don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    To be fair, the running animation was pretty awful. I approve of the changes made here.

From what I can see in the screen shots, it looks like they've actually listened to fan feedback and they are going to try their best to please everyone with Episode II. Bubbles aside, if they have improved the physics and the game isn't botched to fuck, this might be enjoyable.

Only one thing I want to know about next is the music. If they've improved the art, they might as well have made a decent soundtrack for once. Let's see who worked on things this time...

2. MastaSys

MastaSys

So it's easy to assume, that the old stage Ken talked about, it's on Little Planet itself.
    Probabbly a Metal Death Egg Madness Zone.

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Or Aquatic Ruin.

4. Hey, it actually looks not-shitty! That's a relief. In fact the graphics are actually quite pretty. I can excuse the Bubbles chains if they're not overused like they were in episode I. I can't wait to see a video of this game in action. New physics would be great (although I'd probably still get it even if the physics aren't that great. Episode I wasn't a bad game, after all, but good physics would make it even better).

5. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I'm personally expecting Sonic Generations 3DS classic physics, with perhaps some further refinements.

6. dsrb

dsrb

They've said it'll have a new physics engine. A version of one and/or the other of the Generations engines is the most logical assumption. It's really pretty much a certainty by this point. The new engine surely can't be worse in any case.

7. Columind

Columind

Geistbox Member
    Music and Comics
    Speaking of that specific screenshot from Episode 2, I just noticed how far that blur extends behind Sonic while he's running downhill compared to the other screenshots when he's just running at a straight lane.

Sonic confirmed to possibly, finally be picking up momentum from running downhills?

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow this was unexpected. Quite pretty looking. Aquatic Ruin doesn't look as much homage as I thought, but admittedly I always loved both Marble Garden and Aquatic Ruin so I can't really object to its inclusion. If they had to rehash, they must have read my mind, because they couldn't have done better. I am curious about this snow level though. I can't tell if the ice water level is the same as that winter carnival. They're both snow themes (I do love snow themes), but they look really different. 2 snow themes in a 4 level game seems like overkill though, but then again Generations had 2 tropes used 7 times so it wouldn't be the first time. I like how they're picking level tropes that were ignored in Generations (Carnival, snow, desert, oil)

Now we all must remember something important. We may have seen a bubbles chain, but you know what we haven't seen yet? A speedbooster. Lord we can only hope we don't see one.

9. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Not!Aquatic Ruin looks real good. Dem colors, man.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Good job on spoiling Sega's marketting push yet AGAIN, Microsoft! I look forward to the Partnernet leak. =P

This actually looks really neat. Sonic looks a lot better, I love that the Tornado's making an appearance (the Miracle Planet being Death Egg'd, too), and if they've tweaked the physics to match (just stealing them wholesale from Sonic Advance 1 or Generations Classic would do), this is shaping up quite nicely, even if it's a bit short.

Still not buying it without a disc release, though.

11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    To reiterate, did anyone notice the Marble Garden Badnik 'Relief' (face in the wall with red dot on head and shoots arrows)?

12. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    To quote the Nostalgia Critic from his review of SatAM: "EFFORT! Honest to God EFFORT!"

Love these screenshots! Nothing actually feels cheap or unimaginative about them compared to Episode I, where with that game it felt like they weren't even willing to try. I mean, sure, I could compare these screens to Carnival Night or Ice Cap, but they really feel like they could be something new and interesting.

As for the Little Planet conversation going on, notice how it looks like the Death Egg is slowly being built over it as the game progresses (for example the mustache piece can be seen in one of the Winter Carnival Zone images). The intro with Sonic and Tails on the Tornado is a good sign that we'll be getting some action-based storytelling returning to this game. I can't believe it; Dimps actually learned something cool from Sonic 3.

Also, anyone else notice this? Look at all the screens with Badniks in them. See any crosshairs? Neither do I! :)

Well, this has fixed a lot of things for me (heck, even I expected there'd be four zones, anyway; any more would've been surprising), save for three last things: the bad physics, bad level design (over-saturation of boost pads and Bubble chains), and cheap-sounding MIDI music. But if all goes well, this has a shot at being the best Sonic game Dimps has ever made since the first Sonic Advance.
    Hahahaha! XD I suppose we're gonna call this thing the "69 Attack"?

13. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Shitty models, but at least Sonic and Tails can finally 69 each other.

14. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Wow, I mean wow, now thats more like what we should have got in the first place, proper 2.5D, not that really wierd "3d flattened to 2d characters on a semi sprite but not really sprite based level design" or whatever episode 1 was lol

Theses screens look great, I kinda hope if that can, to go back and re-release episode 1 to look like this, they look like 2 entirely different games now, it'll be hella hard to argue that they "planned" this change, this is pretty obvioulsy the reaction to the huge wave of hate or indifference towards part 1 XD

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Blue filter zone.

Sorry, I just don't understand the praise. The only reason this looks better than the first episode is because that game hardly seemed to try. Had its backgrounds and foregrounds been rendered in 3D it would look much better than this. Hardly even looks like a Sonic game, aside from the fact Sonic and Tails are in it.

16. MastaSys

MastaSys

Plot in Sonic is not the important part of it, but still nice to discuss.
    I was actually a bit afraid how they would tie Sonic CD to the main classic series as they were saying, converting Little Plannet to a new Death Egg(ish stuff) was a brilliant idea to do so.

It's somewhat nice saying that CD is part of the Death Egg Saga (CD+2+3&K) it's quite the package.

17. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Deviating a bit from the overall leak, but you know, I'd be just a little bit disappointed if they don't end up calling that Little Planet/Death Egg mish-mash "Egg Planet." Not only is it cool, but it's also a little "punny." =P

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Has the same awful bluish-bloom that Sonic Fan Remix has, but atleast it's more interesting to look at that Paper Cut Outs: The game.

Still though. Only 4 zones again? Looks like I'm waiting till there's more information on what else there is to do in the fucking game besides getting from A to B before I commit to spending a dime on it.

19. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Texas Tea Zone there actually looks interesting and novel! And while the new winter level and the ruins level aren't novel to the same extent they aren't simple rehashes. Color me impressed!

20. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is the deal with those socks on sticks? Is that, like, a thing?