don't click here

Sonic 2006: 100% Save File and Research

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by GeneHF, Oct 11, 2011.

1. K so, I've seen some videos floating around with Debug Mode enabled. Anyone have any knowhow about how to edit the game files once they're unpacked? I know that PolygonJim and some others from Cult do, but no one's sharing any information. This topic motivates me to completely write up my findings on the game (And there is a LOT)

2. TheBalishChannel

TheBalishChannel

A skull raft, nothing below me but boiling lava.
    Sonic The Hedgehog 1 / CD Sonic sprites & pallete in Sonic The Hedgehog 2, no Tails.
    I don't know if this has been done already, but I did a complete sound rip of the game and found MANY unused SFX. Such as the trophy sound you would hear when you would win a game in the Multiplayer mode, which was later scrapped. I can upload a big-ass file full of them, if you all would like to take a listen...

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yes, please!

And if you can compile a youtube video of all the unused sounds.

4. Do tell on how you managed to do this! I'm very much interested, I've always wanted to do that but have been unable to :S

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Please do. Any contribution is certainly welcome!

Absolutely.

6. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I love the timing that this glitch happens (and Sonic's tone of voice makes it all the more amusing)! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2qyH04qONlA#t=88s[/youtube]

(for some reason I can't get the [ youtube ]link[ /youtube ] scripting to work :/)

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Remove player_detailpage&:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qyH04qONlA#t=88s[/youtube]

Time goes ignored though =/

8. TheBalishChannel

TheBalishChannel

Sonic The Hedgehog 1 / CD Sonic sprites & pallete in Sonic The Hedgehog 2, no Tails.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PTpxV7JXiA&feature=colike[/youtube]

Whipped this up in about an hour.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    That Sonic Man insane laughter is much better than the generic expressionless "Hey..." everyone gave.

The people of Soleanna are just as boring as their town. Except the Accordian Guy. He's a beacon of character in an island nation devoid of it.

10. TheBalishChannel

TheBalishChannel

Well, upon further inspection there does seem to be more voice clips for the people of Soleanna; however they don't seem to be any more interesting. Though, it would've been nice if they weren't scrapped for variety's sake. I also found that there are crowd sound effects that supposedly would've been used for some of the more populated parts of the city. It's a shame that all the cities in the game are basically fucking ghost towns, though.

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    With regards to some of those lost multiplayer sounds, keep in mind that early information stated there were three multiplayer modes, playable online:

Time Trial, Ring Race, and "Quiz".

12. Where and how did you grab these SFX?

Edit: What I mean to be asking is, how did you grab these from the extracted game files? I seem to be getting stuck and being unsure of how to further the extraction. Especially of files from the demo.

Edit2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfFTwdP2VOA -- People from X-Cult managed to do this, as well as some character swaps, anyone mind sharing how they did that?

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    At this point, they've likely taken it to the grave with them.

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Link did that!

He was an awesome dude I remember those discussions vividly esp. when the rainbow gem was first shown to the world. too bad he has dropped off the face of the earth...

But Yeah, heres the topics that he was doing his own STH2006 research:
    http://forums.x-cult.org/topic/2823-sonic-the-hedgehog-x360
    http://forums.x-cult.org/topic/4943-sonic-next-re-rollup

Maybe the past can awnser some of your own current questions.

15. sandwichbars

sandwichbars

Man, I'm loving that scrapped result music! I prefer it over the final version for the simple fact that it sounds less... sad (for lack of a better word).

Other than that, the shield mechanic was probably ditched seeing as the lightning shield worked like pure shit.

16. TheBalishChannel

TheBalishChannel

I converted the .xma files from the game disk into .wav files using a simple, ".bat-drag-and-drop" program. However, to find the .xma files within a disk, you will need to dump the entire game first.

17. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    The Speed Shoes BGM is just an early MIDI version of what appears in the final as the Invincibility theme. For whatever reason, they just decided against or never got around to making two distinctively separate jingles.

The Results BGM is simply the acoustic guitar loop used in that pre-finalized instrumental version of His World.

Whipped up a quick comparison MP3, with the solo guitar layered on top half way through.

I'm personally leaning towards both being nothing more than filler - which is amusing considering that His World ended up being reworked slightly, iirc without the acoustic guitar, resulting in it being completely unused in the final game. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

18. I did convert all of the files I dumped, unlessed I missed some, which ones were they? O.O

I did read these topics--'tis where I got the .arc unpacker/repacker, however I have no idea how to edit the files that it unpacks :P

19. Apologies for the double post--

http://info.sonicretro.org/Cheat_Codes:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%282006%29 Mentions that there are 'unlockable characters'.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Hard to say. The icons and the respective achievements match the descriptions there, but this is one of those cases where this could be stemmed from assumptions on achievement pictures. By that logic, though, Elise would have been playable upon collecting all the gold medals. Princess stages every stage.

Kill me now.