don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    So many springs, the level design looks so freaking linear. I was under the impression we would be getting levels the size of S3&K, but I was definitely wrong. It looks just like Episode 1 with a few noticeable improvements. Still not worth the money. Looks like a giant floaty mess with scripted physics everywhere. Nothing has really been fixed, just sugarcoated. They pretty much created their own new 2D Sonic, this is barely like the Genesis games.

And Sylvania Castle Zone is one of the worst zone names ever, wow.

2. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    But... We haven't even seen the entire level yet. How can you judge the length when the level was never beater?

3. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    The new footage and screenshots has me pretty excited about the game. Now if only I could hear the music decently and they make Tails playable in single player. <_<

Edit-

I do wish there was less emphasis on boosters and scripted springs though.

4. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    We didn't even see the full level, though. And level design aside, the physics look vastly improved. Sonic picks up momentum much faster than in Episode I, it seems like the instant loss of inertia is gone for good, and Sonic's jump seems to have more weight on it.

The level design doesn't really feel that linear to me, either. Besides that one mega-automated scene (Which sucks, believe me like... just why?), the levels are multi-tiered like the Genesis games, cocking-up results in the shittier, water-based path as opposed to death, etc. I think the level design, if even a little bit, seems like an improvement over Episode I's.

I'm hoping for longer levels ala Sonic 3 & Knuckles though. Not expecting, but it'd be nice to get some good 3-5 minute long levels in there.

5. Rokkan

Rokkan

Spin-Dashing was originally there as a facilitator for people with little skill. It requires you to be at full halt and charging it, which is unneeded time lost. Skilled players (disregarding TAS button-mashing super charged spin-dashes) would barely ever use any Spin-Dashes because they'd always be running at full speed, and only use it whenever their momentum is completely sucked away from them. Since skilled players avoid obstacles to keep their speed, there are only a few moments in which Spin-Dashing was actually useful for time attacking. Do also remember that Spin-Dashing also has another penalty to it in Sonic 2, 3 and & Knuckles - because you're in a ball form, your speed is at mercy of the environment, and can be easily sucked away from you. Getting out of a spin-dash requires you to do a rolling jump, which sucks away your speed and a lot of time too.

Loopings were originally simple obstacles that worked really well with the design of the game (rewards speed with more speed, punishes slow players) and showcased the game's major selling points in its aesthetics and physics. but really, should it be surprising that SEGA isn't using them like that anymore. And should it also be surprising that Sonic 4 has nothing to do with the classic games at all at this point.

Well, for me it was surprising to see that the game looks exactly the same as Episode I when they came up with something that worked really well in Generations 3DS. For me it was really surprising that the level design still seems like the same shit all over again. The level kept throwing and throwing the player forward to trick him into thinking that he was actually doing something. But as a result, you get whole huge sections that have as much gameplay to it as looking at paint dry out has. And the all the supporting and looking forward to this game, lifted by some sort of feeling of "well it's OKAY, it's not THAT BAD" feels more like ableism of all the mediocrity that SEGA was doing pretty well at trying to overcome. It's getting the addiction back at the guy who's been doing well at rehab.

6. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    If anyone noticed, the guy playing was shit but he tried to play it like a classic Sonic game, hence why he wasn't homing attacking into those springs even though it's become common knowledge to us now.

Fuck this game.

7. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Yeah I noticed that, both players expected Sonic to behave like his classic self and were baffled when he didn't.

8. Rokkan

Rokkan

Also; fuck the whole "we haven't seen the whole thing yet" argument that I see on every thread of an unreleased game. No fucking shit Sherlock, it should be obvious that everyone in this thread is doing impressions of what we've seen so far, not the review of the whole game. Strangely, this argument is one sided; people can say that they're hyped and want to buy the game without "seeing the whole thing yet", but people cannot be critical or dismissive without "seeing the whole thing yet". So yes, let's go on an agreement here and say "nobody has the whole game available to them as of now and what everyone is doing is analyzing what information we have available".

I can still change my mind, I thought Generations' Green Hill (both Modern and Classic) looked straightforward and boring as shit when I first saw it. Only months later we had more of Green Hill and footage of the really great levels of the game. Still though, not letting my hopes up is what made me enjoy Colors and Generations, and boy is Sonic 4 Episode II doing a great job at that.

9. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Important good things I observed from the video so far:

-He said there were 17 levels, implying a fifth stage not including the Final Boss acts. Assuming that each stage has three acts. (5*3=15+Final Zone acts)

-There are multiple overlooked instances where one could choose to fly up with Tails and take an alternate path, implying a deeper and more expansive stage than we think. Also using the homing attack in one instance resulted in the player falling to the lower path, leading me to believe that the better, probably quicker path is rewarded to those who are skillful. This is a good thing.

