don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. LevelSelect

LevelSelect

Aw, thanks Sega, eye-candy just in time for Valentines.
    Makes me think of this appropriate song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D7GVyTtH1M
    (both versions to hono(u)r the continuing Sonic CD story)

I think the screenshots are pretty snazzy and all, but now I feel the skepticism creeping in like last time.
    (I wonder if I can still manically air dash through these levels, too)

I shouldn't have looked at the screenshots, but hey hey what can I do?

2. Tanks

Tanks

Dunno' if its been said yet, but has anyone pointed out that they've basically given Sonic Fan Remix a nod with those backgrounds there? I know there's no real way to prove it, but when I see 3D backgrounds like that and then remember back to how SEGA removed Sonic Fan Remix to prevent it from interfering with S4E1... I dunno. Maybe its just a coincidence. Then again, SEGA wouldn't have given two shits to change up the art style (basing it on the idea that the music and physics were the primary gripes) if it weren't for something as threatening as a more visually pleasing Sonic game floating around out there...

3. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Of course, even Yuji Naka thought Sonic Fan Remix looked better and more professional than Episode 1.

4. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    If one thing can be said, it's that Sonic Fan Remix up the antie for Sega! I hope that's still going along just fine...

Anyway, the screenshots look AMAZING!!! If the gameplay really is improved then this is gonna be good, if they remaster Episode 1 in this style then we got some business! Seriously they should for consistancy reasons, maybe have the Episode 1 physics in as a cute little extra? :D

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Not just the backgrounds, look at the grass in the first level.

[​IMG]

6. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    You want to talk about art style? This is the most realistic 2D Sonic game yet, would you consider that desirable? The only thing in any of these screens that couldn't feasibly exist in reality is the Miracle Egg, and that isn't helping to distinguish the zones from one another. E1 has this beat for variety- we have two poorly tiled coniferous forests for backdrops, except one revolves around stone structures and the other is filled with wooden planks.

Are we sure a Wii port still isn't happening? Really looks like they had that platform in mind.

7. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Episode I is announced:

"The graphics look too plasticy! There's no way this could possibly exist in real life! CHANGE IT SEGA!"

Episode II is announced:

"Too realistic! THIS ISN'T SONIC ANYMORE!"

Sonic fans are the best. Say what you want about the physics, gameplay, whatever, but the graphics look fine. Gorgeous, even. Sonic has never been 100% cartoony or 100% realistic, with the exception of Sonic CD, the classic games all had graphics that maintained some degree of reality to them, especially Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The environments in that game were all incredibly realistic, with realistic forests, deserts, ice caps, etc. This is no different in art style to Sonic 3, really.

8. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    No, I think the Wii version was thrown out first. Frankly, the fact that the game now has 3D backgrounds leads me to believe that's the Wii may have actually been responsible for crippling the graphical style of Episode I with its paltry 40MB limit. Without that restriction, the game can flesh out some fidelity.

9. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Yes, I would actually consider that desirable. Why? Because it's something fresh and different in a 2D./2.5D. Sonic game, and I think it (visually) has been executed quite well.

The fact that a lot of what has been seen can exist feasibly in reality doesn't automatically put me off, and frankly I don't see why it should. Don't get me wrong, I really do like some of the surreal and unrealistic level tropes and graphics in other Sonic platformers, but that doesn't mean to say that much more realism-based levels and graphics won't work because they're not far enough from reality.

I'm fond of the realistic environments I've seen because they actually look fun to play, and are not realistic-looking in a boring sort of way.

As for "poorly tiled", again, I'm not seeing it. The tiling looks fine to me.

And as far as WiiWare is concerned, I think-- no, I'm almost positive that SEGA/Dimps/Whoever would have to seriously water down the graphical fidelity and quantity of objects in order to fit the game into the WiiWare's rather ridiculous file size constraints. I'm really glad that SEGA decided to drop the Wii for Episode II, because frankly it would have almost certainly hindered the game at least graphically, if not music wise too, for all platforms. Because being honest, we all know that the last thing SEGA would want to hear is Wii fans bitching that their WiiWare version of Sonic 4 Episode II is too watered down compared to the other platforms, so SEGA would also limit the amount of stuff put into all the other platforms in order to minimise the chances of people raging about platform bias.

10. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    A SEGA after my own heart <3. Thanks for finally listening.

I really hope they don't have Meow Mix Soundfont music, but after looking at these screens, I'm sure this'll have a better soundtrack too.

