don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Well, Classic Tails was confirmed to be in the game. Probably for cutscenes and overworld stuff (like missions), but he's still there. Our hopes aren't smashed yet :v:

2. Crazee

Crazee

Classic designs for the Modern era characters could only happen if there aren't continuity issues. After all, you can't get Classic Shadow. He was on the Ark, or in the GUN Base. You could get Classic Rouge (now with no fan service?), or Classic Blaze. But I really doubt you'll get redesigns at all for Modern characters, except a minor redesign to fit the Unleashed art style. Silver and Perfect Chaos will look more cartoony, for instance.

We really have no idea what characters will show up, or how the HUB worlds work. We could see tons of characters from each era, or we could see only important characters and nobody else. All we know, right now, are the characters that you fight and the ones you do missions with.

I'm keeping my hopes up for an expanded hub to interact with characters.

3. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    That 3DS video looks terrible. What happened to the people who made this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-6Z-zNFO0I[/youtube]

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    New Sonic Generations 3DS screenshots (Nintendoeverything)

Why no new level shots SEGA? The special stage is nice and all but it can get boring when your second set of new screenshots is of the same fucking special stage.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Maybe because the special stage is the best looking thing in the game?

6. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    Timmit may, unfortunately, have a point here...

It makes me wonder- why didn't SEGA just make Sonic Unleashed gameplay for the 3DS with just some watered-down graphics? Because it's not HD? Actually, why not nerfed graphics for a PSVita version? If they didn't make a Wii version of Generations because of the lack of HD graphics, why go to the 3DS at all? The PSVita, although SONY (ew), has higher graphic capabilities than the 3DS IIRC. Did they just want to make a Sonic 3DS title and used Rush as an excuse to release it? :|

7. Megane

Megane

PONY TIME Member
    Leaping through time, putting things right that once went wrong, and hoping each time that the next leap will be the leap home.
    I'm sure they can break canon a little bit to make room for some more playable characters. Or else Sonic would remember all the newer characters after meeting them in his younger years, then be able to creep them well the fuck out when he meets them proper.

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Fine, but unless the 3DS version is turning into a blue-sphere-like game with heroes special stages, I want to see some of these GBA/DS stages they were boasting about, crap game or not.

Actually the 3DS version is or was the Wii version before it was canceled and moved to the 3DS. I don't think we have even SEEN shots of a PSV version yet.

9. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I believe it hasnt been announced for vita yet, or have I missed something?

10. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    ... Can you back up this claim?

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    He is secretly a Sega employee and accidently leaked some info! :v:
    Seems like he meant to say that we don't have shots of what a PSVita version would look like. Note that he says "a PSV version", not "the PSV version".

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Nintendo Power June 2011, Sonic Generations 3DS reveal issue, page 6 of the article and page 47 overall, 6th question asked to Iizuka on the page:
    [​IMG]

What I get from that statement is either It is the abandoned Wii version just retooled to make use of the 3DS more or they did abandon the Wii version altogether (which is dumb since they did already start development on the wii version) and built the 3DS version from the ground up.

EDIT: Thinking on it alittle, Iizuka could've ment anything by the word "development" from actually porting a wii version of the game to just throwing ideas around about a wii version. Maybe the 3DS version is a completely new game instead of a canceled port re-tweaked for the 3DS. We will never really know until hackers hack it and find anything left behind from the old wii build or corner Iizuka and ask him how far was the wii version in development until it was canceled for the 3DS version.

13. Squidgy

Squidgy

I was actually expecting that if any other characters were playable, excluding possibilities of Knuckles and Tails, they would most likely not be involved in the story. I have a feeling they'd be available as DLC or in a Time Trial mode, rather than in the story mode, so it wouldn't matter if classic versions never existed. I still think its a stretch, but I would really like to see other old (and new) characters get some love. Seeing how some of the characters have changed is always interesting, especially when they're side-by-side in the same game.

14. dsrb

dsrb

Whence your uncertainty? It says right there: “a fresh start with a N3DS version”.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    My uncertainty comes from it being wasteful to start something but then switch to something else and disregarding the stuff they built already. but check my edit of my last post I reconsidered my decision on my uncertainty since the statement itself is vague.

16. dsrb

dsrb

It makes little sense to me that the Wii version would be a 2D Rush offshoot.

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thus reconsidering my uncertainty. If anything the wii version would be a port of colors correct? But it is entirely possible that they are using assets they already made for the wii version for the 3DS version if they already started development of the wii version and then stopped.

I remember in an interview sometime back that still gets brought up in discussions to this day. the Wii dev team was working on a wii port for STH2006 but for whatever reason it was stopped and then used what they have done already to make sonic wildfire/secret rings. I was thinking originally that maybe the 3DS version was a case like that but it doesn't look like that. I think its more of a case of "Hey the wii is dying, fuck it move to 3DS it'll make more money then a wii version".

18. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Colours pretty much for sure started out as a version of Generations for the Wii. Enemys such as the Crabmeat actually have the little dance animation that they have in Generations, it's just never used. Also Sega never bothers to keep file names consistent between games, but for Generations the shared things from Colours such as Sonic and enemys are labeled "chr_Sonic_HD" and "chr_Sonic_SD" for Generations and Colours respectively; meaning they most likely made the assets at the same time for the same project which is why there are multiple leftover animations in Colours that are used in Generations.

19. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member

Inb4 we find out half the budget went into the special stages.

20. Man, its weird to be seeing all the negative opinions that the 3ds version is getting. Usually the portable versions are a lot more favored...
    It still looks fun. I'd buy it. Nothing that I have seen thus far is that deterring to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.