don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Chibs

Chibs

the worst human on the fuckin' planet Member
    What does that have to do with anything.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well first off there is no classic Cream. At the same time, the Chaotix were rebooted essentially, so the old Chaotix don't really apply anymore.

If you want to even try and make some sense of continuity in this series, you have got to ignore some of the "mistakes" that have been made.

3. MastaSys

MastaSys

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's just an odd conflict in design, if younger Sonic, Tails and Eggman characters look so different, but Charmy and Cream still have the same design characteristics as the rest of the older/Modern cast even though they're only 6. I can't get on board with the idea that Classic=Younger. It seems much more plausible to me that in a fictional series where the characters went under a design change and where age is never mentioned, even at the main character's birthday party, that we've just got representations of past and present rather than young and old. Also isn't Sonic 4 supposed to be set almost immediately after S3K? It's like they're acknowledging the Classic designs for the sake of the audience and not because any ageing has specifically taken place.

5. Chibs

Chibs

the worst human on the fuckin' planet Member
    oh no my canon

6. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Can't we just leave it at "classic characters are younger versions, Modern are 'present' versions" as is CLEARY intended in this plot and call it a day? Sheesh, I LOVE Sonic Story discussion but this is ridiculous.

7. I don't think anybody's debating that the classic forms are older versions and the modern forms are newer versions - I think the debate here is whether or not that's an element of canon or simply a design choice to help differentiate the two. Did Sonic really canonically change his look so radically in the space of a year (since he's 15 in all the games) from Classic to Modern, or is the visual difference purely for the player to help tell them apart?

8. Spitfire

Spitfire

lol, sonic Oldbie
    New Jersey
    aint got shit.
    I can see this sort of debating over designs, meaning, and cannon as the exact reason why they were so hesitant to ever use the classic design again in the first place.

9. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

Rabbits and Bees probably get their iris color in earlier or something.

There, I put a band-aid on it.

10. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    I'm curious about this... You know the point in Classic Crisis City where you can see the fragment of building with the end-of-act signpost on it, but it gets dragged away by the wind? Can you reach the signpost before it gets moved if you're fast enough?

11. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Yeah, if you do a spindash, but it does nothing, and it gets dragged away anyway.

12. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Ah, okay, thanks.

13. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Wow. That glitch is even weirder than some other glitch I experienced on Speed Highway. [LINK] [LINK] [LINK]

14. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Cream thinks he may have had his spines trimmed, Knuckles thinks he might've put on weight. Everyone else in the game either just mentions that he looks younger or doesn't notice the difference at all, including Tails.

Sheesh guys, the Classic and Generic looks are still two designs for the exact same character and are used to represent Past and Modern Sonic with the accompanying looks and mannerisms for the sake of the audience. Rule of Perception everybody.

15. Vangar

Vangar

So the 3DS version is coming out soon, are you guys getting excited for it now too?!

16. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    As for the old vs. new bickering, my own viewpoint is that they brought back Classic Sonic for this game, and perhaps this game only.

I'd love for it to not be that way, but the issue is the most 'classic' game series that we know of being released in the future is yet more Sonic 4, which seems to just star a midget-ized Modern Sonic instead.

So where does that leave us? The other team is most likely working on another "Modern" game, so the only possibility of a true "Classic" Sonic game would be this team working on it—which would be bizarre because that'd mean a full X360/PS3 (or even on whatever consoles come next, if that happens) Classic game. That'd be awesome but they're likely to just go "Bluh bluh bluh sales bluh" and dismiss such an idea, so...

Yeah. Unless there's something I'm missing, all the weird little canon holes aren't of much meaning. Seemingly Classic stuff will stay in the past unless something odd happens.

17. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I'm almost sure they'll have a Classic Sonic model option patch for Episode 1. This is especially the case for Episode 2, which I think may actually be good, seeing the effort they put into Generations.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Better add unrolling into the picture if they do that.

I wonder if Episode 2 is going to have the additions that were added to the engine in Generations 3DS

19. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I am pretty sure that Modern Super Sonic's flying boost is exploitable. Seems to launch you a few feet off the ground and not follow slopes- you could probably make some killer shortcuts if you got 50 rings, made for high ground, and used the flying boost to just skim over chunks of the stage.

(related note: I am sorely tempted to see if I can disable Modern Super Sonic's ring consumption during the flying boost, just to see how hilariously broken it'd be if you could do that for several minutes at a time)

20. To be honest, I can certainly imagine SEGA switching the characters to the classic models for episode 2 with an option of choosing the new models, and then releasing an updated build of Episode 1 with the classic models available, for consistencies sake. After all, it's not like Nintendo, Apple etc don't release updated builds of old apps in this day and age anyway, so a little bit of effort thrown in there would be fantastic.