don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    I have no clue what I'm supposed to do at the final boss. None of the random advice the game screams at me helps at all.

2. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    Did you make sure to watch out for the homing attack?
    Be careful of the homing attack

3. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    Wow. My copy finally showed up in the mail yesterday, and I had it beat in about six hours of play (with help from some pals who are slightly better at bossfights than I).

I never got far enough into Colors to make a definitive statement about it, but disregarding that, I'll say this; gameplay-wise this is the best since SA2. (I'm not saying SA2 is better, but I consider SA1/2 to be too different to compare to this.)

Everyone should get this, Sonic fan or not. It is, simply put, a good game. I'm looking forward to the 3DS version, although the day when I can actually afford an 3DS is a ways off. Ah, poverty.

What I really like is how classic-level Sonic gimmicks show up when you don't expect them, such as the Hydrocity holding-on-to-a-crumbling-pole-while-water-current-pushes-you-towards-spikes bit during Seaside Hill. The same can be said the other way, like when the Death Egg fight starts to resemble the Egg Golem from SA2.

There's far too much to say about this game, mostly because it's... almost flawless. Everything that needs to be there is there, and it all works just right. I only wish there was MORE of it.

The only thing I truly dislike, which really puts a bit of a bad spot on an otherwise flawless game, is the Time Eater battle. It was unintuitive, not a lot of fun, and a bit of a letdown. This is even by modern "final boss" standards; Perfect Chaos, the Biolizard, and Black Doom come to mind as superior boss fights.

Also, while I'm not bothered by the slight decrease in graphical detail since Unleashed, since it also entails a slight stylistic change (even Rooftop Run has a different vibe to it), I would really like to know what happened with those prerendered cutscenes. They have moments where they look REALLY bad, as if I'm watching a prerendered vudeo on a Sega Saturn.

4. Um.

[​IMG]

5. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    I played through the game with all hint options turned off, and I managed to beat the final boss at the first try. Although I wasn't sure exactly how I did it.
    Here's how I think you beat him:
    With patience. Just keep boosting all the time to get closer to the boss. It takes a while. You can hold the jump button to charge up the other Sonic and shoot him at the debris or missiles. That won't hurt the boss, though. You can switch perspectives (classic/modern Sonic), but I don't know what for. Some say the 2D perspective makes it easier to collect rings. But I managed just fine staying in 3D all the time.
    When close to the boss, just evade his attack and boost into his core, marked with the homing attack reticule. Don't try homing, though, just fly into the core and stay at it until he takes a hit. At the very end of the boss, simply hold LB+RB (or L1+R1) all the time until you win.

6. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    So I got stuck in Planet Wisp Act 1.

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    This video is private.
    Sorry about that.

:psyduck:

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I got stuck inside one of the the big spinning disk platforms in Modern Sky Sanctuary. Didn't pass through my mind to record it though.

9. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Just realized... The SA1 pose might have been referenced earlier than we realize:
    [​IMG]

It's in the HD version too, but I couldn't find a clean image of it.

And on the topic of glitches, I finally got my hands on it yesterday (forrealz this time), and I only really hit one glitch. During Classic City Escape, at the point where Sonic is climbing the scaffolding while the G.U.N truck is knocking it down, there was a single tower of platforms that wasn't falling for some reason. I jumped to the very top (twenty seconds of jumping) and spindash'd off towards the end of the level... except the game decided not to load the street.

10. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    The perspective thing is to chase down the boss. Sometimes the boss will go outside of that tunnel of time or whatever it is, and you switch to Classic Sonic in order to still be able to get to him, if you're almost to the core. When he goes back into the tunnel, switch back to Modern.

11. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    dfgdfs I forgot to make it public after adding the annotations. Fixed.

12. Yuzu

Yuzu

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonic-Generations-Sonic-Hedgehog-20th-Anniversary-European-Promo-Presskit-/110768294382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ca4e09ee#ht_1096wt_1270

A European Promo Presskit with a pretty damn cool "T-shirt cartridge" box. Not worth $415, but thought I might as well post it so people are aware that it's selling.

13. Dehry

Dehry

Ohio
    That's exactly what happened to me as well. If you jump over that building, the game does not load the next section's graphics. It expects you to go through the underwater maze. I thought the game was broken. What's interesting is that the Espio mission for the level actually has you jump there and it loads fine. It's been the only glitch I have seen. Edit: That and the dropping into walls thing

14. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    If this winds up happening then here's hoping for Night Palace, if not solely for a remix of Unwakening Float.

I just used Thunder Shield for this one. You know the upper path to get into the first factory? Just double-jump up there, it's right after that loop.

15. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    That makes sense, thanks for the info.

Oh, a reference to Sonic 3's CNZ, nice. ;)

16. GuetaMinute

GuetaMinute

One small problem in the game that can be really frustrating for me is the way the rings drop when you're damaged. I hate how they just keep bouncing up and down and never stop. In other games they would bounce a bit then slowly the bouncing would diminish allowing you to get most of them easily. Also, I haven't had a lot of issues with glitches, besides the Orange Rocket Wisp in Act 2, the same one someone posted earlier. It was pretty funny.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Glitches eh?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What is this I don't even...

One thing I've noticed though. This is the first Sonic game in a while that doesn't hand 1 ups out like candy.

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    The "invisible Seaside Hill" bug also happened to my friend SomecallmeJohnny during the playthrough he recorded for BrainScratch Commentaries, it was hilarious. The same thing happens in the world-record speedruns for Eggmanland, as I recall, because of the way the Hedgehog Engine loads up level segments. The developers need to start thinking outside the box in how they place those loading cues, so bugs like this don't happen. (Rule #1 for all Quality Assurance personnel: play the game like a total screwball. You'll find the most glitches that way.)

That should actually be going up over the next couple of weeks, so I'll post the parts here as Johnny uploads them. For those of you who enjoy listening to six major Sonic nerds talking shit while videogame footage plays in the background, that is. =3

19. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Haha, that's because you can buy them from Omochao for super cheap. And after you buy all the other skills, what the hell else are you going to use all those points for that you earned from trying to speed run Modern stages?

Speaking of glitches, there was one time I jumped up to the long powerline shortcut in City Escape, and not only was it not visible, halfway down it I fell through it into a building and died.

20. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Online seems to work for my brother...to an extent. Rankings does (sometimes error going between stages choices but nothing that stops him doing it), but 30 Second Trial errors still. Odd.