don't click here

Sonic Shift

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Cyberblade, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Cyberblade

Cyberblade

Can't catch me ya bastard! Member
    Ohio
    Sonic Shift
    As I said, I wouldn't hold my breath for a Chrimbo demo. School completely took over shortly after my previous post, and then after school I spent Christmas with my GF in England, so Shift sort of took a back seat to everything. However I don't think it will be too long before I have a proper demo ready now, as you can see I did manage to get several more things done before school took over my life.

Previous Todo:

Drowning
    Invincibility stars
    Monitors

Goal Post
    Badniks
    Enemy/Ring/Item placement GGZ
    Level Title Cards

I also made a huge framerate improvement in the game shortly after my last post as I tweaked a number of graphics settings on Sonic's rendering so the game runs much smoother now.

I'm currently working now on Crabmeat's code, and have two other badniks to create for the demo level. Buzzer will not be making an appearance, I've created a new Bee badnik concept for the game, but I'm a big fan of Crabmeat so I just really had to create him for the game. :v: He's not perfect, and I know that teeechnically his walking animation wouldn't actually work, but it looks good for what it is and every other animation I tried to make for it failed miserably. :specialed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'm looking for a musically inclined hand with Shift. I can draw, I can model, animate, program, design levels, and give Crabmeat googly eyes, but I can't create music to save my life. :v: Now I'm not begging for free music or anything like that, I can pay a little (but I'm a poor college student, don't expect a new car outta me. XD) If you want to work for free be my guest, but I'm not begging you to. You will be given credit and access to content before I post it here to help compose the tracks. I want someone capable of doing original work, but willing to do some remix-ing too, and able to pull off a Sonicy style. If you think you're qualified hit me up with a PM with some examples of your work and an idea of what sort of payment you'd want in exchange.

This offer here is on top of an extensive search I've been doing since my original artist choice unfortunately disappeared from the internet. :( I'll update this topic/post when I find someone for the position and follow up on Crabmeat and the other badniks.

2. snow toilet

snow toilet

I huff kitty litter Member
    Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    Reminds me of the good old days where the curves are real flat and jagged instead of smooth and rounded.
    If this is the style of the 3D models in this game then that's excellent.
    It's not very often you see a game with polygonal like graphics anymore at least that I know of.

3. Some Dude's Hand

Some Dude's Hand

Needs more loops... Member
    Empire City
    Getting my ideas off the paper and into the computer.
    I love the direction of Crabmeat, and I think the project is going very well. Good use of rectangles in Golden Gulch Zone. As for this Bee badnik, did you get the inspiration from this scrapped badnik?

4. Cyberblade

Cyberblade

Ohio
    Sonic Shift
    [quote name='snow toilet' timestamp='1327359313' post='658359']
    Reminds me of the good old days where the curves are real flat and jagged instead of smooth and rounded.
    If this is the style of the 3D models in this game then that's excellent.
    It's not very often you see a game with polygonal like graphics anymore at least that I know of.
    [/quote]

This is both out of a want for the style of the game to appear very retro, and out of necessity/laziness. I'm just one guy, if I ever hope to complete this project I can't aim for Generations level graphics. I do rather like the retro polygonal feel, so I'm glad It's appreciated.

[quote name='Some Dude's Hand' timestamp='1327361546' post='658363']
    I love the direction of Crabmeat, and I think the project is going very well. Good use of rectangles in Golden Gulch Zone. As for this Bee badnik, did you get the inspiration from this scrapped badnik?
    [/quote]

Nope. ^^ This bee badnik is a very different badnik to that one and is of my own design and inspiration. It's rather different to bee/wasp badniks of other games, so I felt it would make a better more unique badnik then to clone Buzzer/Buzz Bomber for the millionth time. I do like the idea of bridges going up in flames though, so I may consider that for another level later in the game.

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

If you want to make the game look even more retro, replace the eyes with sprites. (That would be a bit too much though.)

