don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    So after playing both PS3 and 360 demos, I have to say the PS3 one feels off in comparison. Visually things just seem lower rez. The input lag that was in the first demo is almost gone, but there are times I'm making jumps and I feel like I should have made it a split second earlier.

On a more personal note, I don't understand how someone can play this with a PS3 controller. The analog in the other spot really messed with me and I ended up just using the D-Pad.

2. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJYerOBxZt4

Apparantly commercials started airing on various channels, sorry if already posted, I didn't see it. Now if only we could see that supersonic trailer...

3. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Big the Cat is more fun than Sonic Colours.

4. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I completely disagree. I hated Big The Cat. I'd rather plat Sonic 06.

5. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Not gonna lie, the first time I found out there was fishing gameplay slap bang in the middle of a Sonic game, I laughed pretty hard. As funny as it is, being out of place and all, I found it so utterly boring and mundane.

That said, it would be hilariously awesome if one of the unlockables in Sonic Generations turned out to be something Big/fishing related. :v:

6. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    We are supposed to make outrageous, extremist comments in this topic. That is how it works.

Everything is either the best or the worst, no in between. You either are with us or against it, choose wisely.

Also to be serious for a moment, Big was in Sonic Adventure only to sell the fishing rod controller. It was a launch gimmick.

7. :objection:
    Sega Bass Fishing would like to have a word with you, and it says on our very own sister project Sega Retro that it is not comparable with the fishing stages in Sonic adventure.

But back to the actual topic:
    Sonic's 20th anniversary will be definitely better than his 15th. Whether or not this can be attributed to the existence of Big the Cat at all is still under debate.

8. Oh man, we get the best Sonic game in 10 years and some dude is bitching about how much green Sonic skin (or fur) reflects from the grass...
    I definitively do not envy Iidzuka...

BTW, I just realized there is one game that had a story very similar to the one in Generations, although I'm pretty sure almost nobody remembers or knows it. It's "Pac-man World" for the PSOne.
    It was launched in 1999 coinciding with the 20th Anniversary of the franchise, and at the start it has Pac-man going home to celebrate his birthday with his family and friends, but everyone gets kidnapped, so when he gets home, his house (and his cake!) is trashed. Then you have 5 or 6 worlds (with 3 or 4 "acts" each), and, at the end of each final act you rescue one of your friends.
    Coincidence? It certainly isn't the most creative story in the world, but in a good platforming game story needn't to be more than an excuse for pixel-perfect platforming IMO.

9. I noticed the similarity to Pac-Man World too, San.ake. I think it's a mere coincidence, though.

10. Nova

Nova

When you think about it, the Dreamcast Collection for the 360 has a comparatively heavy focus on the fishing genre with the inclusion of Big the Cat.

Clocked a new time on the demo last night as Modern, still chugging in behind at 1'49'50. I'm also mildly upset (read: butthurt) about the western membership getting this game a few days early. :(

EDIT: Make it 1'49'23. :v:

11. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I know that the game is coming out relatively soon (Although it feels like a fucking decade!), but it would really have been nice for the second Demo to include the ranking system. (Perhaps especially so, due to the second Demo's inclusion of the two ranking result music tracks.) I would have really liked to see what ranks require what levels of perfection, etcetera.

12. Nova

Nova

I'm pretty sure everyone who's tried marginally improving their speedrun each time would consider that a blessing. It would definitely take away from some of the repetition of only having one level to play with. :v:

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Plus the only reason the rank music wasn't included in the first demo was because it didn't exist at that point yet. We all know the rank screen was 100% in that demo.

14. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    We have another as well... also in German, and also an 8.5

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Respectable score. According to the post I got this from at SSMB

Graphics: 7
    Sound: 8
    Controls: 8
    Total: 8.5 of 10

Pros:
    -Fast paced
    -Lot's of unlockables
    -Different paths
    -Completely dubbed in German with the professional Sonic X actors

Cons:
    -The approximately 30 frames per second slightly slow the pace of the game
    -Few Boss fights
    -Camera ocassionally unreasonable
    -Loading times could be shorter
    ------
    Unlockables: 14 character biographies, 50 pieces of music, 130 concept-arts and 13 videos
    A few skills: Run faster under water, lower loss of speed while going up slopes and 8 more
    Sonic 1 will cost 7777 points
    Chaos Emeralds seem to be obtained from bosses: "(...) Or the fight with Metal Sonic to get one of the seven magical Emerald-Crystals (lol)"

Main game (9 Zones, 18 acts) will take about 4 hours, adding missions, Emeralds etc, 3 more. Not sure if this means collecting the Emeralds has nothing to do with the story. Might be that you have to recollect them to use SS in stages. But I dunno

Oh and one random thing I was wondering. I wonder if this game has any slowdowns as bad as Unleashed Jungle Joyride day time had ><

16. Secret Bonus

Secret Bonus

I'm walking in snake piiiits, oooooOOOOooooh Member
    Throwing out a wild guess, but the Time Eater kind of looks like it has rabbit ears on its head in most shots of it.

[​IMG]

Maybe? Like Oswald the Rabbit, he's mad that he never got a chance!

17. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Wow, a 7 in the graphics department? I know I've played/cared about less than 15 games (on HD consoles) from this generation of gaming, but Sonic Generations looks beautiful to me. Though I guess the rough edges and frame-rate could have factored into that score.

18. Steven M

Steven M

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought German publications used a different scoring system where 1 was the highest score and 6 was the lowest?

19. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I don't mind differing opinions and all, but that 7 out of 10* rating for graphics has me curious as to what reasoning they have for such a score. (Even with no anti-aliasing and 30 frames per second, I.M.O. Sonic Generations looks simply stunning.)

*Unless, like Steven M stated, German publications use a totally different rating system.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Look at the above reviews. You're wrong. Different publications use different scales. 1-6 may be a common scale in Germany (just guessing) that's used by some, cause I'm sure I remember seeing it, but it's definitely not the only one they use.

EDIT: Duh. Just clicked in my head that 1-6 is the same as A-F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.