don't click here

Genesis/Megadrive to USB

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Fred Wood, Dec 13, 2011.

1. I've been holding off on doing this for a while, but I want to build my dream machine. I want to build a computer with all sorts of emulators, and have the original controllers for each one. I've got NES to USB, I've got SNES to USB, but I can't seem to find a reasonably priced Megadrive/Genesis to USB solution online.

Anyone out there with the knowhow or the knowwhere?

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    This?

It annoys me the adapter is more expensive than the controller itself, but that seems to be true for all the other adapters they have =| And the SNES adapter seems to be almost twice as expensive o_o;

3. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    That's the pad. The adapter is actually only a dollar more expensive (and, since it's presently on sale, $3 cheaper).

4. dsrb

dsrb

Might the higher (than I expected) price be due to its being marketed as Genesis-specific? That type of 9-pin DIN is by no means proprietary, so it may be that you could find the same thing cheaper from some other source selling it a generic adaptor. (Of course, I'm probably wrong)

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The problem is that the Mega Drive and USB protocols are completely incompatible with each other, period. In order to make such an adapter work you need to slap a microcontroller that behaves like an USB device and takes its input from the MD port. That's from where the high price comes, you're literally buying a whole new device, not just an adapter.

If you can go the LPT route then try that because that's much cheaper, since that's truly just an adapter (rewiring, no microcontroller in the way). It needs custom drivers though.

6. Well...there's always this...

It plays Genesis/Super Nintendo games, with their original controllers via the original ports, and lets you play the games via a computer emulator through the actual cartridge. You can even make backups of your data and save to the cartridge!!

7. I've got this and then this as well, and it all works great! It's also a cheaper solution than buying one of the USB converters for any controller, as this allows pretty much anything from RetroUSB.

Hope that helps!

8. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    Out of need for a decent PC gamepad several years ago, I built a Playstation controller adapter out of spare parts and never looked back. I was even able to get the DPadPro drivers working in Windows 7, though my primary system still runs XP. A Genesis adapter is even easier to build. All you need is a DB25 connector, some diodes, and moderate skill with a soldering iron. Cost in parts is probably around $15 maximum.

Of course this all assumes your dream machine has a parallel port or that you're not limited to USB input for any other reason. Just putting it out there.

9. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Use ParallelPortJoystick instead of DpadPro for MD stuff. DpadPro adapter is unnecesairly complex and does not work well with 6 button controllers.

10. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    So, if you like soldering and such, you can do what I did:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I can't even tell what you did. What did you do?

12. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    [​IMG]
    is a Saturn controller ok?

13. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    That's a playstation 1 PCB mounted onto the back of a Genesis controller, with all the connections you'd need soldered. A PSone compatible cable comes out, and either a real PS1/2 or a USB adapter can be used with it.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I suspected it was something like that. That's pretty awesome bro. Might just do something like that myself.

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I have one of these, and in my experience, it does not work properly with several games, including all the Sonic PC games; the d-pad gets treated as both a d-pad and the trigger buttons, and the trigger buttons get treated as UDLR buttons. I have to assign actions to the d-pad to get them to work on the trigger buttons. It works with emulators, JoyToKey and WindowsZone though.

16. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I actually own one of the original 1994 limited edition Sega authorized controllers. I got it on eBay for $12, and thought they were just very common. I regret using it now, seeing only knockoffs available and the official one going for hundreds, which I can't even find a single one listed at the moment.

17. This is a really roundabout way, but I think it could work for me, as long as it's accurate and has a good response time. Have you tried different genesis pads? 3-button, 6-button, etc?

18. Actually.... no. I agree it's really roundabout, but the response time is spot on, I haven't noticed any delay at all, even when using programs like Joy2Key or Xpadder for fan games. From what I read, 6 button controllers for Genesis don't work, but if I can find where my old ones are, I can check for you.

EDIT: Yeah, no luck I'm afraid. It works, but Mode, X, Y, Z don't respond. Strangely enough, the switch to change the speed from Normal to Slow actually serves as a button or something. But this works, so you know.

19. Flygon

Flygon

The Slow switch just alternates the Start button as fast as the controller can perform when flicked on.

20. Awesome, I have that. :D

But boo. I want to make sure whatever solution I get also has six button input. I may have to go with the RetroUSB adapter. But it's so effing expensive.

edit: If anyone's looking for an SNES one, I recommend this. It's two ports and cheap as hell. I have one and it works wonderfully.