don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Of course I have thought about this. That's why Knuckles can't even get to this part; he is forced to go his own route that separates a bit earlier. The area Event Knuckles comes from is aesthetic due to this.

Trust me when I say this; creating a path split so that only Knuckles goes one way and Sonic and Tails (God damn you and your flying) go the other is a royal pain in any circumstance but I have been able to create a few that work.

2. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    So, about a month ago I started a homebrew project, then abandoned it, and continued it again today. The name is Snake MD (original, I know), and here is a screenshot, demonstrating that going through walls works like a dream:

[​IMG]

Primitive? Certainly. But for my first ever homebrew game (not to mention that it's working fluently and is actually playable/challenging), I'm more than proud of this. Any art on this screenshot also only acts as a placeholder (with the possible exception of the border).

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I think you can do better, mainly because I've see how amazing your flying Battery and Mable Garden layout is. The issue to me is it just mostly seems a straight forward horizontal run through and linear. You could do with coming back on yourself like you do in launch base zone. I understand if that would be a bit difficult to do because Icecap zone is a bit of a bland level but I trust you to do great job. When this game is finished it definitely deserves the Green Hill trophy based on your other videos. The only other hack I can think of that has this kind of treatment to level design is Sonic 1 Westside Island which I've played no end of times because the level designs are really good fun (except the bosses). If that was your work D.A. you did a bloody good job.

4. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Westside Island was indeed made by myself a few years ago, so thanks for that.

...and someone finally noticed. I myself have been slowly (without notice) letting my layouts become more linear as I focus more on alternate paths.
    I sort of noticed this a while back but dismissed it. Now someone has mentioned it, I feel I have to agree. You are also right about the level going back on itself; the original S3K did this numerous times to make the levels feel longer and I seem to forget that. Thanks.

5. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I remember playing this when it was just a gray background with the 'Snake' being Sonic 1's font, lol

Looking forward to seeing it progress further.

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It's not all bad I will have to say. The first 18 seconds is really well laid out it just that it goes downhill from there. You do a great job but I get the impression that you are losing interest in it so all I'm going to say is don't give up on this one and put in all the love into the detail as much as possible. This is one of the few hack I'm really hyped for because of the other zones excellent level design.

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Bravo young man, bravo, I'm rather pleased to see homebrew work, no matter how "Primitive" it may be, the important thing here is that it looks clean and bugless.

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    D.A Garden: Personally, I think a few linear levels in there wouldn't hurt so much, as long as there's a good variety. Hell, keep Ice Cap as it is to vary the tempo somewhat. I find this to actually be one of the things about S3K I dislike, after being spoilt by the near-perfect variety of the first two games. The tempo in S3K is so damn even sometimes. You're doing well, keep it up.

Selbi: Chalk me up as one person who really wants to play SnakeMD. Throw in multiplayer (and possibly AI opponents) and you've got a winner there. ;)

9. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Would be possible, I just don't see how multiplayer in a Snake game would work. :v:

10. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    A simple race-to-get-the-collectible would work really well, I feel. The player with the highest score also has the longest snake, sorta balancing it a bit.

Or else, no collectibles and the snakes slowly get longer. Aim is merely to get the opponent to crash -- Snake isn't too far from being a single player Tron Light-Cycles anyway, so it kinda writes itself.

11. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Ever played the nibbles game in Fast Tracker II? That may give you some ideas. Though please don't put the score in hex x_x;

And yes, I've reached the "THE END" level there.

12. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    For a second I actually had to think about what the hell Fast Tracker II was. That should answer your question about me ever playing it. I could look into it though.

As for the score, it's a placeholder right now anyway, hence the huge free space in the info bar on the bottom. I want that with each piece of you collect, effectively increasing the difficulty for each piece, you get more points per food.

13. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Just ask Oerg =P

EDIT: meh http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Fast+Tracker+II

14. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Spoiler ;)

[​IMG]

15. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Good work on the Knuckles cutscene. Trying to do anything with those is a real pain!

16. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    How would you know that, Colin? *furrows brow* Are you telling us we can expect some Sonic 3K goodness from you next contest?

17. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Does the pope shit in the woods?

18. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    I was referring to Sonic 3 & Knuckles: The Challenges... :rolleyes:

19. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    With special thanks to Marc for providing me with Mega-Mouse software I was about to make this:

[​IMG]

Not that anyone will be (or would have a reason to be) using it, but eh, thought I'd share because it's mildly amusing =P

20. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    Hey I like it! I'm really looking forward it, I will wait until you give more info about your program.