don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

Wait: I thought that the Retro engine was compatible with Mac OSX systems. What happened to this?

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    This. I was hoping for Mac support. I can still play PC, but it's more of a hassle considering my current set-up. I'm pretty disappointed by it.

3. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Buying it for Steam now.

Amazing how you can get an infinitely better Sonic game than Sonic 4 on Steam for just 5 bucks less.

4. That might be the case, but like The Taxman said, the PC port is a port of the XBox 360 port.

5. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Not going to lie, I am disappointed with this port. I don't know why but playing Sonic games on an emulator looks sharper than playing this game regardless of the graphical settings. I also have no idea why, but I cannot adjust the volume at all. I use my keyboard's volume settings to adjust the volume in games and this is the only game I've played where I cannot do that. As a result, the music is quieter than I'd like. While the music was well looped, the sound quality was in higher quality for the recent remaster so that was also disappointing. I also don't like the fact I don't earn a level select after beating it. On the plus note, I didn't experience any bugs, Sonic handles really damn well, and I really like playing the game in widescreen. Really impressive port overall, but just not as good as I hoped it would be. Haven't played as Tails yet so that should be fun.

Edit-

While this is unrelated to the job of the port, this game is a lot cheaper than I remembered. While Dimps mastered cheapness with bottomless pits, this game mastered cheapness with spikes and enemy placement. Seriously, this game has the cheapest spikes and enemy placement of any Sonic game I've ever played.

6. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    This shit finally finished downloading and it's not even playable on a Mac.

I just threw away 5 bucks for nothing, I feel like a complete retard.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    >Mac
    >Gaming

[​IMG]

Also, why the hell did you buy it? It shows it's Windows only.

8. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Yeah, seriously. Wouldn't it have made sense to check what OS the game supports considering how an overwhelming amount of games on Steam lack Mac versions?

9. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I'm new to Steam, I'm still figuring things out. I assumed since it was on the Steam Mac store it was available for play on Mac too.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Fear not laughing man. There are ways to play your PC vidya on your Mac. And if you do have access to a Windows PC, you can play it on there with your account. Make a back up copy with steam if you don't want to download it again, slap it on a flash drive and take it to the other computer. Open that shit up through Steam and you're playing vidya again.

11. Rokkan

Rokkan

SEGA still didn't give me my game code, nor did the soundtrack arrive. I'm getting worried.

I'm just gonna buy it right now and give the code to a friend of mine.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wait a sec, doesn't mac have an official windows emulation system or something? why not just use that to emulate WinXP then open up steam through there?

13. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Oh my god, those Special Stages are so fucking hard now.

Pretty much 1:1 this. Under the certain graphics settings this port (=/) offers for it's graphic presentation, it looks like it's laminated with vaseline or banana smears. I play this game widescreen up to 720p and it actually looks blurry. Maybe it's just the settings on my Radeon HD 5670, though...

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    For CD 2011 they are the easiest they've ever been for me. :v:

15. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I was used to how choppy they were in the Mega CD, now that they used actual 3D rotation at 60 full frames per second (so I've recalled), they move seemingly faster than I can catch them. I haven't played Sonic CD in years though, so perhaps maybe I've just lost the touch...?

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    [​IMG]

It's like I'm really playing a Japanese homebrew game.

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Taxman admitted that they don't move exactly the same as how they used to in the original due to the way he coded the special stages. They instead use a movement algorithm that tries to emulate it as close as possible. This is why some people feel things move a little differently.

18. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Try playing Sonic Advance 3 for 10 minutes.

And I have to say too that this is a dissapointing release. Not unplayable or anything, but it comes off as a hackjob. Blurry on several resolutions, choppy FMVs (can I still call them that?), and no proper controller support. How did this happen?

19. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    The choppy FMVs are done that way to sync with the music like it did on the Mega CD - at full framerate the timing isn't right.

20. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    US soundtracks were sent out weeks ago. That does sound like something to be worried about!

Still no code here, though. I like how I'm going to be the last to play this. EDIT: Actually, reading up, perhaps I won't bother playing this at all!