don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    What, remix of Stardust US? But there was a remix of Stardust JP in one of the videos...

2. MastaSys

MastaSys

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    One of my favorite music tracks in the whole Sonic series gets another awesome remix... Thank you, SEGA.

4. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    If by awesome you mean made messy.

Thanks SEGA!!!

5. MastaSys

MastaSys

messly awesome, maybe I like it because my Sonic CD didn't have lies as music :v:
    (I kid, I actually love both Stardust Bad Future.)

6. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    >hears Sonic Battle remix (Mission 3)
    >FUCK YEAAAAAAA

7. hwd45

hwd45

It will be fun playing as super sonic again. I've never been able to get all the emeralds in a game, so I always used to use cheats. In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, there is a cutscene (or something) near the end of generations where you see both Super Sonics next to each other. Classic Super Sonic doesn't look very much like he used to. In fact, Modern Super Sonic looks very similar to how Super Sonic used to look.

8. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    There's something I'd like to get confirmed. Is the PC release for ALL regions out on the 4th? Or just EU? GameFAQs has all regions release date as the 4th.

9. British Gaijin

British Gaijin

Go play Nier. Member
    Great Britain, UK
    The EscapeRoute Show
    I knew I recognised it! This soundtrack really does incorporate everything. Modern Escape From The City has an It Doesn't Matter SA2 section and has new lyrics further into the song. Also, the tone shifts on the later "Follow me"'s with the held phrases are just music to the ears (lit.)

10. NickW

NickW

It's indeed all regions.

11. Dehry

Dehry

Ohio
    It comes down to copyright law. It's a remix (and from what I heard, more sampling than remix) and not the original song. I'm not a media lawyer, but I deal with it enough working at a radio station to know about the nasty world of royalties. If Sega puts an original ROM image on an emulator, there was a contract previously agreed to for sales of that game which they abide by. If they want to remake/reuse the music in another work, a new agreement has to be made with the original artist. The Sonic CD re release is a remake using a new game engine. That means the soundtrack has to be licensed to be used. Spencer Neilson/Pastiche would need to negotiate for their works to be used. That's why there was a revision to Sonic Spinball since Sega does not own the Sonic 1 title theme. Since the Japanese soundtrack was made by people employed by Sega there is no problem using those tracks. Spencer Neilson also worked for Sega at the time but anytime vocals by Pastiche are used, they would have to be compensated for their contributions (It's no different than if they had Madonna sing instead.) It's easier (cheaper) for Sega to use the JP/EU soundtrack than to try and use the US soundtracks.

This stuff goes on all the time behind the scenes with games, but never is looked at as much as the differences between the beta and final game.

12. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    There's actually a remix of the US Stardust Speedway in the game as an unlockable though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15rGdGl0uHQ

EDIT: Ninja'd a bit, but there's the actual song.

13. endy

endy

Oh man that remix is sending chills down my spine. This OST so far has been really amazing, I'm really digging everything I've been hearing so far of it (outside of the vocal themes, never really liked those too much outside of a couple...). I really can't wait to get my hands on this game now! All the amazing stuff I've heard and watched so far has really sold me on this. I am a bit bummed of there being no classic Knuckles at the very least, but oh well :P

14. I've listened to nearly the whole OST. Definitely all the remixes. Sonic Generations: Best Video Game Soundtrack in the last twenty years.

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    From what I've heard, every remix is incredible, and is on par with, or even surpasses the original.

Except for one glaring track.

For True Story...why? Unless my opinion changes before Tuesday, I have a feeling I'll be loading up the original on my mp3 player when I get to Shadow. =/ Bummer, this was one of the top 5 remixes I was looking forward to. One poor track isn't anything to sneeze at when everything else is so amazing, however.

EDIT: And yes, I have listened to Planet Wisp. Everyone seems to be hatin' on those two, but I quite like them myself.

16. I know the first three cutscenes and a major spoiler cutscene are on youtube but I haven't seen any others. I checked the last few pages of the old thread and didn't see any. Has anyone uploaded them yet?

I can understand the hate, it's a tad overdramatic, but as a final stage it suits the mood. The guitars and strings on the classic could be scaled back but I've got nothing but love for that whiny, triangular synth tone.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Go back a few more, you'll find them.

18. Felik

Felik

Hm... interesting thing.
    Mushroom Hill remix in Generations seems to be a different track than Mushroom Hill remix from Gens 3DS.
    Maybe it's just an updated version? Doesn't seem so.

19. I like the modern remix for Planet Wisp (calling it a modern remix makes no sense btw).

Classic, though...

20. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US

Theres certain music that say TARGET next to them.. I dunno what this means... Is there missions where you hit targets or something? As well, the ones that say target next to 'em seem not to be full blown remakes or remixes like the rest of the soundtrack..