don't click here

MegaCD Death

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Amethyst, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Amethyst

Amethyst

I read somewhere that the problem could be due to dried out capacitors. The system will boot until just before the Sega logo appears, then it will freeze. Sometimes the period of time before the BIOS screen appearing and the boot up may vary.

Has anyone else had any other problems? I've tried googling around and checking out other posts, but I thought I'd ask you lot directly seeing as I'm sure alot of members own this add-on/system.

Thanks.

2. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    when cleaning the side connectors does not help you have a capacitor problem, and its not dried out caps but leaked out caps which means to more you wait the higher chance is for very nasty corrosion damage :/

3. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Hate to hijack the thread, but my Model 1 isn't turning on at all, what kind of problem(s) do I have?

4. Amethyst

Amethyst

I shall open it up and take a look.

*gulp*

EDIT: I forgot to add, mines a model one. PAL version (UK).

EDIT 2: I opened it up but all seems well. I hadn't turned it on for quite a while since the problem occured, and now the system seems to fail to power on.
    Sometimes both lights (ready + access) come on on power up and then turn off, but no bios screen is appearing.

5. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Mine didn't until I cleaned the side contacts with isopropyl alcohol, now it works a treat.

6. Amethyst

Amethyst

Ok I've got it working (more than before) but it freezes on the BIOS just before the SEGA logo

NVM it's just tempermental.

EDIT: I think I found the problem. Two capacitors on one of the chips have some gunk underneath. I'm guessing they are fucked.

EDIT2: Also found some green gunk on one of the feet of the BIOS chip. Might explain something.