don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Being remixed means everything is good.... I never thought about that.......

I mean, those OC Remixes of Sonic music are always........ good..... never terrible.....

Cash Cash also has a clear and...... untainted record of constant quality......... just like Jun......

2. Felik

Felik

I wonder if they are gonna put 3DS remixes into the HD version as unlockables. That would be beyond awesomeness.

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    TV Commercial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zm5xMtEmI4

4. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Someone find the source video on that one. The uploader said it was recorded off another site. And by "that one", I mean the modelswap.

I was expecting a yellow boost aura, but then I remembered SA.

Also, it's times like these that I imagine Kogen to have a stalker shrine devoted to Modern Sonic a la 'Hey Arnold!'.

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Green gumball eyes or bust.

6. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    There's only one thing cooler than Sonic... Classic Sonic!

7. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I know I'm a few pages late replying to this, but if you think about it, Sonic rolling in a ball (as well as his speed) is one of the main reasons which sets Sonic speeding ahead of the game during the Genesis v. NES/SNES wars of the 90s. His speed and rolling defined what Sonic was.

Now it's boosting and homing attacks.

8. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    I think that's why the 3DS songs are so high quality in the first place.

9. diplomacydog

diplomacydog

What did I just read? Member
    South Carolina
    No :(
    You probably should stop being such a bitch. Stop trying to make everyone feel as shitty as you obviously do.

10. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Well, to be fair, there's not a whole lot preventing the 3DS from using high-quality audio like that. We've hit the point where it can stream proper audio instead of resorting to module/MIDI-like music formats. So, well, why not have high-quality music for the portable version?

Granted, the DS itself could do this too (I cite Apollo Justice as evidence of this fact), but there's even less excuse not to do it with the 3DS (unless you have a very good reason for it, like dynamic music a la iMuse).

11. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    So, I finally got to play the PS3 demo! Then I played it again! And again.

It's kind of a weird story as to why I didn't play the 360 demo, as I have a 360, and I preordered it for that game. The story is as follows: My 360 is in the living room of my new house. The router is waaaay on the other side of the house. I am too cheap to buy a wireless adapter and I don't have an ethernet cable as long as my house. Hooray!

Only three things bother me, two of which seem to be exclusive to the PS3 demo; some slightly weird reaction times and the fact that I'm not used to the PS3 controller. So, no big deal. One thing is causing me huge issues, but it might just be a result of my awful vision; I can't see anything for most of classic Green Hill! The badniks blend into the background, I can barely find Sonic, and in general, my head hurts. It gets a whole lot better once I enter the lower levels (and it doesn't bug me at all in Modern mode), but is anyone else having to squint to get through Classic Green Hill?

12. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Nope, everything was fine for me. I also didn't have any input lag.

13. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    I guess it's just me going senile, then.

Also: was that little brake/spindash Modern Sonic has (where he rolls into a ball and drifts to the side a bit, when R2/L2 are hit) there in Colors or Unleashed? I only just noticed it in this game, and I love it. It seems like a more polished version of Unleashed's drift.

14. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    No problems for me finding sonic in CGHZ, because Sonic does not motionblur and he goes in the middle mostly.

15. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Not everybody can see color well enough to fly big ol' aeroplanes. Just like we have differing opinions, we also have different pairs of eyeballs. Also think about the variety of TVs that are now on the market, and how different each of those TV's video settings could be from one another. I've owned several standard def TV's, and no two have had the same picture quality, no matter how much I nitpick with the sharpness and contrast, etc. It's great that some of us don't have any problems seeing Sonic and telling him and his foes apart from Green Hill Zone. For those that can't...you have my sympathy, but...have you tried to mess with your TV's settings at all? Not saying it's a fix-all to your problems, but maybe you can find a set up that works a little better for you.

16. Cyberblade

Cyberblade

Can't catch me ya bastard! Member
    Ohio
    Sonic Shift
    I downloaded the PS3 demo last night too. Guess I'll throw in my two cents and give a sort of Demo Review

I only noticed any 'button lag' when I really focused and tried to look for it. It didn't even register that there was anything off when I was just playing without looking for it. Can't say I had much trouble finding Sonic or the Badniks. Classic Sonic is kinda tiny on screen, but that is more meant to allow you to see upcoming obstacles, not that there is too much too worry about in GHZ.

I could start going into a bunch of small physics rants like everyone else has over the last 743 pages, but I won't. Not because the 'issues' aren't there, but because this may be 'classic' Sonic, it's NOT a Genesis game. I can deal with the physics being different because that's just how it goes as time goes on and game design changes. Compare the physics of Sonic 3 to the original Sonic the Hedgehog. They're very similar, but at the same time different feeling. (Though the differences here are greater, so is the time difference) I'm not going to go nuts that this isn't 100% accurate because if I wanted 100% accurate I'd just pull out my old games and play them. For the most part the physics as they are work for the type of game they've tried to create, feeling both familiar and foreign at the same time, which is exactly the type of game they're trying to create here. New meets old.

