don't click here

SonLVL

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The date on the exe and pdb in this release should be newer than the last SVN revision. The SSL certificate expired, so I can't commit to the svn.

Build and Run uses two entries in the main INI:
    buildscr=../build.bat ;build script
    runcmd=../s2built.bin ;run command

2. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Strange, my initial download ended up being one month older. I redownloaded and it was corrected. The build and run option is something I really enjoy, it reduces the need for me to open the project folder just to run the build.bat. All in all, it's coming along great.

Still hoping to see an art editor/importer at some point. :)

3. Master3k

Master3k

Wow!

I remember being "bashed" about 2 years ago for pointing out that SonED2 had too many "?" objects, meaning I can't properly place them sometimes.

Amazing job. I'm surely going to keep an eye on this program.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Now that the SVN is working again (for now)...
    • Added saving of Blocks, Chunks, Layout, Objects for SCDPC
    • Fixed alternate palette saving
    • Added Build and Run item to File menu
    • Replaced COMPRESS.EXE and EXPAND.EXE with SZDDComp.dll based on mscompress (SCDPC can be edited on Win64)

Next, I'm going to rewrite the way tiles/blocks/chunks files are handled, then I should be able to allow adding and removing, and possibly finally get around to art importing...

5. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Oh boy. :psyduck:

All I did was replace the release with the previous one...

Also: Still no art editor? You do plan to implement one, right? I hope so.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Right, I changed the object definition files too, you'll have to redownload them.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    So I finally finished with that rewriting I talked about earlier, so now I'll soon add the ability to add/delete tiles, blocks and chunks. Importing, however, is a bit more complicated. On the other hand, you can now import palettes from either MD-format files or images by right clicking on the palette editor.

And I may soon have object definitions for the 2005 S1 disassembly.

8. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    that's really good news for us 2005 S1 disassembly users :D

9. TomoAlien

TomoAlien

Poland
    This is far better than SonED2. This program actually has a GUI and it's WYSIWYG in a way that you can see the sprites how they will appear in the game. That means when you change the palette, the sprites will have a different one too. If you change the mapping and art for the sprites, the editor will reflect the changes.
    Also, it's not resolution restricted, that means if you have a HD monitor like me you can use it all, because in SonED2 you are limited to a small unresizable window.
    Also, the definition files for disassemblies aren't done yet, so I suggest you to all to contribute to this, will ya? Forgot to mention that it's open source, and that means everyone can contribute to it.

I know it sounds like advertising, but I really like this program a lot :P. I really suggest others to switch to this program, because it's a lot easier and a lot faster than SonED2.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    rev434:
    • Added additive and subtractive blending to the Alternate Palette Dialog
    • Added tile editor
    • Can now specify an INI file on the command line

11. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Perhaps this is a noob question. Forgive me. Where do I get the ini files to begin with???

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    For the SVN disassemblies, the INI files are included with the disassembly. For the 2007 S2 disassembly, INI files are here, as linked on the first post. For the 2005 S1 disassembly, very incomplete files are here.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Now you can cut, copy, paste, insert and delete by right clicking on the chunk, block and tile selectors.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    And I have added image importing for tiles, blocks and chunks. Paletted images are imported with the indexes intact, others use nearest color matching.

I'm not sure of the limits for tiles, blocks and chunks for each game, so it may not work if you add too much. I have placed a limit of 256 on chunks, because the level layout uses byte indexes, so you can't put anything over that in a level.

Edit: And now you can delete everything but palette files and S2LVL will create new ones when it loads.

15. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    This program is now officially superior than SonED2. Congratulations to you, man! :)

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    If you've been trying to use S2LVL with the S2 2007 disasm and it didn't work, redownload the INI/CS files.

17. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I could be missing something very obvious, but on trying this out and viewing my level art in the tile editor, I found I was able to scroll down all of my 128x128 chunks, but I wasn't able to scroll through my tiles and blocks. I was able to select them by right clicking on the block in the chunk and then right clicking on the tile in the block, so I know the editor has loaded them in fine, but the scrollbars have no room to scroll and are just shown as a fixed bar. Am I missing something, or is this something that has yet to be addressed?

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Thanks for reminding me, it's been fixed now.

Edit: And now there's a collision editor.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I am renaming S2LVL to SonLVL, because people keep thinking it only edits Sonic 2.

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    By complete, I mean that unlike SonED2, it can add tiles, blocks and chunks, and read sprite data from the game.