don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. 2B and 4B are my personal favourites, the lime green pops too much and would be an eye-sore too look at.

Anything dark really, the original copper looks good anyway.

2. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I'm still fond of the amber color. I'd go with 1a or 5a.

3. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Rusted Copper is still classy as fuck. 1a.

4. Nova

Nova

I think I like 2a the best, though the Rusted Copper homage is still very nice. As long as the finished product isn't like 4a or 5b, that menu's looking superb!

5. Kampfer

Kampfer

I like 1b, 2a, or 4b, but any of the 1's or 2's look fine. I really don't like 4a, 5a, or 5b. The 3's I could take or leave (green is an odd color for a Sonic stage select).

6. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    You know, I just realized this: since the backgrounds are essentially palette swaps of one another, and since it will use a different palette line anyway, I could make it configurable. I just need to select a default background, include several (all) of the others as alternates and let people chose which they prefer -- saving it to SRAM.

7. dsrb

dsrb

I like the second, third, and fourth ones on the right, although the background design of the latter might be a bit too colourful and hence clashing. In any case, the desaturated versions definitely win.

Very interesting backstory about the hack there! I think it's fair to assume you had a pretty good technical background, lack of Sonic-specific experience notwithstanding?

8. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I haven't been on this thread in a couple of days.

Firstly, I love the tabbed level select, as everyone else has said, it makes everything seem more appealing, less cluttered and the rounded edges are beautiful.

Secondly, I would say 1a, 1b or 2a for the colour selection.

If you could, as you say, do an customisable colour scheme and let players choose, that would be awesome. I love customisation of menus.

9. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I'm gonna say 1a because it's got the most contrast. Shit's hard as hell to read when you've got white text on a light background.

That being said, if you could find some way around this problem, I'd love 4a. The bright colors are nice looking on their own, just hard to read.

10. I'm going to say 5b. I prefer the board being in colour and the washed out look gives the screen enough contrast to pick out the on screen elements easily.

11. Blaxer

Blaxer

Sup? Member
    Earth
    Sonic Origins [Mini Hack]
    I just happened to look and I gotta say I like alot of them, but if I had to choose one, I'd say you should go with 2a. to me the bg color fits with the menu very well. that and the border for the menu goes great together IMO.

12. flamewing

flamewing

France
    You can assume that, yeah -- I have about 20 years of programming experience, a few years of experience in disassembling stuff and a masters degree in Physics. I am also going back to college to take Computer Science next year as I decided I like that better.

13. dsrb

dsrb

Haha, it was kinda obvious! Sounds like a good plan, hope that goes well. :)

14. Since no-ones really brought it up in past posts (been scouring the forums since page thirty-odd on this particular thread) What position is S3&K Heroes at, will it be partnered up in this thread or have it's own? You've had it on hold for a good while, would love to know about where it stands now.

15. flamewing

flamewing

France
    S3&K: Heroes is on-hold; I plan to work on it, but I am not having the time to work on it. Making plans as to whether or not it should have a thread of its own is far too premature.

16. flamewing

flamewing

France
    NOTE: THIS IS NOT BEING RELEASED YET! THIS IS JUST A PREVIEW VIDEO!
    Sorry for the double-post, but I have something to whet your appetites:

When it was first suggested, I immediately PM'ed ColinC10 and suggested the collaboration; he went for it. By which I mean we shared our source codes with one another and I integrated the hacks together. We both agreed that it would be kept under wraps until it was as good as Sonic 2: Heroes was at the time.

Due to time issues (namely, lack of much free time) and a few design decisions that ColinC10 had made on Sonic 1 and 2 which conflicted with some in Sonic 2: Heroes (for example, he used both the Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 sound drivers at the appropriate portions of the game), I had to rework a lot of things. For example, I learned about z80 assembly, learned all about the sound drivers used in Sonic games, and hacked a new version of the Sonic 2 sound driver, my SMPS2ASM tool and its driver, just so I did not have to do that -- as it would rob me of essential RAM I need, and because the Sonic 1 driver runs on the 68k, meaning it was bound to generate additional lag with 3 characters. There are lots of other things that caused delays, but that gives an idea.

tl;dr, this caused a delay on me finishing Sonic 1 and 2: Heroes.

I am probably keep it as "Sonic 2: Heroes", though; unless I can find a way to add the "1 and 2" to the title screen. People are free to try their hands, and get a nod in credits if they manage it to my satisfaction :eng101:

Anyway: I still need to code save games, the new menu/options screen, Team Hyper and Team Mini, and fix a few bugs. If all goes well in terms of time, I may release it in January or February.

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I reckon a whole new name would work better, really. Sonic 1 & 2: Heroes is kind of cumbersome. How about Sonic Classic Heroes or something?

18. dsrb

dsrb

No one will believe me, but I actually remembered this suggestion earlier on and thought of asking about it! Thought it was a bit outlandish to expect, but I should never have doubted you guys. :P

19. Man do you guys put up a good front! Looks awesome too see it!

EDIT: Brace yourselves, The sprite artists are coming-- Here's my attempt.
    [​IMG]
    Doing what I did got rid of the whites in some areas, I can go over it but I don't know if it's in your own interest, or someone else right now is making one better.

20. flamewing

flamewing

France
    The cumbersomeness of the name is one of the reasons I was thinking of keeping the name. I also though of using something like 'Sonic Genesis: Heroes'.

I think that getting rid of the shine in the '1 and 2' would work better. The main problem here is vertical space; but yours could work. The 'and' is too high up, however, and seems out of place. Maybe an ampersand would work better.