don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Honestly the main thing killing that kind of tools is the fact that you can't save anywhere. The best you can do is save to SRAM and use an emulator, which is cumbersome. Now, if you couple that with an Everdrive you get access to an SD card where you can load and save files, making such tools much more useful.

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I donno man, savestates work pretty well on my end.

3. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Having to constantly rip data off SRAM eventually gets annoying. Having to do the same from a savestate is even worse, since its structure is much more complex. I rather prefer tools that give me data ready to use - thereby what I said about using an Everdrive to store data into proper files, so no hacking needs to be done to get the data.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    Having to constantly rip data off SRAM is something that I've gotten used to, so there's no need to worry. Of course, I never said it was a problem, so there's absolutely no need to give unneeded advice, I did not request your knowledge into possible saving methods, should I need it I would ask in advance, thank you for your concern though =)

5. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    You can always put a little USB chip on the cartridge, along with some SRAM =P

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You could always try something like this...

One of my favorite portable games as a kid. :)

7. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    In other words, use an Everdrive, which is exactly that? (except with a SD card drive instead of an USB drive)

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You thought I was done with this hack, didn't you? Yeah so did I.

9. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    [​IMG]
    And this isn't a mockup. xP You'll see soon enough why I added 2 more digits once I code in the rest of the routine and make a video.

10. Blaxer

Blaxer

Sup? Member
    Earth
    Sonic Origins [Mini Hack]
    Mind as well show off something worth showing (but this time to everyone than just the admins) while I'm here:
    [​IMG]
    Still a W.I.P. at the moment as I am still thinking of some ideas on what to add to the first set of mountains at the bottom. C&C are welcome If any of you may have some suggestions.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    ...it's a bit too...repetitive? I should have more variation with the mountains, both closer and further.The cloudline looks odd, perhaps it should be something that stretches across the entire thing before repeating, Like Emerald Hill's cloudline (though it never repeated).

12. synchronizer

synchronizer

Also, you could vary the heights of those front-most palm trees, and stagger them. (One tree, no tree, one tree, etc.)

13. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Hmm... rather than the water have spots in it, perhaps lines a la the Sonic 1 title screen? Also an echo on the above two posts. But generally it's very nice, I dig.

14. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Here is my advice.
    You should vary the size of the "layers", to make a depth effect. Your background looks like it's flat because of that. Also, the waterfalls and the lake look kind of weird, like a second sky. You should remove them.

Here is a quick mockup to show you my point :
    [​IMG]

15. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Well I finally coded in what I was talking about previously in my post. Though I still need to fix the code a tad bit. :v: Here's a short video showing what it does, and I almost fully got rid of the extra digit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orAJR93ev2o&feature=youtu.be
    It's a hit counter. Everytime Sonic gets hurt this increases by 1, and once it reaches 9 you lose a life.

16. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Tha'ts pretty cool, RavenFreak! It would be a useful concept if you would make the game harder.
    How do you decrease the hit counter?

17. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Well I haven't gotten that far yet. xP I'm thinking about coding yet another monitor or something similar to decrease it. Right now, I'm going to finish up the code and fix a few things before I go farther. :) (Since for now it only works when you hit a badnik...) And I'm definitely aiming for a much more difficult game, since Ambil is doing the complete opposite, and people have stated that Sonic 2 SMS is too easy. :v: (In which it is, it's the GG version that is difficult IMO due to the smaller screen resolution. >.>)

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    So I made a splash screen for my game and thought I'd share it... well just because:

[​IMG]

I do get this feeling that something is missing though, so if anyone has an idea of what to add to it to say... beef it up a bit, then it's all welcome.

19. dsrb

dsrb

Oh, is it not about your namesake character any more? (Or do you have more than one game? :v:)

20. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    As I told you on IRC several times, give that secret code a meaning. "58" (decimal) just doesn't give me much of a clue.