don't click here

Unused PS2 Case Cover for Sonic Heroes

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by OKei, Nov 1, 2011.

1. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    [​IMG]

Source: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35988

I'm not a fan myself.

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    "Publisher's Logo".

Was there a chance of THQ or someone else getting this one at some point, or were the artists just trying to cover all their bases?

edit: What surprises me more is that they seem to have known the rating before they knew the publisher. Unless they decided from the start that they'd do whatever they had to in order to squeeze in an E rating.

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Oh man. Thank fuck this didn't make the final cut.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I still prefer the Japanese box myself.

5. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    RE: Giant-ass watermark. Does Assemblergames always do that? Ugh. Another complaint, I never liked the nike-mouth Sonic model that was in Heroes.

Interesting idea for box art, seems a little more... artsy? It is a little confusing. (I assume it's a reflection in his eye, which makes it seem like they're posing for Sonic...)

6. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    [​IMG]

7. It would be interesting if the box art was one of those 3D boxes, and the face changed between Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. Though to be honest, it wouldn't have surprised me if this ever did get to final design.

8. MastaSys

MastaSys

That would be actually a good cover, if sonic's model on heroes wasn't that horrible.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The model they did use for the box art and title was a LOT better, I have to say.

10. British Gaijin

British Gaijin

Go play Nier. Member
    Great Britain, UK
    The EscapeRoute Show
    KILL IT WITH FIRE.

That is one piece of absolutely awful box artwork. The final box-art is much better in my opinion - it is clear that the game is based around the three-man team concept and it even incorporates the iconic blue skies from the first two game stages (or technically three if you count Sea Gate).

This on the other hand isn't appealing. The box shows one character's face, large with little free space (the empty space can make or break a game cover). The reflection in the eye would not adequately explain the difference in the gameplay mechanics or the shift of focus in an effective way.

When I'm on the fence about a game, the front cover of the box is the absolute final clincher. With Dead Rising 2: Off The Record, the box artwork is so disgusting and mish-mashed that it offers little in the way of appeal. I would say the same for this prototype art, too. I'm glad they changed it.

11. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Can anyone mirror this, please? Photobucket is being dumb because of bandwidth.

12. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    God that looks horrendous. I always hated that render of Sonic (hell, I recall being in an edit war on Wikipedia many years back trying to prevent its use, it's that hideous). It's not quite as bad as EU Sonic 3D cover, but still pretty awful - that shit-eating grin, the constipated pose... Never clicked with me, and never will. Greatly prefer the jumping pose they opted for in the end.

13. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    It's not a bad picture...but considering the game focuses on being teams and all, and the cover puts focus on mostly Sonic, bad idea.

14. Did anybody save the image? Looks like it's unavailable now.

15. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    [​IMG]

16. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    It just looks like Sonic has trapped Tails and Knuckles inside a prison inside his eye. @_@

17. ... Eww. I'm glad they didn't choose that design, because it's ugly, if you ask me. e.o

18. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Eh. It might have looked either good or bad -- I suppose it woulda depended on the way it woulda been colored/rendered.

19. Wasn't that the box art used for promotional purposes? Am I remembering things that didn't happen?

20. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    What the... I hope that was never being considered.