don't click here

Computer trouble

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Zycor, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    Well, I was playing Minecraft on my desktop earlier, and suddenly at 9:11 PM it froze, and I turned it off, and turning it back on resulted in "No Signal" on my monitor. So I tried doing a lot of stuff, did some trouble shooting, and to no avail. Everything appears to be working, I disconnected and reconnected just about everything...

These are the parts

PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-650TX 650W RT
    CPU INTEL|CORE I3 550 3.20G 4M R
    MEM 4GB Crucial
    Hard Drive Western Digital Blue Caviar 500 GB
    Mother Board Bio Star TH55HD
    GPU Asus GT430

And the OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I tried removing everything from my motherboard, I tried using the on board graphics, I tried only using the motherboard, the fans, the CPU. I tested my PSU with a paper clip like the site says and if the fan didn't turn on with what I did then the power supply would be the problem, the fan came on on it. I can't seem to single out what the problem is, I'm guessing at this point that it's the Mother Board, but I'm not entirely sure.

I built this set up in February of this year, and until now I haven't had too many problems with it, and I just formatted it Sunday with my legal copy of Windows 7, because my video editing software wasn't working and it's hard to edit videos when that happens.

At this point the only things I can think of doing are trying to get my motherboard replaced, or taking it to a repair place and see if they can find the problem and charge me a ton of money... Which I can only do after I delete some files off my hard drive because I have some roms and other stuff and I don't want to happen to have gotten the repair person who goes on busting people for potentially illegally downloaded stuff. I really doubt it's software related because I'm guessing I would've at least gotten into the BIOS booting the computer without a hard drive.

As of right now, my computer turns on, the fans turn off and then it turns on again, and everything appears to be working, but I get no video signal. Any ideas of what I should do? I'm honestly not sure if it's the PSU or the Mother Board, both of which I'm sure are under warranty, my power supply has a 5 year warranty, I'm not sure how long my warranty on my motherboard is, I'm honestly at a loss and I don't know what to do.

I know my motherboard isn't giving any beep codes. I also know that it was on all day up until 9:11 from about 10 AM this morning EST, and it had started doing the random Windows 7 glitch where the task bar will act like your mouse is still on the task bar, when it's not. I was going to reset it after I noticed that, but I didn't, but I really doubt that has anything to do with the problem and I've not noticed any problems with it up till now.

2. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Try a different PSU, first... If it boots than it's just that. Otherwise it could be a problem with the motherboard.

3. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    PSU is the likely candidate of failure here. a POST card would be a handy thing in such situation.

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Yeah, sounds like a PSU issue. The fans turn on because they can cope up with little, but probably the rest of the hardware isn't getting turned on at all.

What test did you do with the PSU though? The only way to properly test that is using a device that actually eats power from the PSU =/

5. Zycor

Zycor

Beats me.
    I don't have another power supply on hand, so I'm really just shooting in the dark here. I'm thinking it's my motherboard but I have no way of knowing for certain. It could be either, though I think it's the motherboard, though I haven't gotten any beep codes from it, so that's why I'm curious as to what the problem is. I know my laptop's motherboard had random problems, at one point it wasn't letting me charge the battery till they replaced it. Though Dell had to do that about 4 times before my laptop started working properly. (which led to me buying and building the machine I'm now having problems with)

I know when I had nothing but the Power Supply and the Motherboard hooked up I still couldn't get a video signal so I think I've narrowed it down to one or the other, though according to my PSU maker's site the PSU would only have a problem if it failed their test where you stick a paper clip in it and if the fan comes on then it's working properly, which it did. I don't know, I contacted both of them about it so I guess I'll wait and see what I hear back.

Any recommendations of POST cards if I were to get one? There are quite a few available but I'm not entirely sure which to get if I do get one, there's one on Newegg and the only other ones I can seem to find on there are either built into motherboards or aren't in stock. I'm looking around, I'm not entirely sure what to look for with one, the one on Newegg seems like it should do the job.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158065&Tpk=POST%20card

I'm also looking around on google's shop thing to find others and there is a large selection but I'm not sure what sites are trust worthy and what brands are good.

6. I had the exact same thing like a month ago. It did not give any beep signals, any signal to my monitor, everything seemed to work. I took out the motherboard battery for a minute, put it back it (this resets the bios), and it worked again. I don't know if you tried it already and I doubt it'll fix it, but it's worth a try.

7. Corsair PSUs are usually really reliable so I'm guessing it's the motherboard (Biostar aren't exactly high quality units). Got any other junk computer to hook up to that PSU?

Cheers,
    Oerg866

8. Zycor

Zycor

Beats me.
    I unfortunately threw out my only other desktop computer, (and by threw out, I mean donated the parts to Goodwill since the thing was old and it was a DELL Dimension 3000, and from what I remember it didn't look like it would be easy to get that particular power supply out of it)

I am aware of Biostar not being the best motherboard brand (though the motherboard I bought from them was over all positively reviewed on newegg, but not by too many people, I decided to take a risk), but I only got it because it was a good deal with newegg's bundle with the processor. From what I'm reading though it could still either be the power supply or the motherboard, the only other problems I've ever had with this computer have been software related. I only also ever had blue screen until I downloaded some updates on 7, to which I didn't have them anymore. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a power supply tester and I should probably buy a POST card, I'm reading more about power supply failure and it's sounding more and more like that's the problem. If it does turn out to be the motherboard however, I can probably get them to send me a replacement or I could just up and buy a better brand motherboard. The only reason I even got it is because the i3 that came with it was significantly cheaper than buying a mother board and a processor separately.

I probably wont hear back from the companies for a few days, but I have my laptop for now, at least.

Would it be a good idea to buy the tester and debug card myself and test it myself, or should I probably end up spending more money and take it to a repair place?