don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    One thing I will say is that it looks a lot more fun than the original Sonic 1 stages =D

Here's an idea, no-one's done this before so why not change the block designs in some way? That would be rather cool.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I have seen the item blocks being modified before. The issue are the walls, I don't think I've ever seen anybody modify them (other than turning them into garbage). Probably because you need to draw them in many different angles.

3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Awesome work Ambil, I had the same idea but I haven't even coded it yet. :v: I've noticed a similar error after I added my WIP Jumpdash. Sonic tends to get stuck and he goes "out of bounds" sometimes, especially in UGZ1. :\ And I see what you mean with the monitors, but I have no clue on what's causing the problem. x.X

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    In my hack I turned UP and DOWN into :) and :(

5. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    [​IMG] /o/

I also suppose I could also use this post to say I'm currently still working on special stages for lunacy.

6. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    Thank you very much, Markey for your feedback! ;) Although I doubt changing the blocks design because I'm starting to gain, let's say 'rookie art skills'. Perhaps if I improve I will make it. Now I might be changing the item blocks art desing like nineko, Sik and Destructiox propose.

But perhaps all that after I at least start over the GHZ1 layout that SonED2 magically made disappeared. :P

By the way, thanks for your feedback boys! :)

7. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    Sorry for the bump, but I must show something.

*copied from Youtube*

I got even more inspired since my special stage videos that I uploaded a couple days ago, so I remade the GHZ1 layout and I modified stuff with really basic to amateur coding skills.

New Stuff found in the video:
    - New layout for GHZ1
    - Now Rings give you 50 points when collected plus the 100 points when kept (you can still lose your rings and 50 points again but you're risking to lose the Rings Bonus at the final of the stage)
    - Monitors also gives you points! (500 points for the Rings and '500' monitors and 250 for the others).
    - Now you can break the green blocks of Marble Zone from the sides rather than just jump on them.
    - Alternative paths for GHZ1 (I've shown the lower path more than the upper one).
    - Rings gives you 50 points in Special Stages like in normal levels.

Just a little thing. I might be tweaking the layouts for some misplaced objects. So if you see some objects that have two or three pixels of suspension, just don't worry, I will fix it.

Constructive criticism is welcome. :)

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Here's a small update on my Sonic 2 hack. I replaced the jumpdash with the slam attack, minus the extra bounce. I'm still working on getting that part of the code to work. Oh and ignore the shitty title screen and HUD, I need an artist to help me with the sprites. :v: And I did edit the monitor code, but I replaced the ring monitor with a new one since I still need to figure out how to modify the unused monitors without making the game crash. :\
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBS0eCYLTdw&feature=channel_video_title

9. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    Cool. I see you created a monitor with an exclamation mark. What is it supposed to do?

10. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Chances are she's trying to recreate the Point Markers from Sonic 1 8-bit. They were always conspicuously absent in Sonic 2.

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Actually it harms Sonic, I just lack the artistic ability to draw Robotnik. :v: And the checkpoint monitor is an unused monitor in S2, the art exists in the ROM but editing any of the unused monitors code causes the game to crash the second the level loads. :\ Edit: I figured out how to edit the monitor collisions without making the game crash. ^_^

12. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    I successfully coded the arrow monitor for Sonic 2. It's available at the new version of my hack, Sonic 2: Sweet Relief.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzBqgghkOL8

The new version has been uploaded to the wiki so you can play the game. Right now it's late for me, but tomorrow I'll start a topic about it.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Very nice work! I found a small bug though:
    [​IMG] I have 240 rings
    [​IMG] It says 40...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] ... but it actually counts 240.

Should be an easy fix.

14. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    [​IMG]

15. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Your sky there looks fantastic, like a watercolour painting.

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
  17. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    *Bump* So I updated my hack a tiny bit. (I decided to post this here, rather than in my own thread so I don't triple post.) The timer starts at 99 seconds, and Sonic dies once it reaches zero. Here's a video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joIDQMC2TPw&feature=channel_video_title
    I also edited another monitor, but it's not shown here. I'm thinking about editing the code to make the time decrease faster, it'll make it more difficult anyway. And out of curiosity, does this hack meet the requirements for a wiki page or no? :v:

18. Bgvanbur

Bgvanbur

Tech Member
    USA
    a disassembly, some small Sega CD projects
    The timer says 0:01 as he dies and never reaches 0:00 which it should. But I like everything else.

19. Mosqui

Mosqui

Wow, that looks amazing! The shading technique on the clouds look fantastic and I'm digging the giant Carnival Night barrel looking pillar. Do you mind if I ask what it is for?

20. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Don't know yet!