don't click here

Prodding SMC+

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Heran Bago, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    I was recently lent a copy of Sonic Mega Collection + for the PS2.
    First thing I do? Play a round of Sonic and Sonic 2.
    Second thing? Pop it into my computer.

I recalled that "JustMe" found another revision of Sonic 1 from the gamecube version (although I can't recall if it turned out real), so I figured I 'd give it a shot.
    Since the "Mega Collections" are just emulating, I thought the ROMs might be stored seperatly. Indeed they are, but they're encrypted in some ".CPT" format. After a while of research, I got the general idea that this is "crypt" format (never head of it). After trying a variety of decompressors, decyptors and whatnot, only this one showed any promise. After messing with it for a bit, it somehow decrypted Sonic the Hedgehog for the MD. Just the normal genesis one, not JustMe's revision 03.
    The problem is, I couldn't get the decrypter to work any more after that. I tried for about 2-3 hours before calling it quits. CryptIt seems to have no problem turning .CPTs into .CPTs though.

There are different Sonic 1 ROMS... SONIC1.CPT, SONIC1B.CPT, SONIC1U.CPT.
    There are also SONIC2.CPT and SONIC2B.CPT
    S&K locked on to a game is called KNU_Px.CPT, wher x is 1, 2, or 3.

I also identified the audio from the menus (.ADX) as dreamcast audio. Yes, on a PS2 game. There's a program to convert them to mp3s, and I did so for all to listen to and go, "lame, I've heard these before".

Other bizzare file types are illustrations or manuals (.AFS) and text (.UTX).

If anyone knows of a working decrypter or veiwer that can handle these beasts, CPT, AFS, or UTX, please tell. Here's the CPT of sonic 2 for the hell of it:
    http://heranbago.digibase.ca/random/SONIC2.CPT

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Fun Fact: SMC+ has two versions of S2

3. magraimon

magraimon

A superficial anomaly of the human psyche! Member
    It'd be interesting to know if the european version has these different sonic versions too, as SMC NTSC had different versions of sonic1 which could be changed via a code, whereas the PAL version did not :)

I'll be getting SMC+ for my xbox when it is released (we're expecting it 4th feb - march)
    So I'll provide comments then.

4. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    AFS files are archives. Do a google for afx2adx

5. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    ADX was used extensively in Dreamcast games, but there's nothing inherently "Dreamcast" about it. It's simply an audio format by CRI Middleware, suitable for other platforms as well. The same goes for SFD.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think most of us would rather download the ADX files instead... Any chances of uploading them (compressed, if possible)?

Wow, you actually managed to decrypt one of SMC's ROMs? That's something nobody could make before!

Now if only somebody could decrypt that second Sonic 2 ROM...

7. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    I've got the xbox version. My comments on the SMC+, some stuff is improved, but other things left me in questions. Like since XBOX and PS2 use DVDROMS which I believe are 4GB discs(correct me if I'm wrong) Why the lack of videos? Granted theres 6 but they are the same thing's. Sorry if this spoils it for any one but the videos are actually just 2 Sonic Heros videos. Each video has 3 subs, StoryBoard(the basicly rough draft design of the video), In-Production(some from SB, some from while it was being animated, and some from the finished video, and Final, the completely finished video. Anyways the 2 vids are Sonic Heros Title FMV, and DarkTeam's intro FMV.

Why did they decided for this? I prefer GC in this part of the game itself, atleast GC had stuff from Sonic CD as well as a chronological video of the game series. Was it because of time considerations? Or we're they just too lazy to copy over stuff.

OMG, I just realized I went off topic :) Ok, Ok, jumping back on topic, I've never really messed with ripping games like that, so I wouldnt know, however, if someone could find me a utility to convert XA files to MP3/OGG, I'd be greatefull :D

8. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Ok, sure. I put them at the bottom of the old page. The originals in .rar. I excluded HISTORY.ADX becuase it perfectly matches EXTRA.ADX. That, and dial-up. Tell me if the last one doesn't work, I'm not fully sure it uploaded completely.

I think it was a glitch with CryptIt that let me decrypt it. A glitch, luck, or just SMC+ mocking me because I can't do it again. I've been trying since with nothing. This darn thing can't even tell when I want to decrypt, and just thinks it should keep encrypting the .CPT.
    I can post the original, the decrypted (just the normal one that we've seen countless times), SONIC2B.CPT, or any of the others If anyone thinks it will help finding a way to decrypt. For a sample, the normal Sonic 2 CPT from earlier should do.

EDIT:
    I'm conversing with the creator of CryptIt via email. Might not be impossible!

9. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Doesn't Hivebrain have that rom on Sonicology?

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    No, the second ROM in SMC does not have the super sonic bug fixed.

11. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Hmm, intresting. Lets hope someone can extract it then! :lol:

12. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    There is one way to get the ROMs decrypted.

And this is the only way:
    Steal it from RAM when it is running.

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Tried it. :P

Dosen't work. when you connect when SMC+ is running, it crashes. I haven't tried on the PS2 version.

14. Djbrayster

Djbrayster

"Do you wana chat with me?" Oldbie
    England UK.
    Classic Amy The Hedgehog
    Isn't there even a slow PS2/Xbox emu that we could use to extract the ram data from? Or am I thinking too literally? :huh:

15. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Try again until it works

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wasn't the method of extracting done on the GCN version before? Perhaps that method doesn't work with other consoles. I'm not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.