don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I find the logo consistent with Sonic 4's premise of putting the modern versions of the characters in a classic rehash, I don't know how anybody could have expected something different...

Just be thankful that we're not getting a third episode.
    [​IMG]
    + - First @ Retro   =P

2. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I'm getting some major deja vu here.

I don't see a huge problem here guys. I'm looking at what I expected to see in a logo. Tails looks delightful and Sonic still has that weird facial configuration that everybody hates. Maybe we should save the complaining for when we actually see the game?

I know Sonic 4 isn't looking like the paragon of originality, but we're jumping the gun. Again.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I just think that, ever since Colors, Sega has really learned how to use Sonic's model and actually make it look good, as opposed to stilted from what we've seen in Sonic 4. I'm not judging the game's merits on this, as I'm actually looking forward to see what the changes will be, but the logo itself is woefully lazy. They could have just touched it up in photoshop just a bit and made it look leagues better if they weren't willing to do a decent job posing Sonic. I have no qualms with Tails though, I think they pulled him off just fine.

Adding to Covarr's improvements, look how much better it looks just by adding some saturation and getting rid of that harsh shading underneath Sonic's bottom lip. Lighting is everything.

[​IMG]

Edit: of course I see all the little places I screwed up after uploading it. Oh well, I hope I get the point across.

4. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Hey bro, I'm %99 positive that Sonic's skin shouldn't be glowing, I'm not a full %100 sure about it though so don't quote me on that. Trust me. I'm a Tech Member.

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Radiation
    Global Warming
    Oh, hey, that was meant to be clever, sorry, my bad, where's my sarcasm hat, there it is

My point was, the actual logo has Sonic with some pretty clammy skin, and adding a little bit more vivid light would make the whole think look a little more lively, rather than looking like they settled for the default lighting option in Maya. Only so much I care to do with a mock-up in photoshop!

6. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I think the logo looks really generic and uninteresting, but oh well. I'll never really understand the direction they went with Sonic 4. It just seems rather half assed and relies way too much on nostalgia. Sure, Generations was about as nostalgic as it gets, but at least it pulled it off well and the levels weren't trying to pretend they were brand new levels. I just hope the gameplay and graphics are a lot better in episode 2. Also, Polygon Jim's logo from his sig > the official logos and Covarr's edit. :P

7. DNLeal

DNLeal

Former MMO addict Member
    Costa Rica
    Reading the archives...
    I'm not entirely bothered by the Logo to be honest and I like they're using the similar poses. I'm personally not building much hype myself but I'm not going to jump to a conclusion just because I'm seeing a logo, although I really do agree that mouth on Sonic does look weird ever since they used that model in the first one. Apart from everything else, yeah, it's a sonic logo, ok.

8. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I don't have a problem with the new logo, it's just, EURGH, his mouth is ugly. It looks like he's being forced to eat something. Surely someone at SEGA can see this. That above edit is much better.

I also think Tails needs to be slightly closer to Sonic, they're supposed to be coming out of the hole in the emblem, not rising out of the banner.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The only real issue I see with it is the mouth on Sonic, other than that it's a nice little homage to Sonic 2's logo. Y'all are digging way too much into the game on this, though.

10. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

Hm, I wonder, if there'll be an Episode 3, how are they going to blatantly copy Sonic 3's title screen? It doesn't follow the wing-tipped logo formula, so either they're going to get creative, or...

...that.

lol.

11. I love you guysssssssssssssssssssss

Seriously, I'm not angry or disgusted or anything by the logo. I'm annoyed that they're still doing the shitty marketing plan of "THIS GAME IS A THING AND TRUST IS ITS GONNA BE GREAT EVEN though WE HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW YOU OTHER THAN OFFICIAL FAN ART."

This is what Ken should say:

I'd be fine with that, instead we get "ZOMG GUYS GAMES GONNA BE TIGHT LEMME TELL YA ALL ABOUT IT EXCEPT I CAN'T SAY OR SHOW YOU MUCH ALSO LOL IN A WEEK SOME COMPANY IS DOING A KEYNOTE AT SOME SHOW AND THE WHOLE TIME THEY'RE GONNA FOCUS ON SAWNIK" and then NOTHING.

It's just really silly, the whole Sonic 4 concept has been really silly since inception. Maybe the "keep the fans in the dark" marketing worked for the first phase of Episode 1's marketing, but it just doesn't make sense to keep it going all the way into Episode 2. This is literally the official video game adaptation of Richard Kuta's Sonic the Hedgehog fan film.

12. It's not so much the logo itself that's bumming me out a little (It's a nice little nod to Sonic 2 and gets the job done despite the copy paste Sonic head going on), it's the fact that the logo doesn't scream "Sonic 4's" logo.

In Sonic 1, we got the finger wagging. In Sonic 2, we got the bad ass hit-the-road attitude. In Sonic 3/Knuckles, we got the 3D Sonic/crash landing from the final boss. Sonic 4? Just some homage that doesn't even get the pose right.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

How marketing should be done. I hate that they're ruining the build-up for this game by keeping the marketing consistent from episode 1, even though their approach is being panned left and right. If they didn't have anything to show, they shouldn't have made any announcement beyond what Kail came up with. Damage has been done, but hopefully they won't make it any worse with the next "big reveal." If the next trailer is like Episode 1's with 1.5 seconds of gameplay, I'm going to be thoroughly ticked off.

What's worse is that they're actually spending money on this marketing campaign.

14. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Whatever SEGA does next, it should be screen shots, or a fair amount of video gameplay in a trailer, with no "announcements" in between. We don't need them to make announcements of updates anymore (we never wanted it in the first place).

..kind of defeats the point of an update?

As for the logo, I don't want to jump to conclusions, so I'm giving SEGA the benefit of the doubt for now.

15. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    [​IMG]

Alright I took a try at fixing the smile. I hope Sega looks at it and realizes their mistake. This is so much better, trust me; I'm a Tech Member.

16. snow toilet

snow toilet

I huff kitty litter Member
    Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    Maybe they don't feel comfortable or are not ready to release more info than just an announcement telling us what to look forward to.
    Obviously, you just need to be a patient person following an announcement.

The new logo looks nice and is an excellent reminiscence of Sonic 2.

17. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    You missed the entire point. They don't need to continually "announce" things like a trailer with whatever content coming in x amount of days, and then give some silly riddle for it. They didn't do it with Colors, they didn't do it with Generations, and we didn't like it when they did it with Ep 1, so why would they do it with Sonic 4 Ep 2? It's not about patience, it's about not hyping up updates ridiculously. Just give us the updates when they're ready, and stop cockteasing it weeks in advance.

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    They need to stop giving Sonic the angrybrow, and maybe use the less plastic looking model that they used for the cover of Sonic Unleashed, Colors, Generations and Generations 3DS.

Not going to pretend like the logo is some godless abomination though, because it could've actually been bad.

19. upg

upg

[​IMG]

20. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    The sentiment is nice, but that's the most terrifying thing I've ever seen.