don't click here

Chips Challenge Java

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by RAMPKORV, Aug 19, 2011.

1. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    Chips Challenge is a tile-based puzzle game. The original game was created for Atari Lynx, but most people who played it played the Windows version.
    The Windows version is a 16-bit app, and won't run on 64-bit Windows OS. This is unfortunate, and one of the reasons I decided to try to replicate the game in Java.
    When this game is

[​IMG]
    Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7349863/ccjava.zip

It uses the original data files, which are included in the .zip. You can run it with "java -jar ChipsChallenge.jar" to start it normally, or "java -jar ChipsChallenge.jar levelnumber" to start on level # levelnumber.

TODO:
    -Test so that all levels play properly - there are probably quite some subtle bugs
    -Implement all menu choices
    -Implement all dialogs
    -Fix Teeth movement to match original game exactly
    -Fix mouse movements to match original game exactly
    -Fix clone machine delays to match original game exactly
    -Make chip able to appear as looking in different directions when on force floor
    -Show level, password and hint text in right pane (it currently only prints to terminal)
    -Do not start the timer until the user makes a first move.
    -Stop and restart timers correctly when dying or completing levels.

My other goal with this project has been to try making it easy to extend in the future, by (at least trying to) use a good object oriented design. When the game is finnished, I'll make a mod of it with different multiplayer modes where people have to kill each other, collect the most chips, find exit first or similar things.

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    This sounds like everything I've been trying to do with my old VB.NET port, although as I used a custom map format, I could have levels of any size. Do you have any plans to do that or will all maps be the same size as the original game?

3. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    The game wants a GameLevel object, which can be of any size.

The source is here btw https://github.com/RAMPKORV/Chips-Challenge-Java

What one would do is write a different sub class of LevelFactory than my MicrosoftLevelFactory to create the levels. When I fork the project, I guess I will make a level editor and a custom format to store bigger levels.

4. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Pretty cool that this old game is playable once again.

5. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    So, I take it you haven't heard of Tile World before? It basically does what you did, but it supports both the old Atari Lynx style gameplay and the Windows port, as well as the ability to use custom tilesets. And I made one!

6. Tanks

Tanks

This is great. I can finally play chips in class on my x64 win 7 lappy. (Because running a VM drains the battery so damn much...)

7. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    I've very much heard of Tile World before. It is more accurate, but I expect my version to be as accurate too soon. Tile world's source is far more messy to read into, let alone try to extend, due to all C macros, function pointers and the like. My goal is to make a replica of all there was to the Windows version, and have it easy to extend. If you want to change tileset, you can alter tileset.gif, btw. It uses the same layout as the BMP files on this page http://home.comcast.net/~a_magical_me/newsite/chip/

EDIT: Heh, your Tile World tileset is on that page.

8. Tanks

Tanks

Just gonna point out that I'm pretty sure Passport.mid plays somewhere in the Windows version. Might want to look into that too if you want to be fully accurate.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Not with the default settings. Only CHIP01.MID, CHIP02.MID and CANYON.MID are set to play.

10. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    So it is! :o

11. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    It looked for Canyon.mid in C:\WINDOWS only, and CHIP01.MID and CHIP02.MID in the same folder.
    I'm implementing Slide Delay now ( http://chipschallenge.wikia.com/wiki/Slide_Delay ), which I thought was a bug, but have come to realize that others see as an important part of the game.

12. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Will you also be implementing controllers and bosses? (Please read this before you reply, guys!)

13. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Yes. I'll also make sure that both Controller & Boss glitch and Slide delay can easily be turned on/off in code if someone wants to.

14. Tanks

Tanks

So you're porting this to Android right?

(And don't tell me Chipper's Challenge just 'cause :/)