don't click here

Sonic 2 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Canned Karma, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Holy loly. Good thing I never got around to trying this out.

This is ridiculous. Someone is gonna have to come out and do some MAJOR PR work, pronto.

2. sebmal

sebmal

I am the man! Oldbie
    Welp, fun project while it lasted. Have fun coming back from this.

3. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Regarding the keylogger: we've been tipped off by a commenter on the front page that S2HD creates registry hooks and monitors keyboard input in any window that has focus while the game is running. I personally really doubt the key monitoring behavior is designed to steal your information or anything (probably just sloppy input code), but be wary.

4. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    If it's sloppy input code, that's even worse. At least malicious intent would indicate a level of competency rather than none at all.

5. This is fucking pathetic. Fucking. Pathetic.

6. For the first time ever, I consider myself glad to have not touched a Sonic fangame.

Way to go, L0st. You've perhaps made the biggest fangaming epic fail in history.

7. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

Welp, I deleted everything. I suppose that's what I get for jumping right the heck into a fangame before thinking it through. A keylogger? Really?

8. I had no problem with S2HD, but now I do. This is disgusting. Saying it was no longer a community project despite the fact that it was started as one? Okay, dick more. DRM? A little over the top, a keylogger? No. Just no. This project needs to die. 3 strikes, you're out!

9. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    So this makes it two major Retro members falling from grace this year?

10. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Keep the art (minus the shitty Sonic looking-up/down),
    keep the music, kill off LOst,
    find a veteran programmer who knows their way around the Sonic Physics Guide.

Hell, give it all to Synergy. He knew his stuff it seemed.

Or inquire about the nitty-gritty of using the Retro Engine.

11. Yeah, um, I'd like to remind people that this keylogger shit is probably LOst's fault, and doesn't necessarily reflect the desires of the rest of the Sonic 2 HD team. While letting him essentially hold the project hostage for DRM was a HUGE mistake, they don't deserve to be lambasted for the irrational actions of one extremely paranoid man.

I sent Canned Karma a link to the article announcing the keylogger, and how to clean up the residues of Sonic 2 HD. His profile says he was on last night, so hopefully he'll come by and announce something soon.

12. jman2050

jman2050

I'm pretty sure most people closely following this project knew this was LOst's handiwork without question.

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wow glad I never got it working. Guessing this was also LOst's brilliant idea?...

What the hell man, just what the actual hell?

14. TheGreen1

TheGreen1

Eh, SS posted it up on Twitter so that people know that S2HD has a (possible) keylogger. I'm sure that will do great for S2HD's stellar reputation.

15. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    It's only LOst's fault. Don't blame the other members.

Good grief. This is strike two. What's next? Was the keylogger programmed so you could take revenge on the Sonic Community? Or was it merely crappy programming?

16. Chibs

Chibs

the worst human on the fuckin' planet Member
    This project always seemed terribly managed, so this on top of it all is just hilarious.

vvv e: sup cutie vvv

17. sebmal

sebmal

I am the man! Oldbie
    Yeah no everyone here knows it was LOst but try explaining this whole situation to the tons of people who probably downloaded it when they saw the Joystiq article or something.

^^^ e: heya buddy ^^^

18. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    What the flying fucking fuck? That's incredibly bullshit. Why in the fucking world would you need a keylogger? TO SEE IF SOMEONE IS HACKING YOUR GAME IN REALTIME!?!?!? OH NOEZ MY CODDEEEZZ

Jesus fucking Christ...

He was messing with the registry, which you CAN'T do by writing shitty code. He knew what he was doing in that situation.

I would NEVER want to get anywhere near the registry. A professional game shouldn't ever even need to mess with the registry, let alone a fan game!

19. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Maybe it was his sketchy-ass way of getting some decent input response times. No matter what, this game was LEAGUES ahead of any Unity-based fangame.

20. jman2050

jman2050

There are some legitimate uses of the registry for a professional product, especially in newer versions of Windows. That's what it's there for after all.

This, obviously, is not one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.