don't click here

Iizuka: Sonic 4 Episode 2 coming 2012; Episode 3 might not happen

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Tito.

Tito.

I've actually never heard anyone say it wasn't going to be three episodes or even allude to it not being three episodes until this thread sprouted up. The link I gave you can also be found on the Sonic 4 page on Retro's wiki.

2. lennaldo

lennaldo

England
    I liked Sonic 4, not only did I enjoy playing the first playthrough but I came back to it again and again to get higher on splash hill act 3's time attack leader board. I will agree that maybe the physics weren't quite up to what I had hoped but all in all I thought the game was good, I even liked the music. All that having been said, I don't think it felt in the slightest bit like a sequel to s3&k.
    I'm pleased they are making another as I felt a bit shortchanged, in terms of legnth by episode 1 and hope that episode 2 will have a little more of a story. I,ll not be happy if I have to get all the emeralds again with out any explanation as to why.

My biggest fear is that not enough effort will be put into episode 2, that it'll just be episode 1 with different level designs, that would be pretty poor, but I'd not put it past them with the game only costing £10. Also I hope they don't bother with an episode 3, I feel like they need a second episode to finsh properly but I don't want a long drawn out series of games that not that many fans seem to like.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Really? This is the first I've heard of it being in danger. I guess it could have easily been assumed with how much of a finer product Generations has turned out to be, but when was this mentioned?

4. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    If they expand the amount of zones to at least 5 or 6 with all new zone tropes and bosses then we'll talk, I can't find myself getting too excited for another rehashfest with shitty music. With word of Episode II getting a higher budget, one can hope for a long title with better visuals and music, although I'm not counting on it. I honestly enjoyed Episode I; it wasn't great, it was too short and not particularly memorable, but the levels design was good and it had good pacing.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Mostly internal rumblings. The game until very recently hasn't even been in development. Obviously, now as Generations is winding down, 4:2 is starting up, so it's not axed.

6. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    I demand Sonic team or Dimps to make something similar to "Halo Waypoint", except it would be just with Sonic 4 and thus combine the games into a single software/game. As well, use this new software to update or patch either or both games.

For example:
    - Update the physics
    - Possibly update Music or visuals.
    - Fix any bugs
    - Add classic Sonic/Eggman for alternate use. (would be neat if this also affected the title screen)
    - Add mulitplayer (please do this already)
    - Add extra missions & achievements
    - Other bonus content
    - Possibly new downloadable characters and levels.

If Sonic Team/Dimps did this, I would gladly accept this as a proper reboot/restart of Sonic 4. Not only would both games be combined into one, the previous episode can also be upgraded. To me this is the best way to go.

7. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    So let me get this straight.

Sega now has a license to the Retro Engine. And they refuse to use it because the code base is incompatible with the existing Sonic 4 engine, which they are still using for Episode 2.

Well, so much for this title. Pack it up, boys, Sega is now refusing to make good games. That's fucking unacceptable. Either they give us a proper Sonic 4 or we're not buying. If we must, it will be through emulation. This is just spitting in our faces. And we deserve to buy better products.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Retro Engine was never intended for Sonic 4. This is all just ridiculous fan pining. What Sega of America does (get the license for Retro Engine for use with future remakes instead of shoddy emulation and probably other uses if they feel so inclined) does not relate to what Sega of Japan (who is building Sonic 4: Episode 2 in collaboration with DIMPS) is doing.

If anything, look at Sonic Generations' 2D segments on BOTH sides, console and portable, to get an idea as to what Episode 2 will be closer to playing as.

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I wonder though, is there much complication in SEGA of Japan considering or taking a look at the Retro engine?

10. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I would think it's just pride. They probably think their shit's better than the Retro Engine.

I'm sorry, I meant bull-headed arrogance.

11. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I sincerely hope it costs them.

The demand for classic physics was ignored since the first trailer, and now it seems they're ignoring it again.

12. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    It was a budget for a crappy, small, downloadable game. They didn't want to delay it even further to re-test the levels over and over and over and over again.

And we don't know for sure if they're not going to have classic physics in E2. They haven't shown anything about it. And considering how much the physics in Classic Sonic's portions in Generations 3DS have improved, it seems like they're not ignoring it.

13. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    They only fixed uncurling though. And considering that poor little Iizuka wants to keep making the same shitty design choices and keep it constant through the Sonic 4 series, it's pretty safe to say that they refuse to develop proper titles out of some delusional ego trip that Iizuka's having.

And that's still not a good enough excuse for them to not use the Retro Engine. This isn't a 3D title. This is a 2D pre-rendered game in the same vein as Donkey Kong Country but with shitty JPEG quality environments. Changing the game code is only going to break the quality consistency between Episodes 1 and 2 for the better. And honestly, who doesn't want that?

14. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Sonic 4 doesn't use Pre-Renders though.

edit: as in Sonic, Eggman, enemies, and such

15. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    It being a crappy, small, downloadable game is no excuse, for the simple reason that nobody actually wanted Sonic 4 to be cast off as a shoddy, cheap, downloadable effort in the first place.

We've been telling Sega over and over and over again that we wanted a true, classic experience. They had the opportunity to change the damn name of the shite they were making, they now have the opportunity to make Sonic 4 as it SHOULD be, and they're willfully choosing not to do that, either through laziness or sheer arrogance. Either way, like E1 I'm not buying.

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    WAT?

Halo Waypoint is just a hub for Halo news that gives out awards for having achievements in the games.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I don't mind if Episode II has the same base physics as Episode I. What they need to do is fix the curve/wall walking, fix the mini bugs (breakable cliffs reappearing before they are totally offscreen, being able to walk in springs, not hitting boxes and enemies directly but bouncing off them a few pixels away) and I'm sure the next episode will feel a whole lot better, considering we're all now going to expect a 2D Sonic with 3D-styled controls this time around.

Anyone who really gives that much of a crap will get their kicks with Generations.

Anyway, who knows, Episode II might well have more classic-style physics, something which I doubt, seeing as they've got an excuse now, using Modern Sonic in a 2D game.

18. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    THANK YOU for ignoring the rest of my post.

As well, I said "similar" not exact. I'm fully aware Halo Waypoint is just for videos and a compliation of achievements and records. Since I actually do have the software and the Halo games that accompany the software. I was simply suggesting a software that combines all the episodes into one game instead of leaving all of the episodes separate from each other.

19. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Personally I am finding the physics of Sonic 4 Episode 1 to feel more suitable on PS3 than the demo of Generations classic Sonic. Something about the fancy graphics clashes with the original physics causing it to just feel strange. It could be that the classic physics are only that suitable for 16-bit graphics. New Super Mario Bros. Wii feels a lot different than Super Mario World. I think Sega should have made it one step closer to Mega Man 9 and 10 and downgraded the graphics to match the originals as well.

20. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    You know, we never got to see where Sonic's 2D graphical art direction could've gone had Knuckles Chaotix been successful and merited new 2D Sonic game installments on the Saturn. While I wouldn't mind a fully 16-bit Sonic 4 or Sonic 5, I wonder if they'd want to pick up where KC's art style left off and build something beautiful from there.