don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    According to Sonic Channel, the characters are, at present, still roughly the same age as in Heroes (with the exception of Rouge, apparently).

2. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    About the story... It sounds more like fourth wall breaking which means that the Time Line that's being devoured is the time line in the (obviously) real world which is meaning to erase the franchise from Gaming History. What does this also mean?

This infers that they're treating the two Sonics as separate characters. And that makes me happy.

3. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Erm... out of curiosity... why..?

4. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    If I had to guess, it's to mentally distance the Sonic that was in the classics from the one that ended up getting into all those varied shenanigans involving things like getting fresh with princesses or barfing lines about how awesome friendship and teamwork are. It's already silly to connect the character from one game to another of course since if you want to get technical, the character is constantly changing in every game, but I guess I can appreciate the sentiment.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Because there's never been any indication before that Classic Sonic is Modern Sonic, only younger. I like to think of them as 'the same character but different', for lack of any better, more logical explanation.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I think the bigger question he was getting at is "why does it make you happy that they treat the two Sonics as different characters?".

Which I stand behind, as well.

7. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    Azukara nailed it... Geeze I don't know how that was such a hard thing to understand.

That said, the storyline for Generations seems to be shaping up to be a saturday morning cartoon... Again. Probably a mix of Colors and Unleashed style, with slightly more wall-breaking. Sounds like something I'd enjoy, but sadly something I might cringe to as well.

Hm, maybe the writers will realize this isn't just a game for kids but for the oldbies who loved the classics and the teenage punks who grew up with Adventure 1 and 2. With that in mind, the story could probably have a shitload of inside jokes that true fans would get, and little kids would giggle at (they laugh at anything I swear...). For instance-- someone said this a while ago-- having the Chaotix crew in Crisis City's computer room.. Because it had a computer.

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It makes him happy because he hates all things modern Sonic, of course. Classic Sonic being treated as the same character as the poisonous, toxic Modern Sonic is just too much. It's too horrible to think of! But Classic Sonic being his own entity, unmarred by the machinations of the Modern era, pleases him greatly!

Atleast, that's what I think.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Compare to Wind Waker's place in the Zelda canon.

10. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

This is so... pointless.

11. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    C. Sonic and M. Sonic? Two different characters? Sweet.
    Don't get me wrong, I like both versions equally. But I just love the idea of C. Sonic being like M. Sonic's little brother instead of being a smaller version of the same guy.

But let's just hope he doesn't become this game's version of Chip. :v:

12. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Why do you guys care about canon in a Sonic game. It's a Sonic game.

13. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    Past sonic games are this game's thing. That's why.

14. Tito.

Tito.

Classic Sonic is the younger version of Modern Sonic... hence why he meets his "past self" when he goes back in time. They're not two different people (EDIT: even though they're two different characters for this game).

I might be the only one, but I've never actually viewed Classic and Modern Sonic as two different people, or even younger or older versions of each other. The transition from Sonic 3 & Knuckles to Sonic Adventure never really hit me as "WOW, SONIC GREW UP!"

It always seemed more to me like "this is what Sonic would look like if he was in 3D on a higher-powered system". I consider them both pretty much the same person, or at least I did. So the way Sonic Generations is presenting this idea, as Classic Sonic being a younger Modern Sonic does well in my book. I don't know how they'd explain them being two different people.

Having said that, as I've been paying more and more attention to this game, I've been viewing Classic and Modern Sonic as two different characters...

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Because there was a continuing canon in the Sonic games. Too bad the westerners never got to know about it until SA1, only to think Sonic was nothing more but "cool dude beats up fat guy". :colbert:

But really, I don't understand calling the two as seperate characters, for the same reasons Tito provided.

16. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I was aware of their being a story for Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles, CD, and both Adventure games. Other than that I never really bothered to think the games after those had a real continuity.

17. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
  18. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    Mind = fucked.

...ridiculousness aside, it's funny how that works out. Quite possibly, SEGA will find a way to go around this. Besides, it said it was "hard to tell" if Sonic was 18, and he was 15 or 16 in Sonic 3, canonically the game right before Sonic Adventure, so it's not really a stretch to say he wasn't 18 in Sonic 1/2, and was actually younger than that but got older by Sonic 3 (so he was probably 14... one whole year, whee). Though it's said that several days after the events of Sonic 2 Tails flew Sonic to Angel Island Zone, but idk, maybe his birthday was after the destruction of the Death Egg. EDIT: just read that bit about his age being "solidified" at 16 in Sonic Jam. Oh well :V

...Why am I over thinking this; SEGA never gave a definite answer until Adventure. They can do as they please I guess x_x

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yeah, pretty much the same here; considering that the continuity kinda tumbled into obscurity by Heroes and onward. Unleashed and Colors seemed to somewhat pick up continuity since then, so hopefully it expands back to how it was soon.

Either way that was more of a general point than saying it directly towards you.

20. Everrryone? I hope Ray and Mighty and Nack show up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.