don't click here

Hacking and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by BadCopNoDonut, Jul 20, 2011.

1. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    So I'm having issues with the SonED programs not working. Either SonED 1 or 2. I've had them both work for me before, when I was running Windows XP. Now, no good. I've tried running them in compatibility mode but the shit just crashes. ESE seems to be giving me difficulties with pallete changing and trying to edit art as well. Really, I'm just trying to edit art for a hack that should (hopefully) get some lulz. Anyone know of any tricks to make things work again in Windows 7, or do I need to dig out my old Windows XP laptop(or would the utilities run on a mac? My g/f has one that I'm sure she'd let me take over for a bit).

2. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    SonED2 works flawlessly for me under Windows 7 x64. Are you sure you've got the latest version of SonED?

3. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    Yes I'm sure its the most current version. I re-downloaded it last night just to make sure.

4. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    It would be a little more helpful if you'd tell us what excactly doesn't make the program work. Like, does it crash right away? Do you have a black screen? You said it'd crash if you use compatibility mode, but that feature shouldn't be required anyway.

Do you have Windows 7 32 or 64-bit? I personally have Vista (yes I know....) 64-bit and it works perfectly, both the old version and the very new one.

5. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Megaman 2: The Robotnik Wars, Unnamed S3&K hack
    I am not sure if old ESE works on modern computers since it was compiled before the x64/64 bit revolution (why are you using old ESE to edit art/palletes anyway?), but I can verify that SonED2 works on Windows 7 x64/64 bit without compatibility changes, since I own one. Try running the program as admin. Are you sure you downloaded the latest version of Soned2 (v11.05.19), which can be found on here? I have verified that SonMapED works on Windows 7 x64/64 bit without compatilbity changes if you want to edit art.

6. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I remember I had some trouble getting sonED 2 to work on my laptop with windows 7, it would boot but whenever I selected open it would randomly close. I remedied this by entering the properties and tweaking some options. I remember I left the compatability section alone but tweaked some of the settings such as forcing 256 colour mode and finally managed to get it to work. Just try fiddling around with the things under properties.

7. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    I just upgraded, and still, same problem. I hit run batch, split the components, try to open up one of the .sep files, and oh hey, crash. I'd just use normal SonED 1 if the fucking thing would just work with Windows 7. I'm about ready to quit hacking altogether because apparently the programs and my computers aren't compatible any more and are giving me lots of trouble, when they worked just fine in the past. I'm not looking to make the next MegaMix here, just a quick thing for lulz. Probably would drop this Sunday if I could get shit straightened out.

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    You could try editing the art in some tile editor, then using S2LVL to edit the blocks, chunks, and layout.