don't click here

Sonic 1 prototype Video (FAKE)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Something tells me it might be real. Sega claimed that the beta ran at 60 fps, but I don't think there were any TVs or Sega Genesis systems back then that could actually run a game at a full 60 fps, hence why this build runs a lot slower than what Sega claims.

2. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    By the way, this is starting to bring back some lovely memories. lol

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=1457

Before the pictures went dead, they were based off of the same demo this hoax is trying to rip off. So I guess Eli White decided to turn Japanese.

betaas

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Why are we even discussing this? It is fake. Look at the grass, look at the quality of it, look at the physics, and look at Sonic's running sprite, it doesn't match his Sonic 1 sprite exactly and it looks more like someone tried to botch the S2 sprite.

Seriously people.

On a similar note, good fake though, can someone release it?

4. RACCAR

RACCAR

Dragon Team Member
    Madrid Spain
    Spiderhog, Sonic Ages, and Sonic Paradise
    I think it is fake, and not only that. I also think it was made based on the photo FuzzballFox posted before.

Why? Well, the original photograph was shot with a 1990 camera, in 1990, and printed in a magazine or something similar in 1990. Photograps didn't have the quality we have today, seeing a photograph in a magazine with the colours wrong was something very, very usual.

The original photograph washed the colours,who should be pretty similar to the ones in final Sonic 1. Whoever who has made that fake used the photograph's colours, not the original ones that this beta should have had.

5. Chibs

Chibs

the worst human on the fuckin' planet Member
    cool maury po

6. hwd45

hwd45

This looks fake; the many layers of parallax scrolling, the enhanced artwork and the weird sonic sprite all seem fake to me. I'd like for it to be real, but after 20 years of nobody having a Beta cartridge, this leaves me lots of room to believe that it's a fake.

But seriously, if it is real, I'd like to see it dumped. Perhaps there's some stuff we don't know about. I doubt there will be a cancelled zone in Sonic 1, but it would be awesome if there was.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I do think it was. It's one of the the first things I noticed when I saw that early screenshot.

8. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    This smells legit. The movement of Sonic fully remember me the Sonic of Sonic CD, but I counted the layers and it had exactly 7. Like Yuji said in the interview. If this isn't legit, it could be a hack made over Sonic CD.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Fake.

Sonic 2 running sprites, wrong "buildings", wrong clouds, etc.

10. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    Yeah, but... I thought Sega did what Nintendidn't. =P Still, that's uncanny.

On topic: The youtube comments are starting to come in, and a few of them are calling BS. I'm keeping my opinons to myself until Yuji Naka himself confirms the validity of this video.

11. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    All American, Japanese, Korean, and Taiwanese Mega Drives and televisions run at 60fps — "NTSC".

12. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    so obviously fake it's barely worth anyone speculating.

13. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

They don't look like S2's running sprites.

14. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Obviously that no. Sonic 2 sprites has different shading, different sprite size among other different details I didn't noticed in the video.

15. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Something seems off about the jump, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Also, as saxman said, the timing with the past thread. We're getting trolled people :P

16. Didn't Sonic shoes lack the white stripe in the beta? They are clearly on those ones in the video.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    http://info.sonicretro.org/images/7/7a/GHZ-WelcomeSign.png

I can see the stripe there

18. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Whatever it is it is interesting. Hopefullly the hack becomes available if it is a hack. Even just the short level would be nice to play.

19. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I rather doubt that's running on a Genesis; it certainly seems to be a hoax, keeping the speed and sprites in mind, and for a hoax video there's no point in a genuinely impressive technical feat on the Genesis. Modern PC can do this without breaking a sweat, after all!

20. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    It feels more floaty.