6. Cyberblade

Cyberblade

Ohio
    Sonic Shift
    Alright, I've found an artist to do the music for Golden Gulch Zone, Andy Tunstall, also known as Ristar on SFGHQ forums. You can check out some of his work here. His work is amazing and really worth checking out and he's agreed to make the song for the first level. I'm not sure what will happen as the game continues as he is quite a busy artist and is looking for more work, but I'd rather not put the weight of an entire project on him, or ask him to do a bunch of work for a project that may not see completion (As most fan games tend not to) So I'll deal with the music on a case by case basis.

Anyways, not to just advertise an awesome musician, I'll also give you a glimpse of some actual in game screenshots of GGZ Act 1. The layout is done, but I'm still working on enemy graphics and code so I've not placed anything but the item boxes in the level. Hoping for the first proper demo in the next couple of months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Hm, it looks very... Saturn-y. Tiles could use some more variation, as could the backgrounds, but it looks pretty good so far.

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I like the purposely artificial, Saturn-like look as it conceptually brings more of that fantasy-world feel to the table; it is an environment that I think Sonic fits better in personally. However, I do agree with Namo in that the tiles could use a bit more variation, as they seem very pattern-ish to me. Also, It seems like for some reason, that the 'tetris block like' objects don't visually mesh well with the established environment. Perhaps it's the oddly dark shadows they cast compared to everything else? Also, I feel that the background should be a pinch lighter, so that the contrast between it and the foreground isn't overly stark (as it is daytime). From the screen shots you've shown, I am very impressed so far, and I look forward to seeing the progress of this project.

9. Cyberblade

Cyberblade

Ohio
    Sonic Shift
    I am glad to hear that it has a Saturny feel in many ways. As I said about Crabmeat, I don't have the time or capabilities to produce something Generations level, on top of that Blenders game engine wouldn't like that very much. So in response I wanted to give the game very much a look and feel as if Sega had figured out the 2.5d Sonic concept in the 90's and continued the classic style then. Albeit I'm not trying to take a 100% classic Sonic presentation on the game either, but that's the sort of vibe I do want to give off.

I will take a look at breaking up the tiles a bit. The paths are shown entirely by just darker sections of checkerboard, and that is admittedly too little. I should work at a new path texture of some sort, and add some more ledge detail. As for the blocks, I tweaked their shaders a little the other day to make them better shaded, but I might have gone a little overboard, so I'll look back at those again to get them fitting back in again. Been wanting to add some more plants too, but I'm not quite sure what sort of plant to add whether or not some flowers or shrubbery would fit better. Any thoughts?

10. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I suggest more shrubbery and not flowers, due to the nature of the 'Wilderness' Level Trope that it seems to be using. Also, Andy Tunstall's music is looking like quite a nice fit for sonic Shift so far; I really like most of the tracks (I'm listening to it right now, actually)!

EDIT: Some of it is awesomely reminiscent of Saturn/Dreamcast Sega music (somewhat)!

11. snow toilet

snow toilet

Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    The shots look astounding.

I'm glad to see your not using the Sonic Jam/3D Blast SS model.
    When I read that the polygonal model look is what you're aiming for, that look of Sonic was the first thing that came to mind.

Looking forward to hear if Knuckles and/or Tails will be in.
    I'd like to see what you can come up with.

12. Cyberblade

Cyberblade

Ohio
    Sonic Shift
    The model is still the one seen in the early videos, however I have contemplated remaking it as there are parts of it I'm not that happy with and I want to give it a little more of my own flare that's missing because I used the orthographic artwork that's on the wiki as the base for building the model. No intention to use the the Jam or Racing models, I would rather have as much of this project being my own work as possible, thus why I built my own engine in Blender and didn't use something like Worlds or GDK.

Only Sonic will be playable. Knuckles and Tails are not planned for any gameplay or story right now, so I doubt they will be around, but if I come up with something that really works for them I'll consider it.

13. snow toilet

snow toilet

Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    I feel the same way but about a project of my own.
    As far as Sonic goes, will he have anything like the insta-shield or any kind of power-ups based on shields?

I forgot to mention this before but those bushes look too paper like.

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I don't really see this as a problem, as it appears to be simply just how the art style he is using works; it is intentional. Honestly, I think it works quite well so far.

15. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Suggestion: How about trying to mix the "papery" objects/scenery and the more 3D ones a lot? The Saturn-y feeling would be perfect then.