11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Perhaps there is inter-continuity among the stages? As in the Aqua Garden Zone transitioning to the Carnival Ice Cap Zone. Coupled with the idea of the Miracle Egg constantly being built in the background as you progress, it certainly would make sense.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So what does Ken say about all this? Is he raging and telling people to C&D showing off those pics or is this all justasplanned.jpg?

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^I believe I saw one C&D on the Sega board, but that could have been a joke seeing as how the topic is still open. Seems like a nice Valentines day gift so it could be intentional.

The way I see it is that this game looks closer to DKC returns then Sonic 4 Ep 1 (Before anyone goes batshit insane, I said "closer" not "This looks exactly like DKC returns"). This is not an issue really, but to have 4 levels of somewhat DKC returns, and environments that look like there 3D models, would probably result in a game over 40 MB. Last time they could just bastardize the music and get away with it. This time they're not letting the Wii drag the quality down for everyone else. Sega should be applauded for trying to deal with Nintendo's awful WiiWare system, but I salute them and their choice to retain quality.

I like this games art style. No, it's not Sonic CD's random environments or Knuckles Chaotix's random environments with the addition of pastel colors and jizz filters in the background. It's like Sonic Rivals or what Sonic 3 would be like if it was made today. I don't see how this is a problem. In fact, staying as far away from Chaotix art styles is a good thing to me (CD style is good, but I feel like it risks looking cheesy in 3D due to the blocky nature of the environments). I think they made the right choice here. Even this games rehash looks better then all of Sonic 4 Ep 1. It's even tricking people into thinking it's an original level (Some people believe the rehash environment is one we haven't seen yet. I don't know how you can't tell that it's not aquatic ruin but it is).

Oh and on a random note, Modern Metal Sonic's 3D model looks like some kinda evil c3po nightmare. Ugly shit.

14. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Yeah, if there's one thing that they're doing right so far is that the game is visually very appealing. The snow stage alone proves that Dimps are capable of making nice looking levels with variety and flare, considering it's just one stage and we're already seen Sonic running down snowy hills, racing across highways and carnivals all in one level is really cool.

15. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Not only are the graphics are a massive improvement, but the the environments look more interesting and the game actually has new ideas instead of being a complete utter rehash. At the same time, I have to wonder why didn't they just the engine from Sonic Generations. That game looked better, Classic Sonic played well, and it would have saved them a lot of time. Making an entirely new graphics and physics engine doesn't make any sense to me at all. Oh well. The online co-op excites me and it'll be fun to play as Tails again in a brand new Sonic game.

16. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I'm hoping that the co-op is actually decent, if pulled off correctly I can see co-op Sonic being really fun in concept. On the flip side, if they have to design levels with co-op in mind that opens the possibility that they're make more blocky, slow environments to accommodate two players playing simultaneously. That would not be ideal, but we'll see.

17. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    [​IMG]
    They're really not all that different from 2D zones we've had in the past. =P

Looks perfectly fine to me, man.

18. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Actually this game would be a lot easier to fit into Nintendo's 40mb limit. The way Sonic 4 Ep1 did the level art is fucking retarded and takes a shit-ton of file space. Doing everything using models takes half the file space because you don't have to have 150 recursive textures to do the level tiles.

Judging by the pictures it would be very doubtful any level in this game was even close to this, but the model format that they use for these games you can store 100,000 polygons in less than 4mb. The combined textures for any of those stages should be less than 6mb. So that would in fact actually make it have a lower file size than Episode 1 for each level.

19. Rokkan

Rokkan

I have to agree that, although I think that the graphical change to 3D is really much more welcome than the glossy mess that was Episode I, the environments on Episode II look really uninteresting, there's nothing that pops out too much on these or gives any sort of surreal feel of Sonic, except for Little Planet in the background. The rollercoaster level has just a dull looking rollercoaster and some lights as far as we can see. Episode I at least kinda tried, even though largely that was because of the wonderful rehashing all around.

EDIT: Oh no you didn't compare a surreal-ass futuristic city highway that was Stardust Speedway to a wooden rollercoaster.

20. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    And I also call bullshit on the claims that a Wii version would drag this down, considering there are WiiWare titles that look and sound absolutely fantastic (LostWinds and its sequel and Jett Rocket come to mind, both of which look gorgeous, and the music of LostWinds is of high quality) and have more content than either episode.