 | T: 0'32"09 | R: 31

ACT 3
    Classic Sonic - S: 18930 | T: 0'42;93 | R: 33
    Tails - S: 18500 | T: 0'41"11 | R: 30
    Knuckles - S: 18950 | T: 0'39"51 | R: 35
    Modern Sonic - S: 19890 | T: 0'34"41 | R: 44

If you race any of these, keep in mind that the race system is as such that fastest time does not always count. There is a sub-system going on behind the scenes so that even if you're a second or two slower than the guy you're racing, but you finish with considerably more rings or score, you will win the match by "Technicality".

I was super rusty in a lot of these so they aren't like, the fastest times ever. Especially when we're talking Tails and Knuckles.

16. Deef

Deef

Regarding the insta-shield, just confirming and clearing it up.

Any rolling jump disables horizontal control, as this demo does as well. But the insta-shield re-enables it. In fact, every secondary move in Sonic 3&K also happens to break that uncontrollable jump, including the shields. This is what the insta-shield, and lightning shield, don't do in Sonic Forever.

[​IMG]

Sonic can just spin dash and jump, scaling the wall, then use an insta-shield to regain control and pop over it. In Sonic 2, you're stuffed.

It's a great feeling & useful move imo, but yeah a lot of people don't even notice it. Sonic CD doesn't need it either.

17. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Well, it's in the to-do list now. I have other stuff I want to do before I get back to working on this, though.

18. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Question, why is a poorly resized '06 render used for M.Sonic's signpost? I know for a fact the Modern Genesis spritesheet has a signpost on it. You're just reinforcing the "modern = suck" idea. On the most fun playstyle in the game.

19. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

That was actually the original intent of Modern Sonic, actually. I'd be worried about spoiling a huge point of the game but considering I already posted the demo with Modern Sonic in it, and the game is entering its third year in development and I still don't even have zone 1 done, I might as well go all the way:

The original idea of this game was me going "Man, Sonic 4 is super lame, anyone could slap together a game using existing tropes". So, I figured I would do three act zones, each act referencing a specific game. Act 1 is patterned after Sonic 1, Act 2 is patterned after Sonic 2, and Act 3 is patterned after S3&K (hence why Act 3 is a jungle - I'm referencing Angel Island).

At some point it occurred to me that I could take things a little bit further and, as an easter egg, have Modern Sonic be unlockable - one of the hardest unlockables in the game. Once unlocked, he would be used to showcase the difference between Classic Sonic aesthetics and Modern Sonic aesthetics. I had even considered doing a few Modern Sonic specific levels just to drive the point home between how different the two "eras" are. The original intent would be that Modern Sonic would be super "hold right to win" and basically indulge in all of the bad habits that have cluttered up this franchise.

But then all my beta testers were like "Dude, playing as Modern Sonic in this is kind of awesome. That character in these level designs is exactly the kind of game I've always wanted."

And I was like "Oh. Huh. I guess you're kind of right."

That is part of the reason I have gone back and forth between crippling Modern Sonic for "balance" and just letting him dominate everything. He was conceptualized as being kind of bad on purpose, but ended up the polar opposite almost totally by accident.