don't click here

Sonic 2 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Canned Karma, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wait its getting to the gaming blogs already?!

...Yeah this is worrying now because this is going to leave a huge shit stain on not only this project but this community as well. the idiot masses are going to think were going around spreading key-loggers and whatnot in our fan-games/hacks and watching their activity when in reality its just some lunatic whose gone too far with a fan-game. Remember, idiots tend to lump in a whole group for 1 persons actions.

Maybe it is a good idea that the ties were cut with the community and this fangame.

2. TheGreen1

TheGreen1

Would you put it past him? I mean, he made a fucking DRM system so his fangame can't get hacked.

Let me repeat that

DRM on a fangame so it CAN'T GET HACKED.
    I'd be using wireshark on this shit.

3. Miles3298

Miles3298

Is it bad if I laughed? I do say, this has gotten rather interesting. I wonder what the future holds for this project; that is, other than all this DRM and keylog mess. Hopefully it's a good one.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    People like LOst?

5. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    "OMFG SONIC 2 HD IS BETAR THAN SONIC 4 : EPISOD 2, LOLZ SEGA!!11!1!!"

Yeah right....
    Now if you excuse me, I'll delete this garbage of a fangame and wait for an official product that will not hide some DRM or other keyloggers.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Thank you, LOst. Thank you so very, very much. Maybe I'm exaggerating here. You know, overreacting a bit.

But it would seem to me that you've taken great steps to potentially tarnish Sonic Retro's entire reputation, putting future projects with ties to Retro (like the Mobius Engine) in jeopardy of being accused of including malicious code.

There isn't a single reason you needed the registry to operate the game. None. You, or someone else, is entirely welcome to educate me otherwise but I don't see the need at all. Some of us use our computers for sensitive operations, like online banking and the such.

You know what? Fuck you. I can't be arsed to be polite and pussyfoot around anymore. You fucked up.

7. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Yeeees, in terms of publicity I should say.

EDIT: And I should also mention that this invasive stunt has kind of perverted the game for me a little. I hope the rest of the team can confirm their dis-acknowledgement of this Keylogger if they never knew already.

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Remember how Lost wanted to disable the ability to take screenshots or record video of the game playing? Perhaps that's what the keylogger is for.

This is completely terrible, though. Way to destroy the rep of the project, lOst. What the fuck gives you the right to put something like this in the project? Are you thick? Do you not know how invasive that is?

9. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    I just tried this actually, nothing happened when I loaded the 32 bit version of the game up in a VM, but the 64 bit one refused to go off a black screen even though I'm using a 64 bit VM. The 32 bit version doesn't talk to the net (using wireshark in promiscuous mode on an external machine on the same LAN) Only traffic I saw was NOD32 sending data back to ESET.

It's not opening a socket either on launch, so it's not giving itself away that easily.

10. Spazzo

Spazzo

Ontario, Canada
    http://spaddlewit.com
    http://kotaku.com/5900549/sonic-2-hd-contains-keylogger-delete-immediately

Oh shit.

I guess that explains the obfuscation/DRM!

11. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    Welp. This proves interesting.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    The sad unfortunate truth is that this project will likely never recover from this. If you think the general public will be able to consume the idea that this was the result of a single programmer and that no one else involved with the game had anything to do with it, you're assuming too much of the general population. Even if lost is removed from this project, people know SONIC 2 HD, not the programmer himself.

And you have to question at what point will sega step in and do something about this? Do you think the average kid knows that Sonic 2 HD isn't a product from sega themselves? I mean, Sonic IS Sega.

I'm so incredibly sad for this project. And completely pissed. Not just because of the invasion of privacy, but because lost didn't think enough of this community or the people working on this project to think for 5 minutes about what kind of harm he was doing not only to this game, but for Sonic Retro and Sega Hacking in general.

This is a really bad moment in our community history.

13. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    The sadder thing is this might affect the public image of Sonic fan games in general. Just what we need with SAGE creeping around the corner this Summer.

14. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    The guy wanted to keep people from TAKING SCREENSHOTS of the game.

F***ING

SCREENSHOTS

no rly

why

WHY

Thordammit, fangamers and hackers are even more anal about "their" stuff than the companies.

15. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    And at this point it looks like years of legitimate persons' hard work and effort is being flushed right down the shitter.

Good job Lost.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Now that's not exactly true. Sonic 2 HD wasn't exactly meant to win the hearts and minds of the internet. It was a love letter to fans, by fans. We'll still play it, as long as we know LOst has nothing to do with it anymore. I'm just not too keen for the ridicule of communities like this to change from "insufferable, unpleasable brats" to "tryin' to steal yo megabitz"

17. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Man, I can read the future. I deleted the whole EXE and everything shortly after playing it. Thing never even hit the registry.

I guess I was lucky.

18. Tithin

Tithin

There ain't no row, like Saints Row. Member
    :golfclap:

Can't wait to get home and delete this.

19. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    Kotaku fixed up the article, removing us as "the dev team" no typical UPDATE mark on it though. Just trying to make it like it was always like that.

20. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Way to go LOst. You just fucked up the community you've been a part of for a very long time and crushed many fans' dreams. I honestly feel sorry for the rest of the Sonic 2 HD team, all their hard work is now going down the crapper. I'm glad I didn't get the chance to play this now, I don't have my own computer so that would have been horrible for either my fiancee or my roommate. Even if the team gets a new programmer, I dunno if they'd be able to bounce back from this shit... And now probably other communities will look down upon us. Fuck you LOst, why don't you get lost? :v: (Haha get it? Okay I'm done...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.