My only complaint 'physics' related was that Classic Sonic felt a bit sluggish to accelerate. But I suspect that's an issue with this demo, since I didn't feel it quite as much in the previous demo, and don't see it in the final gameplay videos that we're starting to see from reviews.

For the most part I can only offer glowing comments of joy. I haven't felt like I was having this much fun with a Sonic game since I was 11 and got Sonic Adventure in 99. It goes above and beyond that feeling and brings back not just a nostalgia of my younger childhood with classic Genesis Sonic, but a feeling I've never felt in a Sonic title before. Not only did I want to blaze through levels and find new paths (And to see several different routes in both classic & modern made me smile), but a number of places actually made me want to slow down and just look at the pretty backgrounds and enjoy the scenery. So many little background set pieces, especially in classic Sonic, are just beautiful. I can't say any Sonic game I've played previously has EVER made me want to just slow down and look and I really hope that all of the levels can manage this.

I can't wait until next week to pick this game up.

17. It could also be how your system's hooked up. Are you hooked up to an HDTV via HDMI? If you're using anything less than HDMI, that would definitely make things more difficult. Also, are you on an SDTV? SDTVs and HD games have been known to have problems. My Wii looked like shit on my 46 inch HDTV until I bought component cables, now it's at least bearable. Before it was just like if you saved a great piece of computer art as a JPEG. Making sure you have a good connection between your system and TV is ALWAYS important.

If you have an HDTV with and HDMI cable set up and you're still having problems, like Sonic Warrior TJ said, mess around with your TV's contrast settings, it won't make it perfect but it'll certainly help. Maybe you're on a shitty preset that doesn't work well for video games? Worst case scenario its just how your eyes are, I'd suggest getting your eyes checked. It's good to get your eyes checked yearly anyways.

18. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    So, throughout the week, I've been cheating and playing the EU demo (Although I swapped it out for the US demo yesterday, despite the fact there's no difference between the two), and, well, I'm the kind of guy that likes to go short, sweet, and to the point, but I'll try out a review anyway.

-Act 1 (Classic Green Hill)-

I will agree that the physics in this game aren't the same as the Genesis games (I always like to roll down hills just in case a badnik was down there waiting on me to fuck up, and I can't do that here), but, like others have said, if I wanted true Genesis physics, I'd fire up the Genesis games on my PS3, Wii, or PC. The graphics (for both this and Modern Green Hill) are awesome, even with the PS3's alledgedly worse textures, and I always love how the level uses a ton of camera angles, twisting turns, and other stuff to make it feel 3D yet still keep it on a 2D plane. The sense of speed, while not as big as the Modern act, was still there, especially when I saw myself rushing through the final corkscrew and straightaway to the signpost with Speed Shoes. The only complaint I have, besides the aforementioned inability to roll while running, is Omochao in his role as Captain Obvious, but even then I feel he'd be somewhat helpful to those who are playing this as their first Sonic game, and don't care to RTFM, or those who've never played Unleashed or Colors.

-Act 2 (Modern Green Hill)-

This one gives me such a rush every time I play it, and this stage I love to run through and try and do a Time Trial, something I can't say for even the Rush titles. In this level, there are at least 2 paths, a high path and a low path, and the low path generally tends to be longer, and at times more platforming-oriented. The controls feel much better than Unleashed and Colors, and I don't find myself slipping and sliding around during boost. The same thing about graphics apply here, especially since there are times where you can see one path in the background while you're on the other. (Seriously, take the low path after the grind cave, and look in the background. At the very least you'll see the corkscrew of the high path.) As before, Omochao is annoying, but I'm too busy boosting to pay attention to him, so it's all good. Still turning the fucker off next week, though.

Overall, I'm really looking forward to this game. Only 6 more days for us Yanks :v:

19. Vandelay

Vandelay

Say Vandelay!
    Okay, this is the last video I'll post since people are probably getting annoyed by them. But I made a nice little fan made launch trailer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuvXs9e3RYI&lc=whOZ6ZtY5zbiQrk1lX7i-ZFJbAzMQ1Id5nbxK2-MZ-0&feature=inbox

20. Skaarg

Skaarg

It's kind of hard to sort through to see if there are any other reviews of this (especially from my phone), but I just got my 3D glasses in the mail today so I had to try out the demo. I will say the 3D (especially for modern sonic) is some of the best I have ever seen once I got the settings right. It does look beautiful, but it is obvious the framerate takes a hit in some instances where there really is a lot going on screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.