-Sonic has significantly improved and more fluid animations. His waiting animation also has a more "what the heck player" feel that it should have.

-The Sonic/Tails combo moves look to be implemented clearly and logically, and they are easily accessible, and simple to use (Hold on ground for double spin dash, Hold in mid air for flight).

10. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    This, especially when those disappointed aren't even being outwardly angry or ridiculous about it, and they're kindly voicing their opinions. I've posted what I thought to be smart, well thought-out posts about the flaws of Episode I and how they seem to reflect in Episode II (As well as the better thing of EII as well), and I've gotten lambasted with hateful remarks, people calling me a jaded angry fanboy whose unpleasable and biased (Despite loving Colors and Generations..?). It's ridiculous.

I'm pretty certain that includes boss acts, but hey, maybe there's a secret zone. I doubt it though, I remember them saying the same stuff with Episode I, including the boss acts in the total level roster.

Yes. People keep harping on the animations, still saying that Sonic looks awkward and dumb... how? The animations in this game look sublime.

This is one reason why I want to wait a bit before making any judgments. I think that Tails' flight being implemented with Sonic's moveset is actually a good thing. Yeah, it kind of defeats the purpose of multiple characters, but it's a legitimately logical step after simply having Tails follow Sonic for no reason, I like him serving a purpose other than "Player 2" or "Sonic's bitch".

I dunno about the double-spindash though. Unless it opens up new paths that are optional and require skill to get to, it just seems like an overpowered mess to me.

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Saw that thar video. Combo move looks cool. Jumping looks a bit better. More evidence that uncurling was done away with. Pretty visuals, and a nifty new title card. Too bad the springs are borked and the Homing Attack is that forced, but oh well, long as the physics are cool the rest of th-
    [​IMG]
    Where's my goddamned air running? It's been missing since like Sonic Adventure, come on.
    :flunked:

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    4 zones * 3 acts + 1 boss act = 16 acts + 1 final act = 17 levels.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I thought the third act was the boss act?

14. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    No, in S4E1 each level had three acts and a boss.

15. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    There's six more minutes of footage I can't link you guys to ('cause they have it), but at one part the guy lets go of the D-Pad mid jog(I guess to readjust) and Sonic doesn't stop dead in his tracks. Sonic even bounced off an enemy at one point. Into the air even.

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    We've already seen that video.

17. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Who wants translations?

Anyone? No?

Well fuck you, here they are.

Tails:

In episode 1, he was devoted to supporting Sonic from the shadows, making a rocket in order to go to space. This time, he utilizes his signature ability of spinning his two tails to fly through the air by doing a Tag Action with Sonic to assist him on his adventure.

Eggman:

An evil genius scientist whose plans were hindered by Sonic in episode 1. In accordance with the timing of the Little Planet re-approaching, he decides to break the silence.
    Dr. Eggman schemes in secret, his grand plan is quietly and reliably now moving into its second phase...

Metal Sonic:

A super high performance robot that should have been defeated in the battle with Sonic in Sonic CD's Stardust Speedway.
    It's body that was fully restored because of Dr. Eggman's plans is equipped with speed and attack power that exceeds the original.

Ok, continue your pointless bickering

18. Deef

Deef

So Endri didn't write any specific remarks about the physics, which he is capable of recognising, because?
    He wrote that he wouldn't post any follow up or answer any questions because?

What he did write was that the physics weren't anything near 1:1.

He said that his post was meant to be comforting, so how come he didn't get any more specific than "rolling accelerates when you go down." ?

19. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Oh no, I have to glide and climb to progress through Knuckles' stages in Sonic 3K? Fuck that game.

Now, I'm not trying to sway your opinion, because swaying ANYONE'S opinion in this place would take MANY works of God to do, but seriously, the homing attack is a mechaninc in this game that the levels use. It will be expected that the player be able to use it to be able to progress. It's no fucking different than Knuckles' ability to glide and climb or Tails' ability to fly/swim.

The thing is, when quote like this are said:

It's hard for me to take this as an "impression" when the individual is quite clearly jumping to a conclusion of the entire game's level design when we have yet to even see a level in its entirety, much less a goddamned CHECKPOINT.

20. Rokkan

Rokkan

if there's no evidence of what he's claiming, then you call him out for it, obviously. but yo, check out this magic word:

that seems to pretty obviously point out what he said as an impression, although I wouldn't jump to such a far conclusion either