don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I think the companies would rather make money. I don't know, I can't speak for them personally.

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I don't see the point of PartnerNET if Microsoft has final say about what goes up on Live and when.

3. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Yeah, I doubt it's leaked yet. Doesn't someone here on Retro have access to Partner.net or am I mistaken?

The only thing I really would like to know is if Dimps worked on Episode II.

4. dsrb

dsrb

Yeah. Everything about it screams bullshit at full volume. I'd say this about any supposed leak accompanied by so little information, but I suspect that anyone with the requisite hardware and credentials/hax to get onto PartnerNET has the resources to take a photo.

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I don't like this game, not one bit...but this is what we as a community have reduced them down to doing. Instead of waiting for one burst of information, we have a moving carrot in front of our faces that we just can't seem to catch. When was "Cryptic Clock" posted? If it was after Ken's hint of a poem, then that zone name is 100% BS and is making fun of Ken's "cryptic" words.

6. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Unless they're still thinking of releasing all the episodes as part of a package deal (which, with "Episode 3 may not happen, I don't see as all that viable), I don't see consistency as a valid excuse. The sort of people who didn't notice the physics of the original were off probably wouldn't notice it if you fixed them this time.

I'm not looking forward to the PR for this if it's going to be like Episode 1, where we see nothing but announcements and teasers for months, a reveal of the first zone, and then nothing except the first zone for months.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Cryptic Clock was posted before Balough's statement. But something about it seems fishy. No info other then the name so far, and they'd be down right stupid NOT to have fixed the physics. So I'm going to keep observing the coming info.

Until Sega says so or I see and pic and videos, I don't believe it.

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Why would they be downright stupid not to fix the physics? Ep1 sold fairly well the way it was.

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    That's from a financial point of view, rather than a critical point of view.

I guess it's up to SEGA if they're content with throwing out an average product again, or going beyond that.

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Exactly. 1) Sonic Team has modified their 2D Modern engine into something very similar to the Classic physics for HD consoles. 2) The Classic engine Dimps made for the 3DS version feels even more accurate than (modern day) Sonic Team's. 3) There's also the Retro engine, which SEGA's already paid to utilize once.

If Episode II followed in its predecessor's footsteps to a T, then SEGA and Dimps would pretty much be undoing like 2-3 years worth of work.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I have a hunch they're going to change things around with this release as far as strategy goes. It'll most likely be cheaper and it'll probably have improved physics (The cost is coming off of the recent Sonic CD port which is only $5. A full game with extras, rebuilt entirely from scratch, should not cost more then part of a game, even if it is "new"). The art style though I'm honestly not sure.

One good thing though is that if Tails is playable in this game, expect a lot less homing attack chains in stupid places since otherwise Tails would get hit a lot in scripted events.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    That's the point I'm making. Who cares if the critics don't like it? If it sells, it sells.

13. Kilometers Prower

Kilometers Prower

no mater wot medoner ses Oldbie
    USA
    So there's a guy in the comments section of that SEGAbits article claiming he got a PM from Ken calling bullshit on the Cryptic Clock stuff (Or at least that it's the first level of the game). Don't know how true it is or anything. I certainly hope that's true, all of this stuff sounded like bullshit from the beginning.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's more just their recent string of games that's made me suspicious. Sonic Generations 3DS has a more accurate classic engine then Sonic 4 did, and that was also made by DIMPS. Why build off an earlier build of likely the same source (Sonic Rush). DIMPS and Sonic Team have made progress in refining the classic gameplay to make them closer to the original.

And it may have sold the first time because of the whole "OMG ITS SONIC 4" thing tied around it, but can it do it again after reception from the first? Unless they turn things around I can't imagine they could. OMG SONIC 4 excitingness died off the first time they heard some dying kittens in the background and were hit by a bubbles because they uncurled off a ramp.

15. ezodagrom

ezodagrom

Usually unreleased games are listed as version 0, games that were just released are listed as version 1, and higher versions are patches for the game.
    For example Sonic Generations, before being released it was listed as version 0, when it was released it was listed as version 1, and with each new patch the version number increased. Right now Generations is listed as version 4 (game is in the version 1.0.0.4) and it also has version 6 listed as the beta version (most likely a patch that is being tested).

In the case of Sonic 4 Episode 1, maybe it was patched before being released, and so it's listed as version 2? For it to be listed as version 2 instead of version 0, there's the possibility that it could be close to be released.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I was never hit by a Bubbles :colbert:

I get what you're saying. I just don't have faith that the Sega hats responsible for green-lighting Sonic 4 (and thus, Ep 2) will see the need to do much about the problems from Ep 1. It could swing either way though, we'll just have to wait and see.

17. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

http://segabits.com/blog/2011/12/21/rumor-sonic-4-episode-2-to-feature-tails-and-metal-sonic/

A-Are they retarded? EDIT: Didn't see the "Rumor" at the top.

This cannot be real at all. As far as I know, why would they ever, EVER, upload an unfinished product on Partner.net? Even Sonic 4: Episode I was finished when it was uploaded.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsWp7xj6xFg&feature=related

Ignore the crappy audio, but watch it and you'll get the point

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I thought PartnetNET was for beta testing?

EDIT@DarkSonic: Lol dude I got you. I know it happens already :v:

20. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Sonic 2K6 sold enough to make it into Xbox 360's Platinum Hits line. Despite this, it was an utter travesty of a game (almost objectively so) and put such an indelible black mark on the Sonic series' reputation that it took nearly 4 years for people to start saying "y'know, he's actually kinda good again" with Colors - and even then, he still kind of has more detractors than proponents.

While Sonic 4 was no 2K6, the issues involved are well-documented enough that I think Sega would be wise to avoid as much bad publicity as they can by fixing what's obviously broken. Things like "bland" level design are subjective (your mileage will vary - I kind of liked Episode 1's levels, to be frank). Things like stop-dead in mid-air are not (especially since most all momentum-based movement systems do not feature this quirk, making it obvious to even people who aren't intimate with Sonic physics).