don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Steam won't let me play Sonic Generations. Something about it being unavailable. Is anyone getting this?

Edit: I just noticed the exe is missing...

2. Chibs

Chibs

the worst human on the fuckin' planet Member
    Right click it in the library and verify your game cache, it should redownload anything that's missing.

3. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    I've got 49/50 achievements, the only thing left being Time Attack for all levels... S-Ranked every act, every challenge, every boss (normal and hard), all red rings, yadda yadda yadda.

- I kinda wish they had included even more concept art and in-house sketches... maybe stuff from other games like Chaotix, R, 3D Blast, Riders, the Advance series, SegaSonic, Fighters... I'd like to have seen more Sonic 2/3/&K stuff, Adventure sketches... I loved some of the SA2 and Heroes character sketches.

- Disappointed they hadn't done any sort of celebration timeline; flashbacks to Sonic Jam, the 10th anniversary hype (around the time of SA2?), Mega Collection. I loved how Sonic Jam had all kinds of tertiary stuff in its museum, like the influence Sonic has had in society (Sega sponsored that soccer team, the Sonic balloon in Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, etc etc). I wanted to see more commercials/advertisements for the other games too :D

- some of the music from the newer games (post-Heroes) was a surprise, because I realized I never touched: Secret Rings, Black Knight, 2006, and I can't stomach Unleashed enough to get past the second level...

all in all, I enjoyed the game, despite a handful of really irritating bits and pieces (certain challenges, the buggy controls, sketchy collision detection and platforming). They did a fantastic job rebuilding old levels (I STILL want to go through Sky Sanctuary Act 2 and scour every square inch <3 ), the music was amazing, and most importantly the spirit of what I remember as "Sonic" when I was a little kid was still there.

NOW IF THEY WOULD JUST RE-RELEASE COLORS FOR 360 (and for you PS3 people), I'd BE ALL SET.

EDIT: also, in retrospect, I guess I really enjoyed the Adventure games and Heroes more than I thought. I found myself reminiscing about them as I went through their representative stages and although they weren't technically what I wanted "my Sonic" to be, I think back and realize I had a lot of fun with them regardless. I shouldn't act as bitter toward the newer generations of the series, the blue bastard will still be my favorite :P

4. Falk

Falk

I'm hearing IT'S NO UUUUSE in my head. Is this fatal?

5. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    HOLY SHIT guys.

Topic I made on the SEGA Forums on this matter.

Sonic Generations is pretty much a direct sequel to Sonic '06

(I made this image, btw. sorry for MSPaint quality.)

Also, quote from the SEGA forums on this topic:

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I got mine the day after EU release - might be something to do with external-to-EU shipping.

7. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Reminds me of that one post I made on an old thread, asking who the Time Eater was. I said Solaris.

Apparently I'm not wrong :P

8. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o42Et0gyUI[/youtube]

looks a lot like 4:43 in this video
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MWEHwvcnyM[/youtube]

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Perhaps it's Generations way of showing that somewhere in that code is a small remnant of Sonic 06.

It's nostalgia. Wrong level I suppose, but it is beach like.

10. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    >Get November Game Informer issue
    >Skim reviews
    >Sonic Generations: 6.75
    >Skylanders - Spyro's Adventure: 8

What.

Ok, I know Game Informer tends to give shit reviews most of the time, but seriously, putting Skylander, a game that's practically driven by extra shit you have to buy in toy stores, over Sonic Generations?!

Oh, and apparently the replayability factor's moderately low. Bullshit, I have fun just zipping through my favorite stages using whatever music I can combine it with.

11. Wait. Classic characters in this are from between Sonic 1 and 2? Really? I was getting post-Sonic 3 & Knuckles but pre- Sonic 4 vibes from the whole thing.

Hence
    "No one calls me that anymore!", "Pretty soon it'll be YOUR plan."
    etc. ..?

Also can anyone give me any tips on how to kick Time Eater's ass without being hit ? The laser always hits me in the face and it's the only trophy I've still got to get.

12. Tyty

Tyty

KNUXEDO KAMEN Member
    ↑ & ↓ & ↻
    He always shoots the laser after freezing time the first time, so switch to 2D and he won't hit you.

13. I think that poster might have been confused due to there not being Classic Knuckles, Amy, etc. I got the impression, too, that it was post-S3&K from C. Sonic's end.

14. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Classic Eggman at least was pretty much implied to be end-of-Sonic-2-Eggman, though, wasn't he? :v:

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    So today I had the chance to play the full game for the first time. Until now, my only playing experience was through the PS3 demo and oh my Reece's, this game is phenomenal. This is now my favorite 3D Sonic. Everything I had issues with when it came to Colors has been fixed and polished to a gleam. Aesthetically, Modern Seaside Hill is exactly what I want future Sonic games to look like. Everything just works, and I'll be honest, I had a much more fun time with Modern Sonic than Classic.

My biggest issue is the story. I don't mind a bare bones story, but when cutscenes take place, I at least expect them to forward the plot! here, the dialogue-based cutscenes offer nothing at all. Cutscenes that do work however, are the pre-boss/rival cutscenes with no dialogue; it just creates an establishing point that shows what's going on and shows off how cool Sonic is when he acts and keeps his mouth shut. the Shadow and Silver cutscenes are perfect examples of this.

And I may be in the minority in this, but I think it's time to cut the slapstick humor after Generations. I like the more light-hearted style they're going for lately, and I think the premise surrounding the game could have been good, but the dialogue and the go-nowhere cutscenes damaged it for me. I think Sonic Team should attempt to go for a more in-depth plot, but not a serious one, per-se. I don't know, just looking at how Mario Galaxy took their bare-bones plot and approached in with sincerity, but not seriousness would be my ideal concept for a Sonic story in the future.

Graphics are phenomenal, and the animations are top notch, Sonic looks fantastic and I love how he's portrayed in his movements, both as classic and modern. One thing I miss though is the super high-contrast lighting from Unleashed. I loved how everything was basked in light and shadow in that game, it brings my view of this game's look down ever so slightly.

16. I agree, this game is really great. It's just that the main story is so short.

17. Innocence

Innocence

(ノ-_-)ノ Member
    Has anyone experienced this glitch before? It happened to me after I spindashed using the pink wisp near the end of the level.
    [​IMG]

Was a little upset that I had to get the red rings again, but bleh..

18. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-bWNI7s1yE

About time someone figured this out.

19. Matlee

Matlee

What the frag?! Member
    UK
    Hella yeah, That's how I allways imagined 3d sonic to play, obviously with a lot more freedom. That and using the dpad for 2d game play and analogue controls for 3d game play naturally. Another thing, is it just me, or does this reminds you of the hub world in sonic jam,aah nostalgiagasmic! btw, hows this done btw?
    Plus the repeated suicide attempts in city escape was painful to watch! bloody love the classic rooftop run remix, ooft.

20. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    'lil late but...

No you can't. The wall there is too high for Sonic to jump. Maaaybe if Modern Super Sonic's jump hight is larger, it's possible. But right now you can't backtrack unless you change Sonic's jump height :/

EDIT: Dat video. Now I wanna explore the city I should be escaping from even more.

Also, interesting how collision data seems to be set up in these levels... Apparently the bottom of the map has a floor o.o