don't click here

Sonic AYII

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, Mar 18, 2012.

1. dsrb

dsrb

The new WIP on the left is a lot better than the old one on the right, IMO. The latter is way too assfacey! I'd say you're heading in the right direction here. It looks quite like an extension/evolution of the (non-assface) promotional art from Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

That's not to say that I wouldn't be interested in your opinions on / attempts at Black Squirrel's suggestion, but this latest sprite is definitely going in a direction I like. :)

Edit: fixed a horrible embarrassing misspelling ;_; YOU SAW NOTHING

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    The smaller size of the eyes on your W.I.P makes all the difference in the world compared to your concept art! Love where you're going with it. I really like what it looks like you're posing the hands like, it's a bit more of a natural-looking and interesting gesture. I am really liking where you're going with this :)

My question is, though, are you going to be doing all of the level art yourself? That's going to be an intense undertaking!

3. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    The old one still looks better. I dunno, the head on the new one looks too squared and I don't like the colors.

4. Falk

Falk

The shading towards the back of his head suggests "Mohawk" a liiittle too much for my taste. D:

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I'll consider this, but this is exactly what I aimed for with my concept art. So we'll see.

I agree! That official art looks very good, but I find it hard achieve those shapes for what ever reason :(

Thanks ;)

Well, that's the plan, it is my own fangame, however big I make it seem (but yes, huge task lah lah. Engine too!). ;)

That's deliberate, I want as many nods to Sonic 1 in the art as possible. I just love it.

To be honest, I tried out the other way of doing it, I couldn't get the 3D illusion correct to my, very high standards. :v:

EDIT:

Level editor, early video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeZKpTeD8js

6. Lambda

Lambda

Forgive me if you've already went over this, Sonica, but who's doing the music?

7. Wait, you're releasing it with a custom level editor too? It looks incredibly easy to use. How are the graphics going to be handled? I'm imagining that each shape you can lay down has a matching image you can edit in something like Paint, and that image gets laid over the shape in the editor. Am I close?

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    At the moment, no one.

It's not really a priority, because I don't have to build the game around the music, the music should be composed to fit the theme of the level. So yeah, that's still open.

Edit:

This exact editor is just for the physics demo at some point, but I will be tooling with the idea for a final game level editor, having made 2 already before in other past projects. If I end up doing it, I'd probably end up working somewhat like 'Sonic Maker' was going to in version 3 (that I never released! :ssh: )

9. Are you planning on including any support for custom tiles that have different kinds of sloping for the editor?

10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I havent thought about it so deeply. Of course, if I do it there will be a way to do everything, but I simply don't know right now :)

11. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    They wouldn't, Egg Island would be a small island off the coast of the big, main island of the game. Say Westside/South Island is Britain, Egg Island would be the Isle Of Mann (as an example).

Oh and Sonic is looking just brilliant! Glad you're going for a Sonic 1 vibe.

12. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    The new one is definitely better. The eye that's in perspective makes more sense.

13. winterhell

winterhell

Sonica,
    What resolution are you rendering the game at the moment, and what CPU/GPU do you have?
    My concern is that I've seen many GM games choke on high resolutions, performing 5 or more times slower than their "real language" counterpart.

14. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    The new one with the old ones colours would be win!

15. dsrb

dsrb

By jove, the man has a point! :v:

16. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I feel like the spines should have more dimensionality and greater sync with his head for a Sonic that exists somewhere between 94-98. I'd recommend looking at stuff from around that era . Also look at Sonic 3's sprite even if you hate it, since even thought the sprite does have flaws it does indicate a lot of the elements of Sonic's appearance from 1/2 that they were leaving behind.

Being picky yes, but Sonic 4 "As I imagined it" heavily involves Sonic as I imagine him looking in the Saturn Era minus the crappy 90s CG.

17. dsrb

dsrb

From the above link:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes! Just make him look like this. Forget the other ones from that gallery, for the most part—these two are perfect. Also, the latter is named after you, so it's totally meant to be!

Fun fact: When I was younger, I saw the former image in an issue of Sega Saturn Magazine and was all like ‘wao, is he makin naughty finger hand and how can they shoe that'

18. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic's body size changes form art to art so much it's unreal.

Anyway, I really can't get this to look right. Even tracing those sonic heads directly looks completely wrong if I try and put it on him. The only real difference is the spikes, and the back of his head, I feel the current shapes are the only one that fit.

Maybe someone could actually draw a suggestion, I don't mind, but I'm having real trouble visualizing how this would work.

19. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I just had a quick idea that could link the Eggman-Island idea to the rest of the game:

A jet-ski level, where Sonic is pulled along by Tails in the Tornado, in a way not too dissimilar to Sky Chase Zone. Fish badniks and seagulls as enemies, throw some ramps in there for ring bonuses. Maybe even add a chase by a giant fish badnik (or Eggman piloted boss), at the end.

20. CorralSummer

CorralSummer

Sonic 2 HD
    His body is also sometimes a perfect circle or an egg shape.

The eyes on the two pictures dsrb posted are taller than yours.
    The muzzle has a different shape (it curves with the eyes quite a bit, while on yours it doesn't as much.)
    The shading on the back of yours goes all the way up to the top spike. On the official artwork, it stops about midway the middle spike, this gives the illusion that the head is a ball and the spike are coming off it.

Even though they're in a different angle it shouldn't be hard to draw I don't think.